some sort of fitting on the frame rail? undercar? wtf?!

skim1040

work in progress
So, i'm in the process of changing out my clutch, and from spending some time under my car I noticed on the passenger side frame rail about mid-way between wheels there is a fitting, looks like a oil line fitting or fuel line fitting? but no hose on it...and it looks to be just bolted onto the frame rail...

whats it for?

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
it's for filling the in-chassis tank which is used for storing helium...to make the car lighter.

ironically most people don't know it's there.....

:sarcasm:

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
what type of fitting? you mentioned fuel fitting, is it a banjo-style fitting, but with no tube leading off of it? sounds odd... maybe someone injected something into your chassis and that's plugging it?

i'm being serious now by the way... am i just imagining this or can you get some kind of expanding foam that you inject into the frame for...whatever reason. i can't think of a practical or logical reason to fill the frame other than noise reduction but i dunno. i think i'm thinking of houses but imagining it being done to a car...

i'm tired. caffene might wake you up but it doesn't seem to help with my thinking processes compared to being truly rested.

speedo cable? in the middle of the chassis? what the hell? where does the speedo cable go? front wheels? why would the speedo cable go from the drivers side, back to the center of the car on the passenger side, then to the front of the car. that's a no go for me. but i'm not definite on my understanding of speedo cables anyway....

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
my charcoal canister vents via rubber tube to bottom of chassis...IIRC that is...

drain? doesnt the AC condensor just drip all that water from the front? then again i think i remember some water coming off the side of my car. i'll glance at it today and see if i can find what you're talking about.

wait a second i'm not understanding where it is... is this under the passenger seat or somewhere nearer to the engine? i'm confused about what "fraim rail" is referring to. sorry...

i was thinking it was the rectangular lump that goes from front to back underneath both sides of the car.... looks like a rail, and i think its part of the frame...lol.

skim1040

work in progress
Figit090 said:
it's for filling the in-chassis tank which is used for storing helium...to make the car lighter.

ironically most people don't know it's there.....

ahhh! that explains it all!....:tdo3: :D

on the serious side, its not a banjo fitting. Its more like a 75 degree fitting with a rolled lip, like a coolant fitting sort of, but its on the passenger side frame rail, under the car, about midway between the two wheels

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Figit090 said:
speedo cable? in the middle of the chassis? what the hell? where does the speedo cable go? front wheels? why would the speedo cable go from the drivers side, back to the center of the car on the passenger side, then to the front of the car. that's a no go for me. but i'm not definite on my understanding of speedo cables anyway....

speedo cable goes from the passenger side of the transmission, near the tailshaft, to the passenger side "frame rail:, up past the downpipe between the motor and firewall, and in through the driver's side of the firewall to the cluster.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
shaeff said:
speedo cable goes from the passenger side of the transmission, near the tailshaft, to the passenger side "frame rail:, up past the downpipe between the motor and firewall, and in through the driver's side of the firewall to the cluster.

WOW.:icon_neut