Sound Performance / Precision 5557 Bolt on turbo - thoughts/opinions?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
http://www.spracingonline.com/store/Precision_CEA_Billet_87-92_MKIII_Supra_Direct_Bolt-On_Turbo/3143

Now that, looks like an interesting upgrade. Price is good, and precision, to my knowledge have a good reputation. Question is - in the images, it looks like the water feed bolts up to it as well, yet someone from SP just told me via email it doesn't use the water lines (??). There are no compressor maps available either, apparrently. Also - there's nothing to indicate what kind of exhaust flange it has - CT26 style? T3/T4? V-Band?

Anyone running this turbo, or made similar enquiries about it?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Looks like these are new versions with billet wheels. Prolly similar to the same size from precision but bolts to the stock manifold.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Kai;1971027 said:
I never went JZ - you must be confusing me with someone else!

Must be.

Anyways, they bolt up just like stock. i don't know if they use coolant ports, but they do use the stock manifold, and downpipe. basically just like stock just much better. You could always email sp about the coolant ports.

If they do indeed use the billet wheels, and are the newer chra's i would imagine they don't use the coolant ports. I believe they are also just basically the same as the t3/t4 turbo versions, just in the ct26 housing.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It used to be 57/61/67mm. Now they offer 6262 and the such with the billet cea wheels. Prolly only oil cooled.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
emericaskater285;1971036 said:
Must be.

Anyways, they bolt up just like stock. i don't know if they use coolant ports, but they do use the stock manifold, and downpipe. basically just like stock just much better. You could always email sp about the coolant ports.

If they do indeed use the billet wheels, and are the newer chra's i would imagine they don't use the coolant ports. I believe they are also just basically the same as the t3/t4 turbo versions, just in the ct26 housing.

When you say downpipe do you mean a standard CT26 elbow would fit, or just the downpipe section?

atmperformance;1971040 said:
the dual ball bearing does not use coolant but the journal bearing does look through their options for the turbo.

Thats what i thought as well, but was then told by someone at sound performance, via email, that it wasn't water cooled, thus leading to my confusion.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
The pictures they have up are of the older units i believe that were water cooled. I am not positive on that, but I think thats how it is.

And yes, the whole down pipe. it is basically the stock turbo housing. just the center section (chra) is different, along with larger wheels on both the exhaust and intake.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Thanks to this thread, i found someone that bought this turbo - looks to be direct bolt on, in terms of exhaust downpipe/elbow! :)

cricketjoe;1814158 said:
Just in case if anyone is interesting in the Precision 5857 bolt-on FROM Sound Performance; the turbo will have a different compressor housing and looks to have minimal fitment issues. Sound Performance rotates the housing and center section to the correct positions and redesigned the wastegate actuator bracket. The compressor housing that SP sold me did not have the surge ports. It will fit stock accordian hose and it looks like it will not need a 1/2 inch spacer between the manifold and turbo flange. Although I haven't installed it on my car it looks to have very little room when I mocked it up on a spare manifold. I may still need to rotate the compressor housing. Enjoy.

DSCF0013.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG

DSCF0015.JPG

DSCF0006.JPG

DSCF0020.JPG

mock fitment with washer to serve as the manifold to turbo gasket. hope the stock gasket is the same thickness... haha
DSCF0022.JPG

cricketjoe

Mar 27, 2010
CA
I've had this turbo since last year and I daily drove my car back then. This was my setup was the usual lex/550, afpr and piggypack. Stock head and cams. Bottom end is built but nothing special that'll effect the hp numbers much. My 5857 stock wastegate pressure was ~10psi which netted 267hp. 14psi increased hp to 363 and ~18psi increased hp to 400hp. I run 91 octane gas so on the 18 psi setting I also ran water/meth injection.

During tuning on the 18 psi setting we had some stubborness getting the wastegate to hold that pressure with an aem tru-boost. I tightened the wastegate actuator arm and now it'll hold 18 but occasionally see 20psi spike when its cold. I nearly have to max out the setting on my boost controller to get 18-20 psi.
512031EE-3327-41C0-9D52-3A4EF774BDD0.jpg

DSCF0098.JPG

DSCF0092.JPG

DSCF0101.JPG

Spool starts at 3500 and full at 3800 depending what gears I'm in. Please excuse my noobness at driving a stick. I just started driving a stick when i Made the video. I don't know how to embed so you can just click on it.

http://youtu.be/liPjkyz1Uo8

If you look at my other posts I have stacked a few SS gaskets to try and create some clearance because it sit very close to the exhaust manifold. Widemouth downpipes or wide elbows should bolt-on with no issues. Turbo does not have an area for the stock oil dipstick. Make your own bracket.

DSCF0080.JPG

DSCF0077.JPG

7002CD37-16F3-458A-9F0F-D9DA240EED4C.jpg

I used SP's oil kit for the oil drain and feed. Only complaint of the oil kit is that SP uses a non oil compliant hose section. Mine is swollen and weeping oil.

DSCF0074.JPG

check out the guy's reaction near the corner of the hood. Lol

http://youtu.be/WaAuknyqbzU

Overall it was a good setup but I felt like the stock ecu and piggyback was holding me back. If I had a standalone I'm sure I could have hit over 450. I haven't had any problems with this Precision turbo.

I just noticed this geared towards the 5557. I wouldn't bother with the smaller version. Go 5857 or go bigger.

I should also mention that the pictures on SP's website are the older bolt-on that used water lines. The new turbos are waterless.

Last edited:

mark1987supra

work in progress
May 26, 2008
Des Moines
I am the one that emericaskater285 was talking about running one. Mine is an older SP61 bolt on with a 18 psi wg spring & the rest of the major mods are in my sig.

Ceramic Coated Exhaust System.jpg
You should always check your turbo and clock it for your setup. I did not have to use any spacers or anything to clear the exhaust manifold.
Divorced Turbo Connection.jpg
I am running a BIC divorced down pipe.
Chicago 0.5 mi first run.jpg
Here is my time from a 1/2 mile drag race in Chicago earlier this year. The car has more in it has having a couple of issues.
Dyno # 1 E55 25psi.jpg
Initial dyno tune around New Year of 2012. A 700+tq clutch was not holding (the car made 609 wtq this year) @24psi, and the diff was only putting down power to 1 tire.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
which one of these would you guys recommend for around 500 wheel? i plan on bc stage 2 or 3 cams down the line, and a rebuild with oversized probe forged pistons, etc... also, i'll be tuning with megasquirt soon. that said, i'll be running it on a stock block for a while till the new motor is built.

lastly, is there a bb version of these, and would it be worth it?
i'm not looking to make incredible numbers. i'd be thrilled with around 500 wheel in an all around driveable car.

mk3supralove

Sep 14, 2012
Kelowna
I would go with the stage 2 cams, the stage 3 cams require a upgraded head and much more tuning.

Sent from my LG-P500h using Tapatalk 2