Some Questions

PDiako

Oct 22, 2008
Connecticut
I did a full service on the coolant system today. I flushed the radiator, replaced a faulty thermostat and replaced the fan clutch. I am in the process of putting the coolant in now but I have a question on which coolant I should use. Should I stick with the red toyota coolant, or should i replace it with the 50/50 mix coolant?

At start up the car has a rough idle untill it warms up. I let the oil pressure drop and then hold the gas steady between 2500-3000 and it feels very rough like it's sputtering. Any thoughts on what I should check? The last owner has the BOV recirculated would that do anything?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Never run straight coolant of any type...60/40 is max. Toyota Red will do a good job.

You need to pull ECU codes.

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
Stay with Toyota's red coolant, from what I understand it dose not corrode your coolant system like others. The other coolant that is as good if not better is Honda. Dont flame me lol. Hey what can I say the Japs know there stuff.

PDiako

Oct 22, 2008
Connecticut
tbcmorris;1246243 said:
I dilluted my toyota red to 50/50.

What do you mean you let the oil presure drop?

When you first start the car the oil guage jumps up do to the high idle. I let the rpm's and oil pressure drop to normal and then i rev it to 2500-3000 rpm's and thats when i get the sputtering issue.

jdub, the check engine light isn't on. The car runs smooth when it is fully warmed up. It's just a little rough until it warms up. I'm gonna check the plugs this Monday. I don't know when/if they were changed before. The car has 89k on it.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
PDiako;1246264 said:
When you first start the car the oil guage jumps up do to the high idle. I let the rpm's and oil pressure drop to normal and then i rev it to 2500-3000 rpm's and thats when i get the sputtering issue.

jdub, the check engine light isn't on. The car runs smooth when it is fully warmed up. It's just a little rough until it warms up. I'm gonna check the plugs this Monday. I don't know when/if they were changed before. The car has 89k on it.

Rennat;1246281 said:
you can have codes without a check engine light being on by the way...

Yes you can ;)
Now, check the codes like I said to so you don't go off on a wild goose chase.

PDiako

Oct 22, 2008
Connecticut
dumbo;1246410 said:

Thanks for the help. I just found the problem it was the recirculated BOV that was causing the sputter. There were no clamps holding the BOV. Put clamps tightened it down and now the engine revs smooth. I just dropped it off to my mechanic and it's going under the knife. Thanks again for all the help.