spark plug tips soaked in oil

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I was changing spark plugs on my 1jz and two of the spark plugs were soaking in oil when i pulled them out. The whole tip was as if you dip them in oil and pull out right away. The oil looked fresh like from the bottle. Is it time for a new engine? What are my options for fixing this issue. The engine burns oils a bit and lets blue smoke out when you start it again after long runs. Thanks for any input.

Pernilongo;1095361 said:
I was changing spark plugs on my 1jz and two of the spark plugs were soaking in oil when i pulled them out. The whole tip was as if you dip them in oil and pull out right away. The oil looked fresh like from the bottle. Is it time for a new engine? What are my options for fixing this issue. The engine burns oils a bit and lets blue smoke out when you start it again after long runs. Thanks for any input.
Ok,
What i am guessing is that you dripped a bit of oil the last few times you changed your oil and it got into the plug holes. Just check if there is oil around the holes. I have had the same worry before. All that was happening was the oil was dripping onto the threads when i pulled the plugs out. Fresh oil shouldn't really sit on the plug if the cylinder is actually firing. I am guessing you are buring a bit of oil, but not a ton. Check your compression in the cylinders, that will give you a good idea. Having a tiny bit of blue smoke at startup isn't a huge deal.
Also make sure your valve covers are not leaking. Mine were and there were lakes of oil in the holes. I used a half box of q tips to clean it up.

Last edited:

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
viperkillertt;1095370 said:
Ok,
What i am guessing is that you dripped a bit of oil the last few times you changed your oil and it got into the plug holes. Just check if there is oil around the holes. I have had the same worry before. All that was happening was the oil was dripping onto the threads when i pulled the plugs out. Fresh oil shouldn't really sit on the plug if the cylinder is actually firing. I am guessing you are buring a bit of oil, but not a ton. Check your compression in the cylinders, that will give you a good idea. Having a tiny bit of blue smoke at startup isn't a huge deal.
Also make sure your valve covers are not leaking. Mine were and there were lakes of oil in the holes. I used a half box of q tips to clean it up.

No man i made sure that the oil doesn't get in to the spark plug wells. The valve covers are dry. the plugs are also dry from the outer part of the engine. the threads are dry also. Then i pulled the plug the oil was only in the tip of the plug all the way to that ring that seals the plug. So pretty much the oil was only on the part of the plug that is inside the cylinder.

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
Do a compression test and/or it might be your valve stem seals. Search either of those on this site