sound advice needed....

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
I'm looking for ideas on my soon to be sound system. I don't want one that that is overly exspensive, but I want one that sounds good & all the speakers are installed in the stock places (ie it won't fill the back hatch). Any advice?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Talk to Mattjk about speakers. I think he knows a little sumtin sumtin about them. I also think that Jeff, aka boost lee knows a little too. We may even have a sound expert on here since we have all kind of other experts. Good luck.................lol

Edit: I found this here while searching for an expert. I don't know if it will help you or not.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37878&highlight=sound+system

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16359&highlight=sound+system

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34565&highlight=sound+system

Last edited:

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
infinity kapa 4" front
infinity kapa 5"1/8 rear

eventualy maybe 1-2 10-12" wolfer in rear but down the road.
I ripped out the cheap old thin speakwire ran monster wire to replace them.

for the player i use a pyramid graffic EQ active (inculdes amp inside) and an IPOD to plug into the front 60 gig juke box amp speakers all i need.

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE said:
infinity kapa 4" front
infinity kapa 5"1/8 rear

eventualy maybe 1-2 10-12" wolfer in rear but down the road.
I ripped out the cheap old thin speakwire ran monster wire to replace them.

for the player i use a pyramid graffic EQ active (inculdes amp inside) and an IPOD to plug into the front 60 gig juke box amp speakers all i need.

Do 4'' fit in the fronts, hmmm because I was going to get 3.5'' Bose for the fronts, if 4'' fit then i'll gladly do that... and by the rear, which rear are you referring to, that right next to the back headrest, or the pair behind them...??

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Hey Rakkasan,

Fill us in a little bit.. What are your goals with this? Why are you changing your system (replace current setup, substantial upgrade, etc...)? What type(s) of music do you listen to? If you had to choose, loud or clean? How much are you realistically looking to spend (keep in mind, it's better to do this right the first time and be happy with it, than to not be satisfied and have to shell out more to upgrade later)? I know you said you want your speakers in stock locations, but are you willing / able to do a bit of simple customization (not necessarily anything seen when the car is put back together, but modifications to fit different size speakers that may better suit your tastes / wants... I know I like to keep my rides appearing stock)?

-James

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
theprodigy79 said:
Hey Rakkasan,

Fill us in a little bit.. What are your goals with this? Why are you changing your system (replace current setup, substantial upgrade, etc...)?
theprodigy79 said:
I want to upgrade the entire system. I'm looking for a double DIN in dash (non motorized) DVD/NAV & some new speakers
What type(s) of music do you listen to? If you had to choose, loud or clean?
theprodigy79 said:
definitley clean
How much are you realistically looking to spend (keep in mind, it's better to do this right the first time and be happy with it, than to not be satisfied and have to shell out more to upgrade later)?
theprodigy79 said:
I'd like to keep my total around $800 or less....
I know you said you want your speakers in stock locations, but are you willing / able to do a bit of simple customization (not necessarily anything seen when the car is put back together, but modifications to fit different size speakers that may better suit your tastes / wants... I know I like to keep my rides appearing stock)?

-James
Modifications are fine as long as they're not seen

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
theprodigy79 said:
Hey Rakkasan,

Fill us in a little bit.. What are your goals with this? Why are you changing your system (replace current setup, substantial upgrade, etc...)?
I want to upgrade the entire system. I'm looking for a double DIN in dash (non motorized) DVD/NAV & some new speakers
theprodigy79 said:
What type(s) of music do you listen to? If you had to choose, loud or clean?
definitley clean
theprodigy79 said:
How much are you realistically looking to spend (keep in mind, it's better to do this right the first time and be happy with it, than to not be satisfied and have to shell out more to upgrade later)?
I'd like to keep my total around $800 or less....
theprodigy79 said:
I know you said you want your speakers in stock locations, but are you willing / able to do a bit of simple customization (not necessarily anything seen when the car is put back together, but modifications to fit different size speakers that may better suit your tastes / wants... I know I like to keep my rides appearing stock)?

-James
Modifications are fine as long as they're not seen

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
$800 is a pretty limiting price for in-dash nav and speakers, but I did a bit of resarch and it looks like it may actually be possible to still get decent products and keep you around this top.

For the nav, your best bet will be to go used... I looked on eBay, and it appears you can get a hold of a Pioneer AVIC-D2 from anywhere between $620-$700. While this is definitely not Pioneers highest end unit, it is far superior to any other nav units in its price range (retail price range, not even referencing the above price it can be had for). It's a double din (as you prefer), and is a very straight forward, easy to use unit with a lot of pretty useful features. If you go this route, just make sure you purchase from a reputable buyer with a substantial amount of feedback from Buyers. Also, check the item description and make sure it comes with everything you need, and the item is in good condition.

That's DEFINITELY where I would start... Now, for speakers:

If you're dead set for keeping at $800 or under, you have around $150 left to play with at this point (assuming you get the unit for a middle ground in the range I gave you). Let's not even consider amping at this point, but let's make sure we get some speakers that will allow upgrade to the usage of an amp in the future (so something that will sound good running off the head, but something that will benefit from being amped... this way you don't have to go out and buy new speakers if you decide to upgrade a bit in the future).

First off, what kind of music did you say you listened to? This does make a difference.

