so... in light of one of my previous threads... I just wanted to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Grandavi;1909064 said:
Are you saying that we own a fast car and never race it? That would be a small percentage I would think. Has nothing to do with testes... but most with cars sporting 600+ rwhp are on a track. Those of us with 350-500 rwhp MK3's probably all go WOT on a road at one time or another just for the thrill. I wouldn't say that makes us nut jobs. A true "race car" driver understands safety a lot better than Joe Driver. The higher the speed/power.. the less room for mistakes.

I am old.. seen a lot.. and have been in accidents enough to know what causes them. I have rat-raced through residential streets in my youth and enjoyed it immensely and got a few tickets under my belt doing it. But that was a long time ago with a lot fewer cars on the road and I had a very few parked cars to contend with. (if there are families living in an area... the last thing you want to do is run into a kid.. which I actually did once.. that opened my eyes to the world as it actually is. no, the kid wasn't hurt, I "tapped" him.. but that was all it took for me.)

The whole problem is, it takes a lot of experience to figure out the difference between Fast and Fun and Fast and Stupid.

Most people ignore the fact that our cars perform well for what they are (any car). However, a failure of one component can ruin many people's lives. Or.. a misjudged curve.. or a patch of gravel. It only takes an instant and life changes.

Having said that, we can't live in fear of "what might happen". If people didn't push the envelope, life would be extremely dull.
I drive my car as fast as I can at times, but I would never do what that guy was doing on a 2 lane highway. 4-6 lanes gives you an exit strategy if something happens. 2 lanes is asking for disaster. Lost too many friends to head on collisions already.

oh yeah.. it's embarassing when I speed in my MK3 and I have grey hair... I really gotta tint the windows...

a lot of truth in here, I'll get back on the topic when I have a bit more time, but yes, failed components, I've seen, it's not pretty, and everyone I've seen it happen to has been pretty lucky. my buddy had a tie rod or something give way on his '98 supra with ~1500hp, fortunately he was not using that power, just cruising, he was still rolling slicks and he flipped 4 times, doing 80, but that failure could have easily killed him even at that speed. he was pretty fucked up though (broken collar bone, several broken ribs, ect.) In any case I feel stupid not being prepared to die when I get behind the wheel, because really anything could do it. And I'd rather use my car for it's intended purpose (in the safest manner possible) than to just throw my money at the wind. But yes, I've been in too many accidents to count, most at a younger age riding with my mother... but I've personally wrecked @ 15,25,80, and 120mph. The one @ 120 was because someone pulled out in front of me @ 3:45 in the morning without looking, and well, I figured the dirt looked more inviting than that suv. The most injured I've been from a wreck was the one @ 15 mph. Go figure. (had some bruises on my hip)

BTW that 1,500hp supra never saw the track, and he's now putting that motor into a gs300 :aigo: It never recieved any attention or publicity what-so-ever (besides from the cops) it was something he specifically wanted no one to know about... for plenty of obvious reasons... such as legality, value, privacy

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jdmfreak;1909236 said:
Ya I have had my fair share of driving "experience"...
I'm calling BS on those pics. Either that's a Power Wheel, big scale RC, or you guys have some MASSIVE grass and trees, and a clever photographer. :p

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
te72;1909396 said:
I'm calling BS on those pics. Either that's a Power Wheel, big scale RC, or you guys have some MASSIVE grass and trees, and a clever photographer. :p

Nope took those with my cell phone and they have not been edited.... It was a '90 4-runner on 35s that I chopped the back off then added the back of a 92 pickup cab with a sliding Window... The extra reinforcement I added when doing so saved the roof (mostly)
evidently no matter how much you have "drifted" a vehicle in gravel roads you shouldn't attempt to drive 50 on a sheet of ice.... Tryed for a while to get it in other ditch(was only a foot deep) but wasn't having it so I chose to attempt to bring it back to my lane before a blind corner and she kept on that path.... Turned out way better that it could have

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
And a year later my best friend thought it would be a good idea to swerve to miss a dog and copy me
ageza5yz.jpg
gyvyguqa.jpg
yjymegep.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
89jdm7m;1909292 said:
a lot of truth in here, I'll get back on the topic when I have a bit more time, but yes, failed components, I've seen, it's not pretty, and everyone I've seen it happen to has been pretty lucky. my buddy had a tie rod or something give way on his '98 supra with ~1500hp, fortunately he was not using that power, just cruising, he was still rolling slicks and he flipped 4 times, doing 80, but that failure could have easily killed him even at that speed. he was pretty fucked up though (broken collar bone, several broken ribs, ect.) In any case I feel stupid not being prepared to die when I get behind the wheel, because really anything could do it. And I'd rather use my car for it's intended purpose (in the safest manner possible) than to just throw my money at the wind. But yes, I've been in too many accidents to count, most at a younger age riding with my mother... but I've personally wrecked @ 15,25,80, and 120mph. The one @ 120 was because someone pulled out in front of me @ 3:45 in the morning without looking, and well, I figured the dirt looked more inviting than that suv. The most injured I've been from a wreck was the one @ 15 mph. Go figure. (had some bruises on my hip)

Just to minimize delusion here:

Your 120 wreck was not because somebody pulled out in front of you. It was because you were doing two to three times the speed limit and even had they seen you, would have no reason to think you were flying in at 120.

