some ?'s bout 1jz swap

gsrkid187

Dec 30, 2005
Indiana
I am currently in the mk3 market and was planning on doing a swap....was wondering if there was a certain year I should get or having a turbo model or non turbo model easier for the swap....also what all exactly do I need besides the motor....any kind of info would be greatly appreciated thx

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Buy a front clip, it will save you the hassle of sourcing all the other little parts you'll need.

Doesn't really matter what year the car is anymore, but 86.5-early 89 cars have different motor mounts and you'll need to buy BIC engine brackets.

Turbo or NA doesn't really matter either. The NAs have a taller (4.30) gearing, and some don't have LSD. So if you want to cruise at lower RPM you'll want to swap diffs on an NA.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
If you buy a clip it comes with the tranny. Short answer, no it won't. You'll need a 1jz bellhousing and flywheel to use the 7m R154.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
or keep it simple and just do 1jz auto, flame away, but turbo autos are much more fun then people tend to let on, but if you can afford it, get a clip, it cuts down on some parts hunting, but even an engine set isnt all that hard to get parts for, since things like a 2jz throttle cable and powersteering line are required parts.

andrew19

Jul 18, 2005
columbia
the 2jz throttle cable is not a required part...you can loop your 1j throttle cable and it will do just fine....that is what i have done and i have no complaints..btw necrocyde do you currently own or drive a 1j?
NecroCyde said:
or keep it simple and just do 1jz auto, flame away, but turbo autos are much more fun then people tend to let on, but if you can afford it, get a clip, it cuts down on some parts hunting, but even an engine set isnt all that hard to get parts for, since things like a 2jz throttle cable and powersteering line are required parts.