Soarerboy needs your opinion!!

SOARERBOY

bomb diggy!
Oct 18, 2009
SOCAL
ok so.. im a new member here as you can see in my introduction.. post..http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108593

i just bought my sc300 with intention for a fun turbo daily with 500hp.. ok so my dillema is that im about to aquire a 1jz engine for trade for a car which is taking up space in my yard.. ive been told that it would be a better option to just go na-t than to swap the 1jz.. my goal is to have the most reliable well engineered approach to a daily 500hp on pump gas and the option for more... my GE has a bit over 100k on it.. and i feel that the 1j is just about free to me.. this will be going down in the next few days if i decide the engine is right for me.. so my question to you is in your opinion which is the best approach and why? a list specific price and parts would help greatly.. i will probrably end up doing some internal work on either motor... and am prepared to spend a bit on this.. keep in mind im looking for something i can drive from sandiego to washington if i need to... thoughts?

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
All depends on your power goals. I know you say you want 500 RWHP daily, but you also said you want room to grow. How much room are you talking about? 700 HP? 1000 HP? Poodles is correct, it is easier to get HP out of a larger motor. Personally, I'd build the 1JZ on an engine stand from the ground up and then swap it in when it's all ready. That way your down time will be minimalized.

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
I knew adam will say build a 1jz because he is a 1j fan. I mean i know him personally so all he is gonna talk about is that engine lol no ofense adam.I know you want to get rid off that civic but think about it that could be you daily driver while you building up that car, or yould simply sell the civic for cash.1JZ IS ILLEGAL IN GOVERNATOR LAND so you know wonder why adam moved out of governator land. Just look at my post#15 on your introduction http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108593&page=2

SOARERBOY

bomb diggy!
Oct 18, 2009
SOCAL
im pretty sure thats whats goin down.. ive been told my car weighs about the same as a mk4 3500lbs.. i think its a bit more.. how much torque would a 500hp1j make? high 11's would be nice.... i know in a mk3 this would be well within... if i go this route i think a DM kit will be the way to go for me... 650-700 on more boost would be nice... going to see the engine this week!! comes with an auto trans tho.. anther question.. does the mk3 with r154 come with a lsd? will it fit my lex? if so what gears are in it? how much power would the r154 hold on my heavy car? can i adapt a tremec t5 somehow? my buddys got one from a mustang....

nightrider760

Sep 25, 2008
escondido , tijuana
r154 on the turbo model and w58 on non turbo . and if you have the money you could use a t5 just search and one of the sm members is doing it.
Just get that 1jz and then sell it to make profit jejeje

SOARERBOY

bomb diggy!
Oct 18, 2009
SOCAL
damn it man....::fundy:: hmm... it is true that 1jz is illegal in killa cali.. na-t is too tho.. i plan on going pretty sleeper and takin it easy so to leave little to suspect.. that was my main reason to chose the sc... idk yet man..

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
nightrider760;1431343 said:
I knew adam will say build a 1jz because he is a 1j fan. I mean i know him personally so all he is gonna talk about is that engine lol no ofense adam.I know you want to get rid off that civic but think about it that could be you daily driver while you building up that car, or yould simply sell the civic for cash.1JZ IS ILLEGAL IN GOVERNATOR LAND so you know wonder why adam moved out of governator land. Just look at my post#15 on your introduction http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108593&page=2

Hey now, I actually suggested going N/A-T first. I only suggested going 1JZ since he could fully build the motor while driving his SC300 with the 2JZ-GE and then swap them when the time comes. I totally forgot about NAZIfornia's gay laws. Yeah, I'd go the 2JZ N/A-T route since it would be legalish, vs. the 1JZ's full on illegalness. Only thing that would suck is the down time. My new vote (now that I've remembered the gay car rules of Cali) is to go 2JZ GE-T.

BTW, the gay car laws was one of the main reasons I moved out of SoCal. The main reason was that I got out of the Marines. Oh yeah, I now "live" in a no emission testing county, so my 1JZ is perfectly legal and I don't have to smog check or anything :D

SOARERBOY;1431344 said:
im pretty sure thats whats goin down.. ive been told my car weighs about the same as a mk4 3500lbs.. i think its a bit more.. how much torque would a 500hp1j make? high 11's would be nice.... i know in a mk3 this would be well within... if i go this route i think a DM kit will be the way to go for me... 650-700 on more boost would be nice... going to see the engine this week!! comes with an auto trans tho.. anther question.. does the mk3 with r154 come with a lsd? will it fit my lex? if so what gears are in it? how much power would the r154 hold on my heavy car? can i adapt a tremec t5 somehow? my buddys got one from a mustang....

Curb weight for a 94 SC300 is 3515 lbs, so yeah, they weigh the same as the MKIII and MKIV. Torque wise, you would probably make 450 RWTQ, depending on how you made that torque. The 2JZ-GE-T would be higher in torque. Yes, the DM kit would be the best deal for you, and you can pick up the parts from them too since they're local to you. Auto trannies are easy to swap out for 5-speeds. The MKIII with R154's usually come with LSD's, but not always. Look at this thread, that'll tell you what the diff should be.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47729&highlight=decoding+vin

Not sure if it will fit your Lexus though. The R154 is extremely strong and will be able to handle the power you want. Although I would rebuild and upgrade it before you swap it in that way it's fully built and ready for more abuse (you don't know how much abuse has been put through it before you got it). You might be able to get the tremac to work, although I don't see why you would want to do that.

nightrider760;1431350 said:
r154 on the turbo model and w58 on non turbo . and if you have the money you could use a t5 just search and one of the sm members is doing it.
Just get that 1jz and then sell it to make profit jejeje

Some N/A Supra's came with LSD's, like my parts car and my current Supra (both were sport models). I agree, sell the 1JZ and buy go fast goodies, including a nice standalone ECU (I recommend the ViPEC V88).

SOARERBOY;1431356 said:
damn it man....::fundy:: hmm... it is true that 1jz is illegal in killa cali.. na-t is too tho.. i plan on going pretty sleeper and takin it easy so to leave little to suspect.. that was my main reason to chose the sc... idk yet man..

The 2JZ N/A-T is a lot more legal than a bone stock 1JZ. Remember, the 1JZ wasn't sold in the U.S., the 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE were. The SC300 is a damn good platform.

Poodles;1431364 said:
Whole lot easier to get an NA-T to pass than it would be to get a 1JZ to pass...

Truth

aphxero;1431431 said:
Easiest way.

Move.

That's what I did :naughty:

Apparation

Oct 14, 2009
Edmonton
Im currently pulling out a 1JZ-GTE + R154 from a soarer that ran 12s and dyno'd at 432rwhp and with a couple more mods it could have ran 11's. If you need some build info let me know.

SOARERBOY

bomb diggy!
Oct 18, 2009
SOCAL
thank you guys for all the support.. i am gonna go see this 1j this week and if all checks out i dont think i can pass it up i mean.. illegal is illegal.. either way.. i think i got a smog hook up ;) at this point i have so much questions.. just dont know when to ask.. everything is still in the air at this point.. i cant wait till i get my engine plan finalized and my car all ready.. i just cant wait to give solid details!

SOARERBOY

bomb diggy!
Oct 18, 2009
SOCAL
as far as the descision goes im DOOONNEEE!! i didnt wanna speak too soon about it actually goin down but now its done and 1jz it is!! i just got back from picking it up and its 11:11pm right now.. pics to come tomorrow afternoon :)