sp61gt - rebuild or replace

jaxtaterror

Mar 21, 2007
jacksonville, fl
Checked the shaft play on my sp61gt bolt on last night, and sure enough, lots of side to side play (didn't notice and fore to aft). Burns lots of oil, won't boost past 10psi, just started whining.

I think the damage was done by my greddy type R BOV not releasing properly, but I seem to remember other folks having problems withe the early sp61gt (mine was among the first). I've had it for probably 5 years, but probably less than 5000 miles.

So, can the turbo be repaired and be reliable, or should I go with something different (Boss?)? I'm happy with the power and spool characteristics of the turbo, just want it to last longer.

Can it be upgraded to BB, and if so, does anyone know how much more quickly it would spool with BB?

Any recommendations on where to send it (I'm in FL)? I've seen Driftmotion recommended in other posts and have purchased from them before.

Lots of questions, I know - appreciate any help.

Don

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
BB turbo's are not very user friendly as they have very specific oiling requirements iirc...they spool faster but they are much more prone to fail.

Your turbo can be rebuilt I'm sure with more modern parts etc but it really comes down to how good the guy is at building a turbo...

It comes down to you and what you want....you ready for a new set up...

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Have you contacted SP to see if they could do anything for you?

gaboonviper85;1356359 said:
BB turbo's are not very user friendly as they have very specific oiling requirements iirc...they spool faster but they are much more prone to fail.

They dont have any different needs then a journal bearing turbo.
They aren't prone to fail, they just have a smaller range of unacceptable conditions they will tollerate. Even then, they arent going to just blow up because they feel like it.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
First, I would contact SP. Sounds like you're already out of any warranty work possible, but at least call them and talk to them.
Next, the SP61 is, for the most part, a garrett turbocharger. All the parts inside can be replaced by garrett parts. If the bearing housing and the wheels (both compressor and turbine) are aok, then rebuild might be cheap.
If the wheels and bearing housing are shot, it may possibly be cheaper to replace it then rebuild it.

jaxtaterror

Mar 21, 2007
jacksonville, fl
OK - thanks guys. I'll talk to SP, although it seems like I've heard some things lately where they were very slow.

I found a number of good recommendations for Evergreen turbo in Ocala FL, which is just an hour and a half from me. Might see what they can do as well.

Thanks,
Don