soldering iron

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Poodles;1443858 said:
Crappy tip holder, that looks more like a wood/leather burning tool than a soldering iron...

You know..... it might be..

Although it does say Chicago Soldering Iron. Wouldn't surprise me if it was re badged.

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Looks like the typical generic 25W soldering iron / hot knife / leather burner. They suck. You're better off with a butane torch/iron, but even those suck.

I'd avoid that Stahl too. I'm local to PE and I know I've picked it up once or twice over 10 or more years and remember thinking it was a piece.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
jetjock;1443193 said:
1) It's from Harbor Fright.

2) What wattage is it?

3) What you're calling "bubble soldering" is bad technique.

4) Did I mention it's from Harbor Fright?

5) For auto use one of the Master Appliance models. Specifically the 40si or 100si. Lots of power, adjustable, no electricity needed. I wouldn't exactly call them inexpensive but good tools are an investment...

0.o 8mm chisel tip available on the 100! 80 bucks on Amazon isn't THAT bad if its a nice tool either.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
mkIIIman089;1443916 said:
80 bucks on Amazon isn't THAT bad if its a nice tool either.

The UT40 is lower end but the UT100si is a nice tool. I own four of the various MA models and like it best. Powerful, adjustable, long run time, shrink tube tip and, if you get the model without self ignition, torch capable. I've hard-silver soldered with mine. These days the only time I use the electric (a Weller WD1002) is for PCB repair. For everything else I reach for the UT. It's a bit scary firing it up though. Sounds like a phaser on overload but so far it hasn't blown up :)

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
jetjock;1443989 said:
Sounds like a phaser on overload but so far it hasn't blown up :)

Nerd alert! ;)

The 100si was the one I checked on amazon for 74+ shipping, don't know the price on the 40 since after I saw the 100si it's pretty clear which one I'd buy. Way more useful accessories on the 100 to boot.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
And with some PCV tubing, a firing chamber, and a potato........you've got yourself a sweet ignitor!

3...2...1...LAUNCH!!!! :biglaugh:

Bri7man

"Yeah! Take the lemons.."
Jul 17, 2009
Torrance, CA
Zumtizzle;1443942 said:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062738

I use this.

You should have told me you needed an iron; i would have sent one to you. lol

I work at the shack.

I'm still looking for one, could you hook it up? Do you guys have a upgraded version of that one? I just want to be sure I get those sweet buttery solders. :naughty:

If that one's sufficient tho it's cool. I live 2 blocks away from a radio shack but if you could save me a buck I'd appreciate it.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
If money is tight, I'd try to buy a used Weller on EBay. These are superior irons to anything you will get at RS. There is a Weller WTCPS going for $15 right now, and lots of others in the $30 range. Parts and new tips can be bought at many places like Digikey.

Search for Weller Soldering Station

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
Bri7man;1443110 said:
I bought a orange soldering iron from Harbor Frieght a while ago and it's never been able to get the wires I'm soldering hot enough to melt the solder on it.

I've been "bubble" soldering with it since I got it by melting the bead on the iron then rubbing it on but it's really been a hassle and doesn't work very well. I've seen vids on youtube of people soldering and being able to get the wire hot enough to run the solder on it and it evenly disperses on the wires.

What are good soldering irons that aren't too expensive?

I have the same one. i just figured out the problem today.

After using it, it oxidizes a little each time. Being used 10 or so times, the tip was pretty much flat and black for the most part.

I was in the garage screwing around, and decided to give it a quick shave on my bench grinder.

It works better than new after the shave, exposing the copper looking material.(although I'm not sure what it's made of)

The solder melts like butter now.

I know it's a little late for that, but this can save someone a few bucks.