Spacer between Flywheel and Block

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
Hi guys

im having a issue where im not able to activate the clutch on my newly fitted R154 gearbox.

There is clutch but just wont go properly into any gears, a friend running a similar setup said i need to remove the spacers between the Flywheel and Block.

Soo before i go about removing the gearbox, ID like to know if it is advisable to remove theese spacers ? they are very thing so im not sure if it will make a difference ?

also will the flywheel knock onto the block with the spacer removed ?

thanks

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
Pinetown-20130219-00503.jpg

hey supraguy@aol

this is what the spacer looks like

Indigo mk3 yeah i get gears with the engine switched off

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I swore up and down mine wasn't backwards as I installed it myself. It turned out it was. Drop trans and check it.

Besides I don't see how spacers behind the flywheel would affect clutch engagement because the clutch disc & pressure plate is mounted onto the FW itself. Go ahead and remove the spacers... while you're at it flip the clutch disc to the correct side before you put the trans back up.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Put the car on jack stands, with the motor off, put the car into 1st, push clutch in, and have a friend turn the rear tires, if you hear a grinding noise or metal to metal it's backwards,

then verify by pulling the pressure plate away from the flywheel and looking into the access cover and look for the raised side on the flywheel, it must face towards the back.

don't ask how i know this.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Zumtizzle;1921945 said:
then verify by pulling the pressure plate away from the flywheel and looking into the access cover and look for the raised side on the flywheel, it must face towards the back.

Yeah, didn't think about that. You don't have to drop the trans to check for it. Duh.

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
Zumtizzle;1921945 said:
Put the car on jack stands, with the motor off, put the car into 1st, push clutch in, and have a friend turn the rear tires, if you hear a grinding noise or metal to metal it's backwards,

Did that buddy, i jacked whole car off ground, put into 1st gear and started it, rear wheels turn fine with no noises. But with car switched off i cant put the car into gear. i have adjusted pedals, even lenghthed the rod on the slave. no such luck

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
Did that buddy, i jacked whole car off ground, put into 1st gear and started it, rear wheels turn fine with no noises. But with car switched off i cant put the car into gear. i have adjusted pedals, even lenghthed the rod on the slave. no such luck

IJ are you seriously sure ?? Shit so why does my car even have thoose spacers. i have seen them there. just didnt want to take them off

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Have you even looked at the TSRM when you were putting everything together or did you completely ignore this beautiful book filled with all the knowledge you'll ever need that you clearly need a few doses of?

Here you go, this will clearly show you this is for an automatic transmission. http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291210/catalog.aspx?F=3502&P=1

Also when installing your clutch disc itself, there's a labeled side as to where it goes.

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
hey bud

yes i do have the tsrm and i installed the flywheel side facing the flywheel, so thats why im saying that the clutch disc is the right side.

my question was on can the spacers be removed without having any implications

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
And since you've now been told that the spacers are for the automatic, and NOT for the standard transmission, you should have your answer.

If the clutch is not properly engaging, it's possible (probable?) that the flywheel was not machined with the proper step down.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
24vtoy;1921984 said:
hey bud

yes i do have the tsrm and i installed the flywheel side facing the flywheel, so thats why im saying that the clutch disc is the right side.

my question was on can the spacers be removed without having any implications

Okay I believe that I didn't spell it out enough for you.

Manual transmissions do not use a spacer. Repeat NOT. If you used the TSRM you would know.

On a side note, have you properly bled the air from the system when you reinstalled the transmission? Since you also installed the spacers, is your clutch release hub still in usable condition? Along with all the spring clips and washers? Did you install the clutch fork in properly?

Here, http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-clutchreleasehubkitr154.php

24vtoy

May 17, 2011
durban
ok thanks bud, i will remove the spacers this weekend.

i've converted mine to use the releaser bearing style with clutch fork (like how the w58 gearboxes are) i also have a custom made solid plate clutch and double diagphram pressure plate installed so it abit different from how tsrm explains it.

if you could pm me your email address il send u a small video through the inspection key point on how everything is moving, maybe would be better to explain it that way ?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Ok, 18 posts later, you decide to mention that you have a completely custom clutch system that's been designed to work as a push-type??

lmao.