So i found out why i "Only" made 283rwhp...

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
so, when i went to the dyno, my car had something of an exhaust leak. i knew my DP flange was warped and i assumed thats where the leak was; post-turbo. well, more recently, i found out i had a pre-turbine exhaust leak too. you think this gasket is reusable?

DSCN14172.JPG

i stumbled across a toyota gasket that ill be replacing this one with. i still have to resurface my DP flange though to be leak free...or as close as i can get for now.

i just thought you guys might get a chuckle out of this :biglaugh: i sure did... now i have proof why my numbers were low instead of just excuses!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's why the Toyota gasket is a MLS type ;)
Aftermarket gaskets for the head/manifold will do the same thing.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah, my fiance wasn't too happy when I insisted on getting a new exhaust manifold gasket from the dealer when the one from the parts store was cheaper.

Oddly enough the felpro manifold to turbo gasket is the same style as the OEM, where did he find a crappy version of that gasket?

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Poodles;1055825 said:
Oddly enough the felpro manifold to turbo gasket is the same style as the OEM, where did he find a crappy version of that gasket?

He used an Old T4 Style Gasket. ;)

Felt-Pro Gasket exhaust flange gasket is made in Japan, so it's essentially a Stone Gasket. (i remember reading on cousins gasket kit it said made in japan and i put it next to one of mine, same notch and everything.) :)

But Yea. I have a Toyota Gasket kit i regret buying as most of these gaskets are outsourced. :(

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
well, i do beleive it was a fel-pro gasket or an otherwise cheap aftermarket gasket part of a full engine gasket kit. this turbo was put on a few years ago when the 60-1 on it let go... when this motor went in my car, i didnt touch the turbo. but now, its been heavily touched by me.

maybe i can use some copper RTV!

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
aaaaand that's why I don't run any gaskets between my turbo and manifold. (and no, I don't have any leaks)

I remember there was a thread on here a while ago about a guy using an aluminum gasket between his turbo and manifold. The EGTs melted it, and pushed it out.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Your IC pipe that connects to the turbo has seen better days as well. I wouldn't be surprised to hear you have a boost leak there.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
my felpro set was just like the oem one too. plus i have reused the turbo to man. and it seals fine everytime. the key is to not over torque the ones that are easy to get to. i would spray some wd on those man. nuts even if you don't plan on take them off. it will stop the rust build. that is if you ever want to take of the man without helicoiling the head (its impossible with the head on).

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
black89t;1056055 said:
my felpro set was just like the oem one too. plus i have reused the turbo to man. and it seals fine everytime. the key is to not over torque the ones that are easy to get to. i would spray some wd on those man. nuts even if you don't plan on take them off. it will stop the rust build. that is if you ever want to take of the man without helicoiling the head (its impossible with the head on).

you can helicoil the last one with the head on, just need a right angle drill... go ask my dad. haha

my gasket kit came with a MLS type gasket for that one, but the mani to head one is a composite like most others.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
Quik, its about 9.5:1 compression.

if the manifold studs strip out the head, i end up switching to 7/16x14 bolts, mainly cuz helicoiling in the car is like you said. Titan didnt use a gasket on my friends MKIV. he has a dynamic turbo manifold and a PTE72. the old gasket was shot and i took the car apart in their parking lot but when i asked for a new gasket, they said put it together without one. any minor leaks that DO show up will fill themselves with carbon/soot. i used that same method on my DP-to-midpipe; no gasket. i was just waiting for any leaks to clog up with carbon... however, the leak on my DP to turbo never even attempted to seal up.

i guess i could try the no-gasket trick again and run it easily till any gaps close up with carbon.

also, my split in that IC pipe you see doesnt extend past the nozzle of the compressor. i ended up trimming off about 10mm of length to push the pipe on further so the clamp would seal below the split... i made a boost leak tester for my truck though so ill be trying it on my car when its together.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
suprabad;1057766 said:
You may want to have a look at this too.:sarcasm:

i saw it when i took the turbo off... fortunately, ive got some time before it becomes a huge problem; that split is on the unpressurized side of the hose clamp. you can see the marks inside the hose where the nozzle of the compressor discharge extends and seals against a clean part of hose. ill do a hard pipe on that side too... someday. lol

justin, i was about to text you yesterday and ask you something, cuz you of all people would know when/if RE5 will come out for PS3 (i just bought one!)

drbowser3

The Doc is in...
Jan 17, 2006
Tampa,FL
We have the metal gasket, for both turbo-manifold, and turbo-downpipe flanges at the shop.

When I had the 60-1, I put on a new one from Toyota, and it never leaked.

Justin727

T-virus infected
flubyux2;1059272 said:
justin, i was about to text you yesterday and ask you something, cuz you of all people would know when/if RE5 will come out for PS3 (i just bought one!)

Sometime in 2009. It was delayed because of the stir up of racial trouble the game may have seem to of had. White guy in army fatigues killing the black villagers in africa.. Although not meant to be racial at all just following a story line and to come off true. It was remade to be more racially diverse. So it was delayed till 09.