Spark Plug ignitor type and gap?

awtipton4

Nov 7, 2012
Tulsa Oklahoma
I was curious as to which brand plug and type of ignitor i.e copper platinum ect.... and what type of gap. I am running a stock bottom end with garrett TD06 20g boosting to 12 psi controlled through a HKS evc2 controller. RC550 injectors and lexus afm. i know it calls for NGK platinum's from the factory. Pulled and old plugs which where auto lite platinum's which showed to be running what i consider to be extremely rich, and was having a misfire issue under load in 3rd gear (AT trans)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I run ngk coppers pn 4644. My gap is around 25.

For 7m. 30-34 should be fine.

Can also use platinum or iridium. I'd use ngk tho. There better plugs.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Depending on what type of plug wires/ignition coils you are running, you may want to consider running BCR7ES plugs versus the BKR7E (4644). It doesn't seem to make too much difference, but the BC type plugs are the correct JIS height for the plug, while the BK are the ISO height (used on newer Toyota engines like the 1JZ/2JZ).

Might be harder to find though, not sure. I usually use Denso plugs.

Jeff

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Decked head and block and used a 1.4mm gasket. To keep the stock ratio, it would've needed a 2.0mm gasket ;D

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

awtipton4

Nov 7, 2012
Tulsa Oklahoma
thank you for everyones input, any input on wether or not to run a "hotter" plug since it is running rich, then again i should probably just live with that fact, rich is better than lean

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Backlash2032;1891621 said:
Decked head and block and used a 1.4mm gasket. To keep the stock ratio, it would've needed a 2.0mm gasket ;D

Mustve taken quite a bit off then!

And yes, 'rich' is annoying in that you go through gas faster, but it also means 'safe' and is less expensive by comparison

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Hmm... 8 thou off the head and 13 thou off the block? I think?