so i found something very dissapointing today...

RJS22

Aug 18, 2009
Ellicott City, MD
so i have a huge exhaust leak...narrowed it down to the exhaust mani gasket around cylinder 6 (could see the gasket coming up)..then looked to notice 2 of my head "studs" were actual bolts with multiple washers in the 2 last spots..one goes in and tightens down the last one slides freely..they are also more coarse than oem studs...any recommendations on what to do? this is frustrating since this is my daily driver..

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
You'll have to remove the manifold and helicoil or timecert the holes....you can do it with the motor in the car but odds are you'll fuck it up...it's best to do this in a milling machine (aka machine shop).

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
With the head off the car it's not too bad, in the car I can't imagine it working out very well. I did it with just a hand drill, tapped with a buddy helping to make sure it was straight... came out pretty well.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
did this with motor in the car no problems last year. i used a 90 degree angle drill (correct term?) with a short drill bit. removing the motor for an exhaust leak? lot of work for a small issue on a dd. I did helicoils, but would do timecerts if i did it again. (still holding perfectly though!)

use a deep socket lined up next to the tap and a level to get the threads correct. Im betting somebody forced a bit bigger bolt into the stripped hole.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
removing the motor for an exhaust leak? lot of work for a small issue on a dd

it's not as simple as an exhaust leak...it's stripped hole the happens to be very important! Seems like a small issue but it's a problem and an even bigger problem on a turbo car!

anybody have luck with the Drift Motion 7/16' studd replacement kit

I'm not gonna get into why you should stay away from the oversized stud kit from DM...but I hope you'll take my word for it as as a machinists view.

Yes many people run it without problems..."yet"....but that doesn't mean it's good stuff!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
gaboonviper85;1444035 said:
I'm not gonna get into why you should stay away from the oversized stud kit from DM...but I hope you'll take my word for it as as a machinists view.

I'm very interested to know why.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
grimreaper said:
did this with motor in the car no problems last year. i used a 90 degree angle drill (correct term?) with a short drill bit. removing the motor for an exhaust leak? lot of work for a small issue on a dd. I did helicoils, but would do timecerts if i did it again. (still holding perfectly though!)

use a deep socket lined up next to the tap and a level to get the threads correct. Im betting somebody forced a bit bigger bolt into the stripped hole.

This is the route that I would lean towards myself honestly. After taking the exhaust all off you should have enough room to get in without pulling the engine.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Just posting it here for people's reference, it takes a bit of scrolling :)

gaboonviper85 said:
Going to 7/16ths means you'll have to drill out the holes even larger for the helicoils...this is bad!

This is bad because there isn't much aluminum around each hole as it is...this means less meat...the aluminum is already soft from annealing so now you'll be removing more material....this can promote cracking, further striping, coils too just pull out over time (you'll notice the nuts won't stay tight after you put some miles on)...it's just bad!

I recently rebuilt my head...my head wasn't annealed (or atleast not as bad as I've seen)...but what "I" did was, helicoiled for a smaller stud than stock "3/8-16"....this meant I didn't have too drill out much aluminum at all!

I'm not arguing as the only people who would argue this simply aren't that smart when it comes to this type stuff....I machine for a living so I just kinda see this stuff as basic...although I consulted ij about doing this first he too agreed with my idea and it wasn't new info to him either as he is a machinist also with years more experience than I!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
A 7/16th Thread roll might also be an option for soft heads as it will harden the material around the stud and a stripped m10 hole should he close to it's drill size.
(this is off the top of my head I'd need to confirm with my tooling supplier)

StrikeIS

Apr 1, 2009
Va
I had this same problem about a week ago. I just tapped it put a stud in and bolted it down. Mine was a little easier to get to cause it was the one hole closer then the last one. Thing that made me made was even after I fixed the exhaust leak I could still hear the noise, turned out my egr cooler was leaking also. That was a pain to get to.