Spark plug change-Won't stay started

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Well, turned the lights off, didn't see any sparks from the wires. Also, swapped the battery, was hopeful as it was running good, but then took it for a drive and got to the first light and it started idling bad. I have some wires coming in, I will try swapping those to see what happens. Arghhhh!!!

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
huntin5L;1475490 said:
Well, turned the lights off, didn't see any sparks from the wires. Also, swapped the battery, was hopeful as it was running good, but then took it for a drive and got to the first light and it started idling bad. I have some wires coming in, I will try swapping those to see what happens. Arghhhh!!!

Any update? Just curious.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Wires are in order.

Sorry guys, was waiting on plug wires, took almost 3 weeks to get them, just got them in a few minutes ago. I changed the number 1 plug wire and it is still doing the same thing. Right now, I have no idea what to else to check. All I can say is the car runs good for a couple of minutes after I rev it up and then it starts idling like crap again. I feel like I am out of things to check, but I can tell you it has to be electrical. Maybe a ground wire or something, but why would the other cylinders be firing fine, just doesn't make sense.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Okay, popped in the plugs, didn't seem to change, still miss on cyl 1. However, I decided to put the timing light on 5 and 6 and they are flashing intermittently too, which they were not doing before. I didn't test any of the other wires. Now, I am really confused. I am done for tonight, tomorrow I will make sure though cyl 5 and 6 weren't touch each other when I got these results. Ignitor is the next step I guess.

Last edited:

chopstickz

Dec 3, 2005
SoCal
hmm not sure what to tell you. are you NA? check your dizzy cap, it might be bad. also to check timing on your 7mge if you have that, you're supposed to put it on spark plug wire#1

D7MSupra

Ive Infracted
Apr 6, 2008
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I had to throw away my exgirlfriends car because of this same situation. Do a compression check on your motor and see if its a blowbye issue. It has to be a faulty coil, wire , or broken sparkplug.

We almost replaced everything on my ex's ignition system. I replug and wired it 4 times and replaced all three of her coils. Not even the best mechanics I know could get it figured out. The car did not miss until I changed the plugs, wires, and oil. Me and 3 Mechanics came to the conclusion that the oil change killed her car since she hadnt taken care of it at all. Her old oil had over 10k miles and was pretty much dirt when I let it drain out. We decided that it was the motor itself and not the ignition sytem causing it to run like shit. She drove it until it wouldnt move anymore under its own power like that.

When is the last time you replaced your timing belt... I hear that if you overtighten the tensioner for it you'll ruin #1. I hope you can get her running right. I dont believe in timing lights really.. I listen to what it sounds like as I advance the timing... Electronic ignitions are a PITA. I wish turbo models had distributers... P.S. cant wait to here what peole say about setting time by ear.::dunce::

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Omg...:nono:

That is one of the most amazing stories I have ever read...just proves what I often say: mechanics will tell you almost anything, especially concerning oil.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
It definitely doesn't get better then that LOL

I will try and test the wires again tonight and then move onto the ignitor tests in the tsrm. I will post results.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
WOW! Let me shake those off!

Current status is that it starts, runs smooth for a few minutes, then it starts idling rough. Correct? Or will it not stay running and it dies?

I know you have been frustrated by this.... Just goes to show, no good deed go unpunished! You change your spark plugs, (good deed), now you are ready to drive it off of a cliff. Hang in there....

I know some the things listed below you have already tried. I ask you do it again.... sometimes it takes two or three times of doing the same thing to figure it out.

Did you change all of the plug wires? I see where you just changed #1....

Recheck and make sure you have the wires installed correctly. (I know you are rolling eyes), but mistakes happen and sometime it is hard to find your own mistake. Like Proof reading your own documents.... Tell us what cylinders are connected to what coil. Remember, this all started with the spark plug change.

Which brings up another thought. It is possible that one of your new plugs is damaged, maybe cracked. (Before you bought them some bonehead might have dropped one and put it back in the package). That could cause a misfire that you would never see. Especially after it gets hot.... might work ok cold, then when it heats up it shorts to the head. Just another possibility. I've been a bone head before and dropped and cracked at least one in my life.

From what I've read, you think you have the problem narrowed down to the #1 cylinder, right? If the car will run, and is idling rough, loosen the sparkplug at the coil so you can remove it with a pair of insulated pliers. With the car running, (and missing), pull the #1 plug off of the coil. If the engine miss remains the same, and does not get worse, and you see spark coming from the coil, you have narrowed it down to that cylinder. Since you changed the wire, you can rule that out. Pull the #1 plug. inspect it. Is it wet or dry? If it is wet then either the spark is not getting there at the right time, or is most likely not getting there at all. Check the the plug gap, check for damage and hair line cracks.... get a new one or heck put an old one back in.

If it is dry, that would mean no fuel. Put all the plugs and wires back together. Start it back up, idling rough still? Start proding the injector harness wire that feeds #1. see if by gently jiggling or moving the harnes the engine smooths out.

If you remove the plug from the coil and the idle gets worse.... all of the above might not pan out. But a cracked plug could cause some very strange issues.....

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I read that he swapped the old plugs back with no improvement.

When you see the timing light in two places, could you describe this in more detail. Also, what plug wire is your light connected to (most people use 6 since its easier to get to? Do you see the same timing issue with the sister wire connected to the same coil. They should show identical behavior since they are driven by the same coil.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
3p141592654;1490421 said:
I read that he swapped the old plugs back with no improvement.

When you see the timing light in two places, could you describe this in more detail. Also, what plug wire is your light connected to (most people use 6 since its easier to get to? Do you see the same timing issue with the sister wire connected to the same coil. They should show identical behavior since they are driven by the same coil.

I actually see the timing mark in two places, so it is impossible right now to set the timing correctly. Now, before I changed the plug wires I connected the timing light to the number 1 plug wire and it was flashing intermittently, meaning there is some type of electrical problem going on. I then thought, lets see how the timing light reacts on the number 6 plug wire and it seemed fine. Yesterday, I finally got my plug wires in and I just replaced the the number 1 cyl with no change, then I swapped them all out and still no change. During this time with the new wires in I had intermittent issues on number 1 cyl with the timing light, but now also on two other cylinders 5 and 6. However, I posted that I am going to test this again tonight, because maybe 5 and 6 were possibly jumping current to each other during the test if they were touching.

Scot- shake it off :icon_bigg
The wires are good, the wiring order is good (163425-left to right on coil packs) I changed the coilpacks with another set I have and tested them, they are good. The spark plugs are good, swapped them out for new, made no difference with either set I had in. All cylinders are getting spark, this issue is before the spark plug ruling out anything to do with the plugs. I had some broken clips on the plug wire/coil caps, I replaced them, they all snap in, so that is good. I checked the following per tsrm using a multimeter and all seemed good:

Plug wires
ISC valve
Coil Packs

The last thing I need to check is the ignitor. I read JJ's thread about rewiring the ground for this, so I will inspect this for any type of corrosion on the ground screw. This is the original so I wouldn't doubt that there is some crap built up in it.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Unless I missed it, did you check the alternator output voltage and the battery voltage before you start it and while it's running?