Somethin is very wrong!!

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
Okay, I have this LARGE turbo that came off a big truck motor and its a garrett with a .58 cold side according to the stamp on it. I have been researching turbos for a few days now and have come to understand the bigger the number the bigger the turbo. But this turbo that I have is a real giant and its stamped .58 but I have seen MANY other turbos like the one in this kit that is also .58 cold side and they are FAR smaller. Whats going on here!!!?? How can both turbos be rated at .58 for the front case when clearly the one I have is much bigger? im very confused!!!!

The big shiny one is mine, the one in the kit is the other one. I have looked at many that claim to be .58 and they are all much smaller then my .58 whats going on here!!!??

Attachments

• t4.jpg
    t4.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 51
  • TURBO_INTER_ECLIPSE95-99.jpg
    TURBO_INTER_ECLIPSE95-99.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 49

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
This is another pic to better show how big it really is beside another smaller turbo I have

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 48

turbomk3

Apr 1, 2005
The housings are different withthe same compressor blades in them...they both have .58 blades in them just different housings

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
wait so .58 is not the compressor housing size?? So what number tells the compressor housing size then?? All the specs tell the hot and cold side and thats it. I would imagine the bigger housing makes a big difference, or is mine like a T66 and the other ones are like a T3 or T4??

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
T4 is the flange size, yours should have a T3 or T4 flange.

It just has a bigger compressor cover, probably because a diesel needs a lot more air. Run it dude, we have a duramax diesel turbo running on a 240Z right now, its pretty good.

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
there must be a way they rate the housing size, this thing is a monster nothing like any other .58 or any normal turbo for that matter! What would be the difference running this as a pose to running a normal .58 set up? Would I have more lag or more airflow? Theres gotta be somethin different in what it puts out because its huge! I thought the only thing they were rated for was the flange, the cold and the hot side but apparently not all are created equal!! Besides, I cant run it, theres no where near enough room in the engine bay between the motor and the side it would never fit

Last edited:

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
--> Compressor Housing <-- (Cold-side Housing)
"The --> aluminum casting <-- that directs the incoming charge to and away from the compressor turbine. "

Compressor Turbine (Compressor Wheel)
The impeller which compresses the incoming air. The shape and volume of a compressor turbine and its associated compressor housing (they almost always must be changed together) are described by their trim.

**No .58 DOES refer to the outside casting or cold side not the compressor wheel itself, its stamped into the casting .58 so again I ask what gives?? **

thesupraman

Smirker
May 15, 2005
Frenchtown, NJ

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
okay, so let me get this str8, there is turbine A/R, Compressor A/R AND housings A/R.... WOW theres alot of possibilitys and combinations!!!!, there must be millions!! so "T4" would deal with just the compressor side exhaust flange?? Is T4 the most common? Is there any kind of digram w/pics of the different flanges and there names so you know what is what?

thesupraman

Smirker
May 15, 2005
Frenchtown, NJ
PorterzSupra said:
okay, so let me get this str8, there is turbine A/R, Compressor A/R AND housings A/R.... WOW theres alot of possibilitys and combinations!!!!, there must be millions!! so "T4" would deal with just the compressor side exhaust flange?? Is T4 the most common? Is there any kind of digram w/pics of the different flanges and there names so you know what is what?
A/R always refers to the housing- compressor or turbine. "T4" refers to the bolt pattern and entrance size of the exhaust housing. If you buy a manifold that accepts a "T4" turbo, than any T4 exhaust housing will fit- its an industry standard. T3 and T4 are probably the most popular style performance turbos out there. Check out www.turboneticsinc.com , they have some diagrams with dimensions.