so, what is it about a mkiii supra?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
I like the fact I can spend most of my money on upgrades instead of having to be nickeled and dimed to death like some other performance cars in the Supras price range. I know some people have that problem but if you buy one that doesn't suck and wasn't poorly maintened, they're not that bad.

I've spent at least 4 times as much money on mods on my current Supra in the past year.

The engine, the transmission, and rear end all hold more power bone stock than I ever plan to make. No car is perfect but the Supra's Achilles' Heel is not as problematic as some other cars.

And the sound of an I6 through a nice exhaust accompanied by the whistle of the turbo(s) never gets old.

The design is great too. A love the driver oriented dash, the Recaro seats and interior, even the stock shifter. Yes, I like the stock shifter. It's a car I don't feel I have to change much to make it look outstanding. Lowered with a nice set of wheels makes the Supra look fantastic. (89+ that is :biglaugh:) I have other things like the rear hatch visor, lip, and turn signal covers but all those parts accentuate the Supras already existing great lines and don't distract from them.

It's too bad so many A70s are in poor condition. :(

MK4s are great and all but the longer I am an A70 owner, the less I care for A80s. I could have bought a MK4 instead of my current 92 if I had waited a little longer and saved more but I didn't. Although, I'd gladly own both but I can honestly say I wouldn't trade my car for one. I don't have any reason to. I already have a JZ in my car and I appreciate the aesthetics of a clean A70 much more after owning one for about 5 years now.

I'm admittedly greatly biased since the Supra has always been my first and only car, but if I didn't like it so much I would have something else by now. I'm lucky I was able to get my first one for free and learn all about them and get experience. Now I have the Supra I always wanted and I like it so much better knowing more than I did in the time I had my last Supra and having more money to throw at it. I have more technical and general knowledge about the A70 than any other interest or hobby I have.

I'm glad I get my car back tomorrow. It's been too long since I've driven it. I don't know how some of you guys don't lose your minds having your cars down for years at a time. The longest I've gone was about 4 months and that sucked. Luckily I've had very little downtime with this car and plan to keep it that way.

PS: I like 7Ms and some pre89s too. :)

Last edited:

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
theciviceater89 said:
i like doing retardedly dangerous things at high speeds..hahhaa. like just randomly ripping the hand brake at 90. or, doing 50-70 or so, and just turning super super sharp to the left or right... then it gets fun.
That stuff is really hard on a car. How can you afford maintenance?

On a completely unrelated note :sarcasm:, could you move to the east coast?

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Although the look of the MK4 has grown on me, I still can't get over the catfish face and oversized bubble-butt. I prefer the look of a modded Mk3. If I ever drop a built 2J into my widebody, I'll have the perfect Supra, in my personal opinion.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
women are way more attracted to the newer body stylings of the MKIV, they don't appreciate the oldschool looks of the MKIII like us. if i had a 1/2JZ, i'm sure they'd forget about the looks though

i'm still 7MGE, yes, i suck.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Got into it for the low priced RWD chassis, proceding to dump over 5x the amount I payed into it. The look grew on me, the weight of it is still bothering me however. Too heavy of a car. Time to start cutting the fat out.

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
OneJoeZee said:
No you won't. You'll get 1000x times more high school boys and ricers.

Attracting girls is a lame reason to want a car anyway.

If I wanted to attract girls with my car I'd buy a Ferarri, not a Toyota.

OneJoeZee said:
PS: I like 7Ms and some pre89s too. :)

Now I know that is a straight up lie, come on Joe you're not fooling me :hsugh:

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
I love mine for the reasons everyone BUT that wanker civiceater has posted...

I could easily have gotten a MkIV, but the I have the MkIII bug, and despite everyone i know giving me shit (They all drive MkIVs), i am keeping my baby and dumping more and more money into her

(They will regret giving the MKIII shit in about 6 months time when they will all have stickers on their cars saying, "I was beaten by a girl... in a MkIII" :D)

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
KMinAF said:
Warm sunny day, topless, good music and an empty highway
what more could you want?

if you've got a targa and a girlfriend, the car isn't the only thing that'll eventually be topless on a day like that.:naughty:

...too bad it's cold as balls in Sequim for the next 3 months or so.:3d_frown:

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
The constant pain perhaps?:sarcasm: My first car was a Honda Accord that never had any problems and I absolutely hated the poor car. Both Supras I have owned have been constant problems to fix or upgrades in progress, but I loved them both without question. My current car is just about everything I could want in a car. It is a silver 2-door RWD turbo targa 5-speed. If it was jz powered and leak free I would be in heaven.:naughty:

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
KMinAF said:
Warm sunny day, topless, good music and an empty highway
what more could you want?
The forecast in my area called for rain from Saturady to this Thursday.

I wook up today, not having to work until 5, and looked out the window. To my surprise, it was sunny and 60+ degrees! Yep, I showered ran downstairs, didn't even eat, ripped my targa off and away I went, cruising through the KY hills. First time in over a year...

I was at peace today...

toyman1987

Apr 2, 2005
Omaha
GotBoost? said:
whereas any pimple-head kid on the streets can tell a mkiv right away.

That is so true, I've had a MK3 since 99 and when I got my MK4 the very first time I drove it home the kids across the street were like WOW cool car, and the one kid says to the other "that's a SUPRA" although they have seen the other SUPRA for years, they didn't have a clue.

xxxotiknightz

Boomer
May 23, 2006
NORCAL
www.cardomain.com
Only car I've found with those perfect hourglass cuves. I bought my first one when i was 19 and it was like sex for the first time. I sold my first one after blowin the motor. After that I could help but look for another. And after this week I'll have 3 mkIII's :biglaugh:

Titus

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
ms07s said:
It is a silver 2-door RWD turbo targa 5-speed. If it was jz powered and leak free I would be in heaven.:naughty:

Mine is a black 2-door RWD turbo targa 5-speed. It IS M powered and leak free and I AM in heaven...lol:biglaugh: :sarcasm: :icon_razz