So, There I Am At The Drag Strip When...

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
A 70s Monaco gets a bad start and the announcer says, "Looks like the Monaco pulled a Supra move" and he gets a huge laugh.
How did "Supra" ever go from a car to being a well understood joke? :3d_frown:

Last edited:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
...or burn their street tires to oblivion

...or run 12's

...or overboost and blow their head gaskets

...or stall it

...or XD

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Might be a local thing. I'd be surprised if many really knew what a Supra was if a Mk2 or Mk3 pulled up to a track in this state....

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Last year when I went racing I was a Nissan 280Z, and that MR2 (actually a 300ZX) would beat me for sure b/c Nissan didn't have turbos back then and all MR2s have turbos.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
But... but Steve, there were 280z turbos... :nono:

Who did they hire to do the commentary, a 13 year old girl?

whitehat89

Jul 10, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, United States
toyotanos;1846633 said:
Last year when I went racing I was a Nissan 280Z, and that MR2 (actually a 300ZX) would beat me for sure b/c Nissan didn't have turbos back then and all MR2s have turbos.

There were Turbo 280Z's and 300ZX's, both Z31 and Z32. Also, not all MR2's were turbo'd... With the Mk1 MR2, it was either NonTurbo or S/C, MK2's were N/A or Turbo. Only the SW22's were turbo.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Van;1846413 said:
A 70s Monaco gets a bad start and the announcer says, "Looks like the Monaco pulled a Supra move" and he gets a huge laugh.
How did "Supra" ever go from a car to and being a well understood joke? :3d_frown:

You DO read other threads here don't you Van?? ;)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
whitehat89;1850398 said:
There were Turbo 280Z's and 300ZX's, both Z31 and Z32. Also, not all MR2's were turbo'd... With the Mk1 MR2, it was either NonTurbo or S/C, MK2's were N/A or Turbo. Only the SW22's were turbo.
lol

I know what those car's options were, it was the announcer that had no idea. His (close-to) exact words:
"Alright, next race- in the Lucas lane we have...looks like a Nissan 280Z, and in the Coca-cola lane; one of those Toyota MR2's. This should be a pretty straight forward race, folks. That Nissan is a decent bit heavier, and those MR2's all have turbos!" or something to that extent.

In reality I was in my gunmetal gray 91 supra, and it was against a 300ZX TT. It was a really fun weekend, but the announcer couldn't pronounce Mitsibishi to save his life! It was always michubitchy DX ...at a Mitsubishi centered event...

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I thought it was all a big joke, until he did it again...and again, until the day of competition. When he announced my name and car correctly, he sounded so surprised!

TheNewRed

Oct 19, 2007
WA
I have found that most of the general public does not recognize my car, but at the local strip it's a different story. Folks love it, and I usually never even catch a frown(with the exception of the FWD crowd). The mark 3 seems to carry it's performance superiority in incognito, which helps when you find yourself in a sea of "domestic muscle-heads".

honeydew

Supra Freebaser
May 10, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Ah don't worry about those announcers. If they get lucky and someone messes up a start, they'll pick on it all day. Maybe something that happened earlier... or perhaps there's a local supra that is notorious for breaking or whatever.

9/10 times it's usually a bloated reference over the most miniscule event. In the States I find the crowds are Import-phobic. Get's a laugh, he might get to keep his job.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'm happy to report this year at the same event we had a better system so the announcer got info for drivers and vehicles asap. The guy was even able to correctly ID most of the cars he didn't have info on!

They can learn (or hire better announcers) :p