so i'm getting a 7mgte engine swap....

toofast4urass

Feb 27, 2007
San Jose
so i'm getting a 7mgte engine swap, and i really need some good advice. i orginally have a 7mge, but i found out that turbo is obviously better so that's why i'm getting a engine and tranny swap. So what i need is some help on what to buy after i get the engine and tranny swap. what should i buy so i don't mess up my car like is there an order in which i should buy certain products? like a boost controller, or a turbo timer, intercooler, cold air intake? However, i want to keep my car smog legal, because i live in california and passing emmissions is a bitch here. or some upgrades that can be switched out easily before i go to get a smog check. May I please have some feedback because i love my supra and i want it's performance to be well and efficient, just like Supras should be. Thank you for everyone who reads this and gives advice. Thanks again.

Motofool

Oct 16, 2007
Spokane WA
toofast4urass said:
so i'm getting a 7mgte engine swap, and i really need some good advice. i orginally have a 7mge, but i found out that turbo is obviously better so that's why i'm getting a engine and tranny swap. So what i need is some help on what to buy after i get the engine and tranny swap. what should i buy so i don't mess up my car like is there an order in which i should buy certain products? like a boost controller, or a turbo timer, intercooler, cold air intake? However, i want to keep my car smog legal, because i live in california and passing emmissions is a bitch here. or some upgrades that can be switched out easily before i go to get a smog check. May I please have some feedback because i love my supra and i want it's performance to be well and efficient, just like Supras should be. Thank you for everyone who reads this and gives advice. Thanks again.

well if your buying a gte engine you might as well do the headgasket wheil the motor is not in the car. check the oil pan for any non-normal debree replace al hoses and vital gaskets while it is apart, clean everything you can having the head aluminum washed and decked for a nice metal headgasket. clean intake and throttle body.

for performance upgrades, a boost controller, a manual boost controller is really cheap. most opt for a electronic boost controller. remember just cause u put on a boost controller does not mean you can just up boost and not change your fuel system to keep up with the added boost and your stock turbo really does not like you up the boost very much for a new turbo guy i would recommend staying 12psi or under until you know whats going on.

and myself would start with your eyes for tuning and get some guages, Boost, EGT, possibly wideband 02 sensor.

then i would open up the exhaust from the turbo back, im pretty sure cali requires catalytic converters so you would need a hiflow cat the same diameter as the exhaust you choose. when you buy upgrades plan for the future if you have plans for more power later dont settle for less then proper components get the 3" exhaust,

after exhaust i would do intercooler/hardpipes for small budgets you can use pvc piping for the intercooler pipes and it is an improvement over stock for low boost conditions. not the most eye appealing but sometimes you cant afford the bling. other intercooler pipe options you can get some mandrel U bends or any kinda bend u want to order and cut them and rotate the angles to make the proper route you want and have them welded together or use many silicone couplers. welded together is preferred cause every coupler with a clamp is a place for a boost leak.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
^^^^The headgasket is definitely a part that I would replace while the engine is out of the car, and if youre not going to rebuild the motor then I would get the block and head decked for a metal headgasket, you may not see it necessary for your goals at the time, but it wouldnt hurt to have it for later. If you opt not to go this route then I would atleast retorque your headbolts to 75 ft/lbs.

The only thing I disagree about the above post is the pvc piping for the intercooler piping, because the piping going over the turbo will get hot and pvc could start to melt with those temperatures. So if youre not interested in getting hardpipes then I would replace the pipes you have, because on an older vehicle with rubber hoses for intercooler pipes they can be brittle and cause boost leaks.

aberabee

Oct 28, 2007
south carolina
also disagree about PVC intercooler piping. i would wait at least six months before you start modding...get used to driving the car with the stock power and go up from there.

toofast4urass

Feb 27, 2007
San Jose
My current situation doesn't let me legally drive my car really at all for about a year, so driving this car to get the feel of the engine upgrade is not really an option. However, i still take it around the block a couple times 2 or 3 days a week. I decided i'm just going to work on it until i can drive it.thank you guys alot for telling me what's up if there's any more advice or options i should know just let me know i love feedback the more i know about the supra mk3 the better!! Ok so i was thinking about buying my mods from www.suprastore.com. they look like they know what they are talking about are they reliable? Also what BRAND NAMES should i buy for the upgrades. thank you.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
toofast4urass said:
My current situation doesn't let me legally drive my car really at all for about a year, so driving this car to get the feel of the engine upgrade is not really an option. However, i still take it around the block a couple times 2 or 3 days a week. I decided i'm just going to work on it until i can drive it.thank you guys alot for telling me what's up if there's any more advice or options i should know just let me know i love feedback the more i know about the supra mk3 the better!! Ok so i was thinking about buying my mods from www.suprastore.com. they look like they know what they are talking about are they reliable? Also what BRAND NAMES should i buy for the upgrades. thank you.

