Sound Performance - SP 6262 Turbo input

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just wondering if anyone has any fore knowledge or opinion on the Precision SP6262 Turbo.

Im about to purchase it as a direct bolt-on replacement for my CT26 60-1 (cant go T4 for another 2-3 years due to other upgrades planned). Everything looks good on it, but finding other people who have slapped this on a 7MGTE isn't easy.

I considered the Boss Sr., but this one looks like it may be just as good and I can still keep my 3" DP and stock manifold.

(quick rundown of current engine: Rebuilt 7MGTE with 1.2 Cometic HG, ARP studs, Wiseco Forged Pistons, 550 injectors, Lexus AFM, DM CXracing 7M Intercooler upgrade, AFPR, AEM Uego Wideband, HKS EVC-S boost controller, full 3" exhaust using HKS 3" catback and Raptor Racing 3" Divorced (reintegrated) Downpipe with integrated turbo elbow)

I want to purchase this turbo, stabilize the car and then go full standalone with a HKS Fcon Vpro 3.3 (7M chipped) and various sensor upgrades and additions.

Anyone know of a SP6262 running on a 7M this way as the CT26 replacement? (pretty sure there are 2 people here considering or in the process of doing the same thing)

Should also mention, I talked to Sound Performance and they are now only being sold with dual ball bearing setups. There is an option for a STD or HP actuator. Not sure what to base the choice on for the actuator really.. I doubt I will ever want to run higher than 20 PSI on my current setup and the HP actuator is for 18-30 psi. Pretty sure I should just run with the STD actuator (12-25 psi) as I don't see ever topping 25 psi.

There may be a different reason for choosing STD or HP that I haven't figured out yet.

No idea about AR on the turbo and from my reading (and I could be totally wrong) I don't think that it matters on this turbo because its limited due to the stock manifold DP and internal wastegate. I am aware that I will have to fab the oil lines and it is a waterless turbo (dual ball bearing), plus I will have to deal with the intake pipe and already upgraded the intercooler, so its a matter of mating pipe1 to the turbo. 62 mm exducer and 62 mm inducer seems to be nice size but no idea about overall housing and flow on this turbo.

I find the CT26 60-1 a bit restrictive... am I going to run into the same issue here? All I am trying for is a nice solid 350-400 rwhp MK3 without my current boredom after I get a boost spike.

All input is accepted! :)

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hoping its "as advertised". I could have bought a setup from DM for what I paid for this. We will see I guess. I hate used items because its generally not a personal design choice, but that of the previous owner, but as long as its the Hks manifold (truly) and nothing is damaged, I think I will be happy. The only thing that worries me is the rusty manifold that is wrapped so I can't tell what it is.
If its not the actual hks manifold I will probably send it back. Talking to leftynridge (the seller) I think it's the real deal, so we will see. My shop warned me against it for a couple of reasons.

Wondering... How hard is it to get the waste gate to not vent to atmosphere? Is there a benefit/downside to either? This will be my first external wastegate setup as well as first T4.

It sucks being unfamiliar with such an important part of the car. I understand the turbo system on paper, but in real life? These are expensive lessons I am learning.. lol

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
The downside to dumping the gate is that it is loud, and covers up the nice tone of the exhatust lol. Besides that, there really isn't any downside. I have mine dumping at the moment but will be switching to a recirculating setup in the future.

Also i believe Mark87t is running a 6262sp bolt on, and he loves it. He made 618hp on e85

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah I'm looking for a conservative tune in the end. 300 hp is a lot of fun, 350 is just a lot of giggles. Anything over 400 on my car would just make me smile a lot.

Of course if I ever get the race track 1/4 mile bug, that would all change... Lol.
I'm not out to beat anything, just want a respectable street mk3 with the odd "yeehaw!" Known as a hard pull.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
That's what I am hoping. Its going to be interesting to dyno it prior to the standalone system being installed and then getting the before/after mixed in with the Lexus AFM/550 upgrade 57 Trim dyno. Just to see what happens across the board.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just as a footnote... Have gone about 3000 km on this turbo and it is a beast. 385 rwhp at 12 psi.
Even with the smaller ar, it still spools a bit late, so I'm going to put a QSV on it next spring.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
What manifold did you end up going with? or did you do the SP bolt on style? The 6262 correct?

Maybe I am just too used to larger turbos now, but I rode in my good friends 6262 .63 a/r 7m car and that thing was insane with spool.