Son of a B*tch

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
I went and took a vid of the bov and the noise it is making. I noticed that the bov isnt even moving. The fluttering is coming from the AFM??? Or accordian hose area. Ill put the vid up once its done uploading.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
photobucket doesnt like me. if the noise is coming from the accordion hose then its your turbo surging.

are you using the shinny silicone hose that it came with?

if you using the stock bov vacuum source with the metal pipe that mounts to the 3000 pipe maybe its clogged.

if you take the vacuum off while the engine is running and put you finger on it do you feel vacuum?

Warpath

Help me Jeebus!!
Oct 28, 2008
St.Louis
airhead04;1514431 said:
I went and took a vid of the bov and the noise it is making. I noticed that the bov isnt even moving. The fluttering is coming from the AFM??? Or accordian hose area. Ill put the vid up once its done uploading.

I believe the engine has to be under a load for the BOV to work. Meaning not parked and ideling.

-Jim

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
hvyman;1514442 said:
photobucket doesnt like me. if the noise is coming from the accordion hose then its your turbo surging.

are you using the shinny silicone hose that it came with?

if you using the stock bov vacuum source with the metal pipe that mounts to the 3000 pipe maybe its clogged.

if you take the vacuum off while the engine is running and put you finger on it do you feel vacuum?

Im using silicone hosing from a kit I bought. But yes, there is vacuum coming from that port, and yes Im using the port of which you speak.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
If you can't see the valve opening, then it sounds like it is screwed.
2 questions.......
Is it a real HKS SSQV, or a chinese POS nock-off?
If it's a real one, have you been running the in-line filter on the vacuum line that they provide with them?

If it's a real one, and you have not put a filter in-line on the vacuum line, then it is probably taken in some dirt into the internal check valve that makes them work.
You can flush them using WD-40 or something simular.
They have about a 1/2" dia. silicone check valve, that if gets a little dirt under it, will not seal off, and the valve will not function.

And if it's a knock-off, well then, there you go.......

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
if you using thin silicone hose's throw them in the trash as they pinch closed. im using small thick oil hose for my bov. thin weak hose pinch. try some different hose.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
gofastgeorge;1514488 said:
If you can't see the valve opening, then it sounds like it is screwed.
2 questions.......
Is it a real HKS SSQV, or a chinese POS nock-off?
If it's a real one, have you been running the in-line filter on the vacuum line that they provide with them?

If it's a real one, and you have not put a filter in-line on the vacuum line, then it is probably taken in some dirt into the internal check valve that makes them work.
You can flush them using WD-40 or something simular.
They have about a 1/2" dia. silicone check valve, that if gets a little dirt under it, will not seal off, and the valve will not function.

And if it's a knock-off, well then, there you go.......

Its a real HKS BOV. At least I think it is, my step father gave it to me, and he paid 200 bucks for it. So I pretty sure its an HKS. No I havent been running the in line filter, and neither did he and he used it for over a year without it (in line filter). Ive only used it for about 2 to 3 days now. Ill clean it tomorrow.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
hvyman;1514498 said:
if you using thin silicone hose's throw them in the trash as they pinch closed. im using small thick oil hose for my bov. thin weak hose pinch. try some different hose.

Its not pinched, its only lke a 4 inch peice of hose. Its as straight as can be.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
its not the length of hose its the type of hose and how thick the hose is.. if you search you can find at least 5 of the same threads from the past 6 months. if it is to thin of hose it will pinch and you dont know because the only time you can look is when your car is parked and revving it. you dont get boost by revving it. a bunch of my friends have the real hks and if they rev it you can hear the normal hks sound.

does it say hks on it?

can you post pics of it?

Edit: if you have some thicker/harder hose laying around try it.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
hvyman;1514508 said:
its not the length of hose its the type of hose and how thick the hose is.. if you search you can find at least 5 of the same threads from the past 6 months. if it is to thin of hose it will pinch and you dont know because the only time you can look is when your car is parked and revving it. you dont get boost by revving it. a bunch of my friends have the real hks and if they rev it you can hear the normal hks sound.

does it say hks on it?

can you post pics of it?

Edit: if you have some thicker/harder hose laying around try it.

No, it say sqv on the top. Came in an hks box though, so i figured it was an hks. I know you dont get boost by revving. But the bov will still "spit". Thats my only point with that. Lol. So when it spits, Im not hearing the normal hks sound, its fluttering. But Ive concluded that the bov isnt moving, meaning its not even attempting to "spit".
Ill grab some vacuum hose from the auto store tomorrow.

88supraproject

Nov 11, 2009
sudbury
if your still having problems with your bov opening take it apart and clean it up and make sure nothing is sticking inside and making it stay shut.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
wait so when you rev it air comes out but barley?

at low boost they dont make the loud hks sound. if you rev it high it will make the sound. i heard both single and dual at high rpm rev's and they both have the loud sound but at a low rpm its just a flutter.

(i do not condone revving high in neutral)

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
88supraproject;1514528 said:
if your still having problems with your bov opening take it apart and clean it up and make sure nothing is sticking inside and making it stay shut.

Im taking it apart tomorrow to clean it. Hopefully, itll fix the problem. I doubt it though.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
hvyman;1514533 said:
wait so when you rev it air comes out but barley?

at low boost they dont make the loud hks sound. if you rev it high it will make the sound. i heard both single and dual at high rpm rev's and they both have the loud sound but at a low rpm its just a flutter.

(i do not condone revving high in neutral)

I revved it to 5000rpms and it fluttered. When its revved the air isnt coming from the bov, its coming from the afm/accordian hose.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
I put it back to stock set up, and it runs fine. No flutter, just a nice whoosh noise. lol
I took apart the bov and cleaned it. When I took it apart, I noticed that the spring in the back was very very stiff, that normal? Or is it like some of the tials where you have to cut a tiny piece of the sring for it to work and open correctly?