south bend clutches

Status
Not open for further replies.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
who is using them and how do you like it? good clutch for 1jz? thinking about the rally series stage 1. south bend says the hold 400 ft. lbs. should be fine for my 1jz with intake,exhaust,ebc @15, ic/hp. but want others opinions on them, will these clutes give problems with crank walk? thanks

MIke

Ryan_V

Mar 1, 2009
Austin
A friend has the Southbend Feramic, and it's held 700+whp in his Supra. He raves over how good the clutch is.

I will be using the sprung hub South Bend Feramic when I change my clutch.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
I have purchased the stage 3 full face for my 1jz, the build is still in progress, so i cant attest to how good it is, but i did alot of reading before i bought a clutch, and i have read nothing but great things about the quality and durability. I can say though, it looks to be made of good quality parts. And before you order, definitely get the cryo treatment! Its a great price they are offering, and i wish i would have gone ahead and done it. It will help make the clutch and PP even more bullet proof.

p1284503_1.jpg

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
kabanimk3supra;1284513 said:
I had one in my 240sx, I wish I had one in my supra.

they are badass.

I'm researching them right now to replace my SPEC Stage III (POS!). The SPEC held my horsepower, but it chatters like crazy and I just don't like how it feels. I've also heard quite a few bad opinions on SPEC clutches. I have an oil leak in my tranny front seal right now so it's in the shop getting fixed. The SPEC is oil soaked, so now's the time for me to get a new clutch.

I've heard great things about South Bend clutches. I'll probably get their OFE Stage 3 which is supposed to be pretty streetable yet hold up to 520 Ft. Lbs of torque. I'm waiting for a call back from them right now to make sure that it's the right choice and I'll order today.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
nuggets;1335027 said:
I'm researching them right now to replace my SPEC Stage III (POS!). The SPEC held my horsepower, but it chatters like crazy and I just don't like how it feels. I've also heard quite a few bad opinions on SPEC clutches. I have an oil leak in my tranny front seal right now so it's in the shop getting fixed. The SPEC is oil soaked, so now's the time for me to get a new clutch.

I've heard great things about South Bend clutches. I'll probably get their OFE Stage 3 which is supposed to be pretty streetable yet hold up to 520 Ft. Lbs of torque. I'm waiting for a call back from them right now to make sure that it's the right choice and I'll order today.

I hate SPEC clutches! The first one I received from them had a manufactures defect that almost caused me to buy another lightened flywheel. Luckily, Jason (IdealSupra) saw it just before we started tightening the tranny down to the motor, or the brand new lightened flywheel I had would have been toast.

I ordered another SPEC III clutch plate and put it in. I sent the original clutch plate back to SPEC and they said they wouldn't reimburse me for it, even though it had zero wear on it.

I had sent my car out to Aaron (DriftMotion) to complete my swap (long story), and when he pulled the motor back out to replace my rear main seal, he saw that the 2nd clutch plate was warped. Again, no reimbursement from SPEC. It had wear on the friction surfaces, but only because the car was started and it idled in neutral and it rubbed the flywheel due to being warped.

Aaron put in an ACT and I've never had any problems with it. It chatters a little, but, it is a great clutch.

Fuck SPEC and the horse they rode in on.

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I am running a HPF Bronze 6 puck, which is just a worked over Southbend... no complaints yet. Its not as nice as the RPS Max 6 puck, but saved a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.