SP61GT wastegate problem?

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
Hey guys..I have a SP61GT turbo on my 7mgte. I took it out for a drive today to continue working out the bugs from my 7mgte swap to my MK2. When I start boosting(HKS 4 boost controller off) My boost goes to 19 psi according to my aem boost gauge. Does this mean my wastegate is set for 19 psi or maybe its malfunctioning and not opening when it should?

Does anyone know what this turbos internal wastegate is set at from SP?

I finally got my intercooler couplers from blowing off all the time(damn thats a headache).

Can my boost controller control the waste gate to open at 14 psi if its a 19 psi wastegate?

If my questions are confusing its because im sorta confused if you can tell.:icon_conf

Thanks in advance.

Jake

UberSupra

Apr 7, 2005
Calgary, Canada
www.UberSupra.com
My SP-61GT is a first gen model and they had this issue with boost creep. The spring is set to 1 bar (14.7PSI). I removed the turbo and smoothed out the wastegate port with a grinder. Your boost controller won't be much help.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
The SP61GT is internally gated with a 1 bar spring. The cast iron housing has a tendency to overboost due to the flapper door being too small and in some cases rusting shut. I saw 21PSI once with the EBC off. Best thing to do is send it back to Tim at SP and modify it for a larger flapper door. Porting it yourself will do nothing, or close to it.. I can tell you that from experience.

You cannot turn down the boost with the EBC unfortuntely.

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
WOW!! You guys respond fast. I dont know if mine is an earlier gen sp61gt or not...is there a # indicating this on the turbo?

1st -I will check the wastegate actuator rod...tweek it if needed...

2nd-If the above doesnt work, I will remove it and check the flapper, and if it looks like some of the pics then I will coordinate with SP for the cure.

One more question....Since this has a 1 bar spring and I get the wastegate to work properly at 1 bar.....will my boost controller work on an 18psi setting on say low and 20 psi high? Or is this HKS EVC 4 a waste of $?

I live at 7200' above sea level..so that much boost is alot lower than at sea level.(im sure you all know this)

ABQMK2

Mar 8, 2007
Keller TX
forums.celicasupra.com
Thanks for rubbing it in Mr. Vance AFB!! I feel bad for you since your stuck there in the middle of nowhere with your 14 steady psi :icon_razz ! Are you in ATC or pilot training? Im in the aviation career field myself. Its cool to see another aviation guy with a supra!