You have to realize anytime you're doing that kind of speed in a public place you are simply putting others in harms way. An average driver will really struggle to comprehend the speed of an oncoming car at double the speed limit. And that's the fault of the speeder and only the speeder.

Just saying...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
:icon_roll each time you post, you show more and more immaturity... even more than that, your willingness to jump to conclusions

the vehicle never even tried to stop and look for traffic, it simply pulled the fuck out, as if the left hand turn was part of a straight road

suprarx7nut;1909421 said:
had they seen you, would have no reason to think you were flying in at 120.
:bsflag: had they taken the time to see I was coming, they would have taken at least a second or two to try and register my speed before tempting death. Had they done this, I would have already passed them, as the section of road on which I would have been visible was quite short. If somehow you were there, and think they did stop and look for traffic, refer to my previous statement "the vehicle never even tried to stop and look for traffic, it simply pulled the fuck out, as if the left hand turn was part of a straight road"

But, yes it's my understanding that you have to have at least a few screws loose to drive w/ such a heavy right foot as mine. (quite obvious, as I never see anyone really tearing ass, just old ass people not really using their supercars) My buddy has done his fair share of competitive drifting, and he has a very precise, refined style of driving... he's a nut job and a half though... me, my driving falls nowhere in the middle, either it's extremely refined, or just downright violent, no middle ground. I think each individual is born with certain skill sets, and those can improve vastly (or none at all) with a bit of observation or practice of proper driving etiquette... a lot of people will just continue to be poor drivers for the entirety of their lives, no matter how much you show them, or how precise your advice/direction is. All it really boils down for me is a comprehensive knowledge of mechanics, and a general knowledge of physics. I take into consideration as much as I can in those aspects, but some people are simply incapable of making any use of these things.

jdmfreak;1909408 said:
evidently no matter how much you have "drifted" a vehicle in gravel roads you shouldn't attempt to drive 50 on a sheet of ice....

that wreck looks pretty damn rough... now driving 50 on a sheet of ice is exactly what I was doing fri. night. it can be done, as long as you are very familiar with the exacting limit of adhesion (to those specific conditions @ that very moment) now... quickly changing direction, or stopping is another thing altogether. if he had had any plans to do that it should have been very gradual, and he should have been slowing down WAY early

Grandavi;1909064 said:
Has nothing to do with testes...
man, I sure as hell havnt seen any women driving the way I do, and the one's I've let ride in my car would about all flip shit as soon as I slammed the accelerator (in a car than can be heard for ~3 miles) and proceed to hit 90 in less than a city block, top of third comes in about no time (few seconds) and that's when they're saying "WAT THAT HELL ARE YOU DOIN?!?!?! SLOW DOWN!!!!) :rofl:

Grandavi;1909064 said:
The whole problem is, it takes a lot of experience to figure out the difference between Fast and Fun and Fast and Stupid.

Most people ignore the fact that our cars perform well for what they are (any car). However, a failure of one component can ruin many people's lives. Or.. a misjudged curve.. or a patch of gravel. It only takes an instant and life changes.
the line between fast fun and fast stupid blurs pretty quickly sometimes.... but generally If I plan on doing a shakedown run, I'll pick a specific area, definitely not residential.... minimal side-roads/exits. freeways or bypasses are best, then I'll scout the area for any debris, fucked up road surfaces, people, or law enforcement... do a loop and then come back. Almost forgot... time of day. somewhere right up in 3 AM is preferred, as most people SHOULD be in bed.... also straight roads are preferred... corners sure are fun, especially for some tire roasting, but also quite dangerous... if I have mechanical failure I at least want to give myself some chance to walk away.

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
"All it really boils down for me is a comprehensive knowledge of mechanics, and a general knowledge of physics."