Second, you have a couple options in this car for speakers... Do you prefer to run 4 speakers and be more "immersed" in the sound, or would you be happier with running a single pair of higher quality speakers up front with good staging and superior sound? Keep in mind, if you're going for two sets on a tight budget you'll have to step down quality... Whereas if you go for a single pair of GOOD quality speakers (which can easily be had for your leftover $$$), you will have that much better sound, and the option to add the rears in the future if you so desire... I looked around and it is possible to get 2 pairs of pretty good speakers in your range (or a bit over), but I'll leave that decision to you.

Let me know the answers to those questions before we go any further.

Thanks,

-James

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
theprodigy79 said:
$800 is a pretty limiting price for in-dash nav and speakers, but I did a bit of resarch and it looks like it may actually be possible to still get decent products and keep you around this top.

For the nav, your best bet will be to go used... I looked on eBay, and it appears you can get a hold of a Pioneer AVIC-D2 from anywhere between $620-$700. While this is definitely not Pioneers highest end unit, it is far superior to any other nav units in its price range (retail price range, not even referencing the above price it can be had for). It's a double din (as you prefer), and is a very straight forward, easy to use unit with a lot of pretty useful features. If you go this route, just make sure you purchase from a reputable buyer with a substantial amount of feedback from Buyers. Also, check the item description and make sure it comes with everything you need, and the item is in good condition.

That's DEFINITELY where I would start... Now, for speakers:

If you're dead set for keeping at $800 or under, you have around $150 left to play with at this point (assuming you get the unit for a middle ground in the range I gave you). Let's not even consider amping at this point, but let's make sure we get some speakers that will allow upgrade to the usage of an amp in the future (so something that will sound good running off the head, but something that will benefit from being amped... this way you don't have to go out and buy new speakers if you decide to upgrade a bit in the future).

First off, what kind of music did you say you listened to? This does make a difference.

Second, you have a couple options in this car for speakers... Do you prefer to run 4 speakers and be more "immersed" in the sound, or would you be happier with running a single pair of higher quality speakers up front with good staging and superior sound? Keep in mind, if you're going for two sets on a tight budget you'll have to step down quality... Whereas if you go for a single pair of GOOD quality speakers (which can easily be had for your leftover $$$), you will have that much better sound, and the option to add the rears in the future if you so desire... I looked around and it is possible to get 2 pairs of pretty good speakers in your range (or a bit over), but I'll leave that decision to you.

Let me know the answers to those questions before we go any further.

Thanks,

-James

Cool, I've been watching the AVICs on Ebay & I think I could get one for around $650 shipped. I looked at one in Circuit City & I liked it a lot, but their $1100 price tag shocked me.

I'm not firm on the $800, but of course I want to stick to it as close as possible. Hell, the way I've stuck to my budget doing my "BPU'd" 1J swap, I'm quite sure I'll exceed that :biglaugh: . But, for now I want to stick to 4 speakers in the stock locations. I listen to a wide variety of music, not incredibly loud though. I like crisp, rich sound reproduction. I've listened to the Infinity speakers that Evil mentioned & I think that they produce a good quality sound. I'm surely not an audiophile nut, so I'm easy to please, but I'm open for suggestions....

HTH & thanks for the input (from everyone).

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
As I recommend to EVERYONE on this site who gives half a shit about how their music sounds, do ANYTHING in your power to get larger speakers than 4" up front... You will be MUCH happier running 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" up front... ESPECIALLY if you don't plan to run a subwoofer from the start... I've seen people on this site selling the '91+ 6" pods for as little as $50... Unfortunately there were none up for grabs on the site when I got mine, so I (very willingly) shelled out $150 for a pair off eBay shipped to me. It's not necessary to blow that much though... just keep an eye out on the site, or if you're handy you can fabricate a couple MDF spacers (or even small boxes) to house larger speakers to fit where the factory 4" boxes go (I was lazy, and I also thought it would be "cool" to get a hold of some of the larger pods which, ironically, I still have to mod anyway to fit the speakers I plan on using).

Anyways, if you're willing to stay with 4" speakers up front... Check out the JL Evolution TR400-CXi, Boston Acoustics S45 or Alpine SPS-10C2. I'd say those would be the best 4" drivers available for reasonable prices (all can be had for around $70 shipped for a new pair on eBay). The Infinity Kappas are also pretty good, but I think the speakers I listed above are all a bit better, and just as inexpensive, if not less.

For the rears, I'd try to stay in the same series as the speakers you use up front (meaning, if you decide on the JL Evolution TRs up front, stay with the JL Evolution TR series in the rear). While it's not necessarily bad to cross brands, sometimes the different materials used in the different speakers will conflict or clash, soundwise, with each other (this is even relevant to using two different series of speakers manufactured by the same company, for example JL TR vs XR series)... This would especially be noticable in the highs, which would be more prominent in a 4" speaker as well. Since you will probably be running smaller speakers up front, this will be more noticable, especially if you decide on 5.25" rears...

If you stay with 4" all around, go ahead and get two pairs of the same speakers. Simple as that. You will need to make a small plate/adaptor to mount the 4" speakers properly in the 5" pods (very easy to do).

If you decide to go for 5.25"s in the rear, as I stated above, just get the 5.25" speakers from the same series you get your 4" speakers from. You will need to trim the 5" speaker hole to house the larger driver and drill new holes to get it to mount properly. Once again, this is not hard to do, just a bit of extra work (which we should all be used to on our Supras anyway :p).

If you do decide to go larger up front, let me know and I'll go further into detail about that.

Anyways, let us know what you wind up doing!

-James