Check the vendors on here first, they have always beaten suprastore's prices on the exact same products. I would go through driftmotion personally, you cant beat their customer service and prices.

aberabee

Oct 28, 2007
south carolina
okay,
i understand your driving situation. as far as brand names, most of the big japanese companies are great (HKS, Blitz, etc) not to mention any TRD stuff is good but is hard to find for our cars.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
toofast4urass said:
Ok so i was thinking about buying my mods from www.suprastore.com. they look like they know what they are talking about are they reliable?

I've got to ask why?

We've got an entire list of vendors on this site:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

You can post in each of their forums here, get personal advice from each of them. You can compare pricing, see user reviews, talk to others who have used these vendors. We've put a lot of effort into making sure this is all available to you, the Supra owner, free of charge.

You can get everything from an HKS stroker kit to a T-shirt from these vendors. Many of them make unique parts you can't even find elsewhere.

These vendors are here, on this site, day in and day out, answering questions and supporting this community. Neither Mark Tozer nor any representative of Suprastore (when it was a real company - see below) has ever set foot on this site.

Additionally, that's not even a real company anymore. Tozer sold out to another large shop that now answers the phone and fills the orders for him.

(And no, they aren't a vendor here either.)

I'm just trying to understand why you'd choose someone who has no presence here, one of the worst reputations in the Supra parts business and the some of highest prices to boot?

The wonders of the "yahoo small business" website?

Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated, but we go out of our way to hold our vendors to the highest standards and demand that they support the community in order to maintain their space here. And they all do. They bust their collective asses to make this community happy.

When someone just goes and picks some shithead out of the blue to give their hard earned cash to, I have to ask why. Where did we fail?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Um.

Maybe you might think about switching to decaf?
:icon_bigg

From his post count, I'd say he's brand new here, may not even have known that there WAS a vender section.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
supraguy@aol said:
Um.

Maybe you might think about switching to decaf?
:icon_bigg

Wouldn't help, I was born an asshole. ;)

supraguy@aol said:
From his post count, I'd say he's brand new here, may not even have known that there WAS a vender section.

He's been a member since February. :p

I'm just trying to figure out how we failed to deliver good information...

Seems like a lot of our members buy from vendors who aren't here, or even worse from vendors who aren't allowed to be here. We hear about the horror stories, but by then it's always too late.

I'm trying to determine if we've somehow failed, or is it just people these days have a complete lack of loyalty? Is it just a complete failure to understand that you should support the people that support you?

I hope not. I'm just trying to understand the phenomenon.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Supracentral said:

Seems like a lot of our members buy from vendors who aren't here, or even worse from vendors who aren't allowed to be here. We hear about the horror stories, but by then it's always too late.

I'm trying to determine if we've somehow failed, or is it just people these days have a complete lack of loyalty? Is it just a complete failure to understand that you should support the people that support you?

Its not a failure of the Staff or anybody on the forum, IMO. I just think he may (like a lot of supra owners) have a friend who is a Honda enthusiast and suggests him to certain brand name parts. I know that when people ask me about my exhaust(BIC) and I tell them that its a custom exhaust from a guy in Canada, they are shocked that I put that piece on my car. But when they see the craftsmanship and hear the sound, they are impressed.

Not sure if its a similar situation with this guy, but not too many people on the east coast know who Driftmotion, or BIC, or any other good vendors on this site are. They assume that going through these huge companies for their parts that they are getting the best price, and in most cases that's not true.

I know that I will always consult the SM vendors before I will venture into anyone else's stores. You cant beat their customer service anywhere!

toofast4urass

Feb 27, 2007
San Jose
I dont know where to look... sorry i still am new to this, this website just didn't show me where to look for reliable vendors that aren't trying to screw me over. alot of times i have looked for vendors, but no such luck. Could u please give me an accurate site that makes parts for a 1987 turbo supra (MkIII)? It might be a dumb question, but if i couldn't find it, i'm sure there are others that are also not getting this knowledge. so can u please respond to this and let me know? ty very much.