I've seen evidence of neither from you. All I've seen is evidence you're gonna have a tough life. That's assuming you survive.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jdmfreak;1909412 said:
And a year later my best friend thought it would be a good idea to swerve to miss a dog and copy me
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

What I was tought long ago is to NOT swerve when it comes to small animals, you're more likely to damage your car by going off the road than the damage the animal will do (and even if you swerve, you might hit fido anyway)

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
89jdm7m;1909503 said:
that wreck looks pretty damn rough... now driving 50 on a sheet of ice is exactly what I was doing fri. night. it can be done, as long as you are very familiar with the exacting limit of adhesion (to those specific conditions @ that very moment) now... quickly changing direction, or stopping is another thing altogether. if he had had any plans to do that it should have been very gradual, and he should have been slowing down WAY early
That was me and I agree with you my change was gradual but after altering momentum back into my lane that section of road was too slick to make a second correction to stay on the road
Poodles;1909587 said:
What I was tought long ago is to NOT swerve when it comes to small animals, you're more likely to damage your car by going off the road than the damage the animal will do (and even if you swerve, you might hit fido anyway)

Yeah his truck would have fared better if he had hit the dog(or if he hadn't been white lining the wrong lane in the first place)

As far as driving in general my thoughts are if you choose to drive reckless(dangerous) you won't be wreckless even if your a professional driver shit happens be wise as to where and when and always choose the ditch over another vehicle/possibility of hurting someone else..... you accepted your fate when you pushed the limits don't push that fate on someone else

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
LMAO. It's just funny now. I give up. You just can reason with dumb.

Please don't kill anyone else. That's the only reason I keep responding to your posts. It'll be a tragic day if your self proclaimed lunatic-style driving hurts an innocent person. Driving is dangerous under normal circumstances, but it is exponentially more dangerous around people driving like a mad man, even if that person is capable of doing so. You may be able to compensate for your driving, but others can't. There are inexperienced people, elderly people, just plain slow people on the road and their inability to drive perfectly and fully comprehend a lunatic driver around them isn't their fault.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
suprarx7nut;1909595 said:
LMAO. It's just funny now. I give up. You just can reason with dumb.

Please don't kill anyone else. That's the only reason I keep responding to your posts. It'll be a tragic day if your self proclaimed lunatic-style driving hurts an innocent person. Driving is dangerous under normal circumstances, but it is exponentially more dangerous around people driving like a mad man, even if that person is capable of doing so. You may be able to compensate for your driving, but others can't. There are inexperienced people, elderly people, just plain slow people on the road and their inability to drive perfectly and fully comprehend a lunatic driver around them isn't their fault.

hey, you hit the nail on the head

I never claimed some of what I've done wasn't stupid... and I'll never claim not to do anything stupid in the future (only try not to)

So far though, I've had an extremely high success rate of avoiding danger, and keeping others out of danger as well... like I said though, I'm growing old, and my thirst for danger/speed has almost entirely been quelled.

Best thing you can do though, is give sound advice. You can try to reason/talk someone out of doing what they do/being who they are... that simply will not work.

jdmfreak;1909592 said:
That was me and I agree with you my change was gradual but after altering momentum back into my lane that section of road was too slick to make a second correction to stay on the road

yeaup... if I were driving, I believe I would have simply tried to slow down... you probably would have had issues doing just that (vehicle trying to break sideways) if the dog wasn't smart enough to move, he deserved what he had comin... sadly

stew_7mgte

Jun 12, 2011
Fontana, CA
Living in southern California i see wreckless driving almost daily. Mostly by little honda guys trying to show off. I will admit that i speed and drive stupid at times but i do it in the mountain on a publicly closed road. If go over 80mph on the freeway its at 2am and there is nobody else in sight.

If i see somebody crash into an innocent person while driving stupid, i will stop and beat the hell out them before the cops arrive. Done it before and i will do it again.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
if that last statement is true.. how often have you been in jail?

Gotta remember, some people driving stupid aren't doing it on purpose... (I know.. thats a really open sentence... but.. you get the idea)

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
lol, that's hilarious. I've never even gotten a speeding ticket in any of my supras (or any ticket for that matter).... although admittedly, I did blow past a trooper one night doing twice the speed limit WOT in a car that was loud enough to be heard for miles. I slowed to the speed limit, and he just rolled past like nothing happened.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Whats funny is f1 drivers like lewis Hamilton drive faster than most people for a living and they still crash cars...A lot more expensive and better handling ones...

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
you gotta think though... the type of driving they do is totally incomprehensible to me... I mean those machines are so extreme they make everything else look silly by comparison... so, I think driving at limits far past what any street car could ever meet would easily account for the wrecks they may have had... The instinct and muscle memory of driving those race cars would become ingrained to a certain point that it would be easy to push a street car way past it's limits, and still feel ok with it. (of course this would result in a wreck most likely)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Was talking about the cars they drive on the streets not there f1 cars. But they crash those as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.