Soldering Skills

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
Anyone out there do good work on soldering? I attempted to do a wii mod chip last night and the points are incredibly small, in the end i ended up removing one of the pads that needed to be soldered...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
What would you like to know? I've done quite a bit, including PCB work. My dad has a lot more experience than I do, as he used to build circuit boards for sale by hand (his own design) and he also fixed arcade machines and worked as a tech for 15 years. It's quite the sight to see him solder a circuit board, it's like watching a robot at a factory, haha.

So... what exactly do you hope to gain from this post? Heh. What do you want to know?

If you pulled up one of the traces, it's probably because you used too much heat, and left it in contact for too long. On a PCB, you shouldn't leave the iron touching the board for more than about a half a second to a second. You can damage both the board, or the traces. Basically, you need to just touch with both the solder and the iron at the same time for just as long as is needed (not long at all), then pull away. I usually find that about 750°F is just right for PCB work.

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
who would be willing to do this for me is kinda more my question i guess... would be willing to pay shipping and something for the time just let me know how much...

here is a diagram of what i need done.. but my 5 on the pic is gone since that is the one that lifted up... so basically would have follow the tracer back to the chip on the board and solder it to one of the pegs...
btw this picture is way blown up
Installation_schematic.jpg

Last edited:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
whoever is capable of doing this would be able to make some money doing the internal HAC mod on the 89+ ecu as well :)

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Ask and listen to dirgle - 2M [Miniature/Microminiature] guys are capable of very small, very high-quality solder work on multi-layer PCBs. This guy knows WTF he's doing.

My $0.02.

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Jeff is correct about the pad coming off the pcb.

You could :

1/. Mount that IC upside down on another small blank pcb using a hot glue gun.
2/. Put a dab of hot glue on the main pcb and sit the small pcb on it.
3./ Solders the pins.

Make sure you solder the un used pins to their deactive state. That looks like a PIC from
Microchip. Go look on their website and get the pinouts and it will tell you.
If you are not sure, pm me and I will get the pinouts for you.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited:

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Thanks for the vote of confidence drunk_medic, it means a lot.

Now while I wouldn't mind helping you out bigal0043, I won't have a reliable address to send it to for about a month. As Jeff Lang said you probably left the iron on there to long and over cured the epoxy that holds it down. However 750 degrees is a little on the hot side, the hotter the iron is, the greater the risk you run of creating "measles". These are areas of moisture in the PCB laminate that expand under heat separating the fibers and causing damage to the laminate. 600 degrees is all you need to accomplish the job in most PCB cases.

If that pad is a multi-layer conductor, as it probably is, it will need to be repaired/replaced which can be a complicated job if you don't have the right tools or knowledge. If not then you don't need to worry about replacing it and you just solder the wire right to the IC pad. However you need to be careful doing this because it is extremely easy to destroy the IC from heat soak. If you do decide to attempt it again, make sure you use flux to get the solder to flow, and use Eutectic solder (63/37), also use a small chisel tip, 1/16 looks about right. Use the correct iron, tip, solder and flux, otherwise job becomes more difficult and you run a greater risk of causing damage. Also after you are done make sure to thoroughly clean the board of any remaining flux. Flux is a corrosive and can cause damage down the road if not removed.

americanjebus said:
whoever is capable of doing this would be able to make some money doing the internal HAC mod on the 89+ ecu as well :)
Might not be a bad idea when I get more settled. It looks simple enough.

Last edited:

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
^ ya because most of what you just posted is way over my head, i have a walmart iron, walmart solder, and about 10 minutes experience with them practicing on speaker wire. I held the iron on the wire long enough to melt the insulation and left GOBBS of solder on the tip of the iron.

i don't feel like properly fukin up an ecu., (why do you have to be all the way in florida, you couldnt possibly be any further heh.)