Supracentral said:

Techno Supra

Hardcore DJ
Wow. Home page....scroll down....authorized vendors. There's a whole section of reputable vendors with great prices. I have personally only bought from BIC and HPF (Horse Power Freaks) so far, but that will change as I need different things. Also check the group buys and MKIII parts for sale section (also on the home page here.) I can't believe you had to ask...just explore this site and you can find just about anything you could want or want to know.

toofast4urass

Feb 27, 2007
San Jose
Ok thank you every1 for pointing out where the vendors are. I looked at horsepowerfreaks and bic, however i seem to like 935 motorsports.com very more user friendly and easy to use, and plenty of parts!! A new question though so please help out if u can!!! I was getting a 7mgte engine 5speed and tranny for 1500.00 from tigerjapanese.com. But, they don't say if there engines pass smog.Also pick up there phones so i don't want to buy from them if there engines don't passs smog considering I live in california where smog is a big thing sadly =(. So if anyone has bought any engine and trannys form websites let me know the website please!!!!!!!! Good Quality is the only thing i really want to put in my supra. I love it very much lol pathetic but true. So please respond with feedback if you can help me out with this problem thank you.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
If you found a JDM 7mgte w/ transmission, you or the shop putting the motor in can swap over the appropriate parts to make it smog legal.

We are big on emissions here, so if you have any questions about CA smog give a call.

I have an entire turbo swap for sale right now, but it has rod knock and would need to be rebuilt.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
It wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up that engine, toofast, even though it has RK.
You never really know exactly what you're getting with a JDM setup, or any other, so it makes sense that no matter where you get your motor, you should plan on tearing it down and rebuilding it, so you don't have to do it in 6 months.
If 935 has a good price on the motor, you should consider it.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Supracentral said:
I've got to ask why?

We've got an entire list of vendors on this site:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

You can post in each of their forums here, get personal advice from each of them. You can compare pricing, see user reviews, talk to others who have used these vendors. We've put a lot of effort into making sure this is all available to you, the Supra owner, free of charge.

You can get everything from an HKS stroker kit to a T-shirt from these vendors. Many of them make unique parts you can't even find elsewhere.

These vendors are here, on this site, day in and day out, answering questions and supporting this community. Neither Mark Tozer nor any representative of Suprastore (when it was a real company - see below) has ever set foot on this site.

Additionally, that's not even a real company anymore. Tozer sold out to another large shop that now answers the phone and fills the orders for him.

(And no, they aren't a vendor here either.)

I'm just trying to understand why you'd choose someone who has no presence here, one of the worst reputations in the Supra parts business and the some of highest prices to boot?

The wonders of the "yahoo small business" website?

Sorry if I sound a bit frustrated, but we go out of our way to hold our vendors to the highest standards and demand that they support the community in order to maintain their space here. And they all do. They bust their collective asses to make this community happy.

When someone just goes and picks some shithead out of the blue to give their hard earned cash to, I have to ask why. Where did we fail?

i goto the venders here before i go anywhere else, better service (esp compared to suprastore) and better advice/selection.

pred

Jul 29, 2007
Charlotte, NC
i havent really posted yet, but my experience has been very similar to yours. I didn't know too much about where to find parts n such, my first choice was suprastore.. bought their powerslot brake kit.. well 2 rotors were on back order which they failed to mention, took about 3 weeks to 2 day ship me my stuff. No.. Oh I am sorry, just lack of attention on their part. Driftmotion is a fantastic store though and they have very competitive pricing as well.

My engine was one of those jdm motors.. 5k miles down the road, BHG. Be careful what you are buying.

toofast4urass

Feb 27, 2007
San Jose
935motorsports said:
If you found a JDM 7mgte w/ transmission, you or the shop putting the motor in can swap over the appropriate parts to make it smog legal.

We are big on emissions here, so if you have any questions about CA smog give a call.

I have an entire turbo swap for sale right now, but it has rod knock and would need to be rebuilt.

ur offer does sound tempting... how would i be able to get rid of this rod knock and how much for the entire turbo swap? And thank you for letting me know that 935 motorsports does care about CA smog/emissions that is very important to me. thanks again. please get back to me.