SP61GT finally here

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
made some comparisons after the removing the CT. I hope to get this running today. (sat). The alamo elbow bolts are stuck pretty good so i probably wont remove the elbow but yall know what it like there. The housings are quite different. More so than in the pics.

Attachments

• CT-SP intake 3.jpg
    CT-SP intake 3.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 47
  • CT-SP housing 2.jpg
    CT-SP housing 2.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 44

supralover2000

12.8 and dropping..
Apr 4, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
Nice set up....good luck with the install. those SPxx have a bitch bolt that is super hard to work with when you are mounting it on the stock mani. BTW.. 7.5 psi spring?? So you don't plan on running more than 15psi (since any boost controller will only be able to go as high a doubling the wastegate spring's pressure). If you plan for more boost than the 15psi, you might want to change that spring before putting it all together. Good luck and ENJOY it!

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
Finally got the sp61 in tonite. It took longer than expected. The dp is a tight fit. It barely touches the tranny support brace. The dp almost touches the wall; less than two inches away. The speedometer cable had to be moved out of the way so it would not be piched. The heat sheild at the speedometer cable had to have the top lip bent back flat so it would not hit the dp. It all screwed together tightly. Looks great.

I have installed the 720s and have to get the aem ecu changed over to the larger injectors and have it tuned. Really want to drive it now but have to wait till it is properly set up.

Attachments

• SP61GT installed side 2.jpg
    SP61GT installed side 2.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 40
  • SP61GT engine bay 1.jpg
    SP61GT engine bay 1.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 32

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Halsupramk3 said:
Finally got the sp61 in tonite. It took longer than expected. The dp is a tight fit. It barely touches the tranny support brace. The dp almost touches the wall; less than two inches away. The speedometer cable had to be moved out of the way so it would not be piched. The heat sheild at the speedometer cable had to have the top lip bent back flat so it would not hit the dp. It all screwed together tightly. Looks great.

I have installed the 720s and have to get the aem ecu changed over to the larger injectors and have it tuned. Really want to drive it now but have to wait till it is properly set up.

You got the same SP-61 set-up I do. I wanted to warn you about the speedo cable...if it's too close to the downpipe, it will melt. Once the heat gets to the plastic inner core that covers the cable itself, it will melt too then turn solid when the car is parked. Next time you move, the cable twists up and snaps :(

I had to get a new speedo cable because of this...I protected the cable with heat wrap and then encased it with heat tubing. Move it as far away from the downpipe as you can.

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
thanks for the info. I will secure the speedo today. Hopefully the coating will help keep heat away from the cable

Jduub what kind of intake did you connect to the turbo?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Halsupramk3 said:
thanks for the info. I will secure the speedo today. Hopefully the coating will help keep heat away from the cable

Jduub what kind of intake did you connect to the turbo?

Replied to your PM. My downpipe is coated too...still melted the speedo. You definately need to protect it from the heat; this set-up places it way too close to the downpipe.