so I broke down in tahoe yesterday.... help!

sactomkiii

Jul 7, 2006
sacramento
:cliffs down below:

So I was driving through the strip all of a sudden I started hearing a high pitching sqeeking/squeeling noise coming from under the hood. I pulled over to see whats going, and with the car running I checked all my accessories by placing a screw driver to them then placing my ear up to the screw driver. However, couldn't track down where it came from. I then, walked up to the local mechanics to see if I could barrow some tools to start taking some belts off so I could figure out where it was coming from. When I come back with tools I notice that something was chewing up my timing belt. So I pulled off the clutch fan, so I can get a better look at the tensioner pully for the timing belt. I start the car up and try to listen as best as I can but still can't pin poin the sound. At this point Im about to give up and I just drive it up to the shop. The Mechanic takes a look at it and ask me to start it up, he does the samething that I did earlier placing his ear to the end of a screw driver trying to listen in on all the different pullies and accessories under the hood. He comes to the conclution that its got to be the tensioner pully. Great news because its a 5min fix, only problem is no one in tahoe has the part and no one can get it up there till tues because of the holiday. So I call around in sacramento find ONE place that has one, and beg my folks to pick it up and bring it up. They give in a say they'll go and get it and bring it up the next day. So at about 10:30 this morning my mom showed up with part. After about 15min of fighting with the little spring that holds tension on the pully I get it all back to gether. I start it up... success! the noise is gone! The belts a lil chewed up but should get me home fine. But as soon as I go to pull out of the parking lot the noise comes back, as bad as ever! I eventually had to leave it up there at a shop, to be looked at tomorrow since they are all closed. What else could it be? It has to be something involving the timing belt assembly since the belt is getting shreaded. The only other sound I can compare it to is when your power steering is getting low, but higher pitched and louder. However I checked the level and turning the wheel from left to right and the only change in the sound seemed to be with the RPM's of the car....

cliffs: something in making a wining/squeeking sound from the front of the engine, and is tearing up my timing belt. I've replaced the tensioner pully, water pump is brand new, and doesn't seem to be coming from the power steering pump or alternator. What else could it be? btw my oil pressure/temp seem to be fine.

sactomkiii

Jul 7, 2006
sacramento
I freaking called it! Some how a bolt fell down into my timing belt cover and grenaded my aligning crankshaft sproket! took $500 to figure that out...

Last edited: