So N/A guys, why exactly are you N/A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
I was 16 and stupid. Wanted a RWD manual. Was a toss between the MKIII and FC RX7. I wouldnt trade the experiance for the world though.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
DEFIANT 7M;933322 said:
Well my story is.. I had a disagreement with someone(several) on this board that a N/A could make 300hp to the rear wheels! Me being bull headed refused to give up. I've had several turbo cars two of which where Supras. All my friends are turbo guys. So I'm the joke at all our functions. The fastest is now the slowest! That "Mythical Supra"! Sell all that junk and buy an Evo! It goes on and on. I have always known that a turbo Supra was the best bang for your buck. But the guy who didn't or couldn't buy one should not feel any less because he doesn't have a turbo car. So I said I'll build one to the hilt to see what you can really get out of a N/A. The 300hp to the wheels has been done already, Bugwugger did that. With less than what I have, so why keep going? I feel I owe you guys (N/As) that "What if car"!

Words of true insperation. Gotta love those "What if" cars.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
- got the motor for free
- stock 5m runs great but needs it's top end to be freshened up
- exhaust bolts on, transmission too
- well within the limits (power wise) of the stock tranny, diff and clutch.
- mk2 is not heavy to push around, it's not necessary to have a turbo to have some fun.

it comes down to money in the end. for me to be happy with a turbo motor in my car, I'd have to go all out, addressing the transmission and diff too (means making a custom drive shaft)...intercooler piping etc.....costs go up exponentially. If I had the money, I would be going turbo.

I will be turbo someday, but my 7mge NA will give a me a lot of fun, reliable service for very little cash.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Haha staying N/A for MK2 and MK3 owners is different. It's all about the weight, and to push our weight, we need power :(

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
my cousin ended up buying his first supra in the late 90's, a mkii, only cause is had a cd player. he ended up buying another mkii, then selling both for a 88 turbo targa in which he had about 350hp, stock ct-26 with 12psi, and the most expensive thing he bought was his exhaust, and ran low 13's, high 12's. so i bought mine 2 years ago and been through an engine already. i just would think it would be a good idea to learn about how a supra works and how everything performs. so when i guy a mkiii turbo, i know alot about everything that happens. but i'm trying to save up so i don;t have to sell my n/a.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Even though I've been in the game since 2001, I still don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to turbo a car and maintain it well without wanting to slice my wrists wide open. I still have enough headaches in dealing w/ my N/A car, I couldn't imagine trying to chase down boost leaks and lean conditions and having to shell out big dollars for good electronics and all that crap.

One plus about having the mk2, is that it doesn't take a lot of HP to go very fast. I would love to get into the 13 second area w/ my N/A. If a 290whp mk2 can run a 12.9, why can't a 190whp mk2 run a 13.9 (assuming driver is decent, which is not me, heh). I've seen several N/A cars in the low to mid 14s, and saw one myself this last year at Pacific Raceways. It was a 5MGE, with few mods but it was gutted and on small tires. It ran a 14.1 :aigo:

I'm going to stay N/A until I've maxed it out, or get bored.

dirtlord420

just here
Aug 1, 2005
tn
b/c i like working on it. plus i didnt really know what i was buying. and after the 5spd swap is when i fell in love with it. then i got to where i like working on supras. and bought a few stripped them down. got a turbo was going to put in a mkIII but decided it would be better to put in a mkII. i fig more bang for the buck. plus there are some bad mkIII and mkII in alabama so i fig i better step up the game. i really just go lucky tho with my mkII. but i plan on building another n/a mkIII. i got two empty shells.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Ma70.Ent;931719 said:
Topic :)

Why do you stay N/A, or why are you N/A? Do you just have it cause it's your first car? Do you actually like it? Do you feel it saves you money? Do you play on staying N/A? I'm just bored and curious to see what everyone's outlook on us is. I'm pretty sure most people hate N/As, haha.

I'm N/A because it's my first car, and I feel it saves me money since I know it's futile to put loads of money into it and go nowhere, and as of now, I have no idea if I'm staying N/A or not.

You are making assumptions about why people buy Supras. I can see this as a valid question to a broke kid who should be in a budget Civic.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Nick M;934698 said:
You are making assumptions about why people buy Supras. I can see this as a valid question to a broke kid who should be in a budget Civic.

In my first post, I was just throwing out random questions.

I don't really remember making any assumptions about Supra owners except them being broke initially or becoming broke after owning a Supra.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If your question is why are you naturally aspirated, it could also be why did you not get a turbo model. Nothing wrong with the question. I wonder why also. My second comment hits my opinion.

AW11inVa

Nov 15, 2007
Broadway Va
Ma70.Ent;931719 said:
Topic :)

Why do you stay N/A, or why are you N/A? Do you just have it cause it's your first car? Do you actually like it? Do you feel it saves you money? Do you play on staying N/A? I'm just bored and curious to see what everyone's outlook on us is. I'm pretty sure most people hate N/As, haha.

I'm N/A because it's my first car, and I feel it saves me money since I know it's futile to put loads of money into it and go nowhere, and as of now, I have no idea if I'm staying N/A or not.

I got the car to mostly do body work to since I have taken a pretty good auto body class. I am in the second part of it and they are teaching us to weld in patch panels to repair rust and stuff right now. We learned to paint in the first section.

I got the car hoping this engine would just be an easy fix and I could concentrate on the rust repair and painting her up but I got more into the mechanical end of things then I wanted too.

I just want a nice daily driver I can take the top off of and take a nice cruise through the country with the wife or what ever. I am sure the N/A will still have decent power too. I have a 1969 Mercury Cougar with a 4V 351 Cleveland and an '87 Supercharged MR2 so I have other other fast cars to play with.

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
I choose to interpret this as: Because turbos are like a penis extension.

My cock is just fine and I have no need to prove that in my supra.

I'll let the porsche do that type of talking.

I stay N/A because turbos are a false sence of power.

They still have the weak hg problem in the gte's.

SO you have bought yourself a HIGHER MAINTENANCE RIDE.
That costs more to operate on and or repair. Pending what breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.