Sounds like a blown shock but shocks are new?

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Okay i have this thumping coming from the rear right shock area of the car that basically sounds like a bad shock.. or so i thought. I got some new tokiko HP's and threw those on there and while doing so i noticed that the mounts looked to be in pretty good shape, no cracking or tears and still nice and rubbery feeling. Now that i've had them on for a bit i've noticed that it's still making that noise. What could be causing this, any ideas?

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I had a set of Tokicos on my jap spec one when I was in Germany, and the same one that you are having problems with was bad on mine as well. After calling the company I got them from and they decided to send me a new shock, I found out that even though I had tightened the shit out of the shock mount in the trunk, it was still loose after some driving. All three nuts had backed off about 2 turns which was enough to make the thumping sound that I was hearing. Check the tightness, if that doesn't work then contact the people that you got it from and let them know the shock is bad and that you want a replacement.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Never had a problem when i had tokicos but double check the top nut and the rest of the suspension.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
91Supra313;1625147 said:
I had a set of Tokicos on my jap spec one when I was in Germany, and the same one that you are having problems with was bad on mine as well. After calling the company I got them from and they decided to send me a new shock, I found out that even though I had tightened the shit out of the shock mount in the trunk, it was still loose after some driving. All three nuts had backed off about 2 turns which was enough to make the thumping sound that I was hearing. Check the tightness, if that doesn't work then contact the people that you got it from and let them know the shock is bad and that you want a replacement.

Had the same thing happen on mine.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Turns out I didn't tighten up the main shock mount nut up enough and that was causing the noise. FYI, these tokikos have a much more harsh ride if anyone wanted to know anything about them.