Some odd Issue on cold mornings

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
Well as it is getting chilly out now and hitting almost 0C at night

In the morning i am having some issues with the engine missing sometimes during normal acceleration or what seems like spark getting into the Exhaust when i hit any level of boost? (I will note that this is mainly by mistake but still happens as you all know it's so easy to hit boost with the stock twin, especially stock twins on nice cold dense air. )

This only happens when the car has been left over night and it is still pretty chilly out. Once the car has had a while running to warm up then everything runs fine.

I have my plugs gapped and they are also brand new. No they are not coppers as i was trying something using the Denso IK-22's.

Could it just be the plugs? I am thinking not but at the same time once things warm up everything is fine most of the time.

I have had it miss here and there when boosting full and at higher RPM. That has happened maybe 3 - 4 times that i can count of since i have been watching for issues with these new plugs

i Drive the car daily, so 3 - 4 times really is not much. These times were all at night with cooler air outside and Pushing the engine pretty hard almost to red line.

Mods are simple

HKS Mushroom intake, Stock y-pipe, 3" Trust DP. No CAT. 3" HKS Turbo Exhaust

werewolves182

is without a supra :(
Aug 23, 2005
Crownsville, MD
Mine did the same thing when I was on the stock twins and did the same when I went single. However it seemed to stop ever since I inspected my coil packs for small cracks. I filled the cracks with nail polish and that seemed to solve the problem...at least for the time being. However I haven't had a problem since.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
Hmm i'll check my coil packs again Maybe the nail polish has worn off. I really need to get some epoxy or something. Other then that i am at a real loss on this one nothing seems to make sense.

I was thinking that maybe some sort of air temp sensor was off or malfunctioning with the cold temps but??? where is the air temp sensor on a 1J and really cold air should not cause it to do that. Plus the problem seems like it is not firing or mis firing. I checked my CPS already before and have contact silicone in there so nothing can screw up those connections

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Over on SF there was a guy who had an issue with the car breaking up and was running IK20's, when he switched to 6097's it was fixed, so it definitely could be the plugs.

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
i think we just had to let our engines warm up PERIOD. i've heard of this numerous times and my engine does that every morning...every morning here is cold. also every morning i wake up an extra 5 minutes...10-15 minutes before i leave i hop in her and start her up and let it warm up. i honestly think it shouldn't be boosting when first started cold anyways. its a little bit more stress on vital components that must warm up to improve its functions.