Smoking really really bad from exhaust.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Alright so I am at wits end here, I cant really think of anything else that could be doing this, but here is the problem.

As noted the car smokes and I mean smokes a lot. If you have ever done a fuel induction service and didnt have the car revved up enough and the cleaner puddled in the intake you have seen the kind of smoke I am talking about. So thick it will block out my entire house and street in seconds. Alright so the rundown of the car.

Car is a 88 na bone stock, turbo swap from 89 jdm. Everything is stock except an hks mgh and arp studs. Took the motor apart before installing and replaced all the seals, except valve seals(more on this later). I checked all the specs and bearings and rings and everything is in spec.

So I got the motor in the car started it up and it runs great except blue smoke. So checking #6 there was oil on the valves and on the piston, so I put a new set of valve seals in the whole motor. Cometic valve seals, looked like polyurethane. Anyways with that done no more blue smoke but a lot of white smoke. There is no coolant in the car just straight water, and even with no water in the engine it is still smoking white, and even a co2 tester didnt pull up any co2 in the water. So head gasket should be out of the question.

Now the cats were broken up so I cut out all the cat material so its straight piped, but its a factor stock exhaust. There are no codes and the car runs perfect, probably better than perfect. The only known problem is the bov is toast complete pass through. New one is on the way. After I take the car out and drive it for a while the smoke settles down, but letting it sit and run and warm up will not make it go away. And again if this were a little smoke I wouldnt care but it is a lot. Coolant is always full and resivour stays at same level. I have heard that there is something you have to do to a jdm motor or it will smoke but not sure if i believe it or not.

So question is can anyone think of anything that would create this much smoke? Also there is no blue in it at all and it just smells like normal exhaust. Could this just be from not having any cats on it or any other ideas? Once I get the bov and install it I am going to drive the car on a longer trip, has seen probably 10 2 mile trips since putting it in. I am going to take it to get a 5 gas analysis done to see if maybe something there will show me anything but just looking for some ideas before hand.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
When my car smoked that bad my turbo seal blew. It poured oil into the intercooler. It filled up so much and it started dumping into the throttle I assume. I took an oil pan and placed it under the intercooler inlet (from turbo) hose. I loosened the hose and pulled it from the intercooler. 2-3 quarts of oil came out. Sure enough, I was low on oil too. That was my experience.

See if anything comes out of the intercooler. Good luck.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
I have pulled all the ic piping off and checked for oil, not even residue, same for intake took all of intake apart and turbo and checked for oil. Even the pcv system had no oil going into the 3000 pipe. The oil level stays the same, it has not dropped a bit and there are no leaks.

DangoAZ

Driver
Jun 13, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
No blue in the exhaust and smells like "normal" exhaust? Like "old muscle car" exhaust? What color is the smoke... I'm assuming black, not white based on the fuel cleaner analogy? Could be way too much fuel... I would think that would cause a CEL for rich condition, but ?

- You say your BOV is toast... tell me it is re-circulating please... otherwise you would be dumping metered air out of the system and what your computer thinks it's calculating for AFR is hosed... dumping way too much fuel and smoking.
- Stuck fuel injector - Check with battery voltage across terminals and make sure they 'click' to mean they are pulsing.
- 7th (warm-up) injector not turning off properly - Check per TSRM.
- Fuel pressure regulator - pull off vacuum hose reference, suck on the end and make sure you have a good seal (ie - you can't suck gas through the hose). I had a bad FPR dumping gas into the vacuum hose causing way rich and I didn't find it quickly.
- Bad O2 sensor - Search the forum for O2 sensor check. Monitor Vf.
- Fuel pressure check - clogged re-circ to the tank causing too much fuel pressure (bad at idle... maybe OK for driving around which is why it goes away?)

- Try pulling a spark plug and checking what they look like. http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html
Anyways - Diagnosing what is burning is probably most important for getting more help from the forum...

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Well as it goes all of the fuel injection stuff I have used always blows out white smoke if you dont have idle up high enough, I have used the everwear with i.v. vac injection, and bg pressurized systems, and I always get a very clear white smoke from them. BTW I am a master tech with L1 just for info.

I have thought about the cold start injector being stuck open but have not wanted to go through the work of taking it off to test it as of yet.

As for the injectors I have used a stethoscope to listen to all the injectors and they sound like they are ok.

The bov is recirculating its just stuck open internally so its constantly recirculating, but no loss of metered air. Did a smoke test and pressure on the ic system looking for leaks and it holds pressure and no smoke.

Didnt even think about checking the o2 signal :nono:

As for the smell it does not have burnt oil or fuel smell to it that is what I meant by normal. Before it did smell bad of burning oil, until I put the valve seals in it.

I will check the o2 readings when I get home and see what it says.

DangoAZ

Driver
Jun 13, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Yeah - You being an L1 Master Tech probably means that you know more about this sh*t than I do...

I was under the assumption that you had a BLACK smoke issue - hence all of the fuel stuff. My bad.

So now - On to what kind of smoke it is!

You're not losing any water... Not from the over-flow, and not as seen under the radiator cap? No hydrocarbons in the coolant system, and still smokes with NO water at all. Probably not coolant to combustion chamber problem.

Smoke is white, not dark. And NO SMELL. Dude - If it was fuel, you'd smell it. Unless you're smelling burnt turds all day... It'd smell bad. Same for smoke cloud due to oil. You'd smell it for sure. Like a two stroke warming up - Burning oil is totally noticable by smell.

For that matter, everything BUT coolant is going to stink. Even coolant has a sweet distinctive smell to it... I'm mostly baffled that with all that smoke, it still smells like normal exhaust.

Last thought - And I know it's stretching... What if there's something in there that shouldn't be in a car? Like you left a rag or glove in the cat converter when you reamed it out. Or bees decided they like the color of your Supra and decided to build a mud hut in your muffler. Could you have gotten a super-junk tank of gas with a bunch of sh*t in it (like a nimrod that tops off an underground gas tank with diesel and nobody is the wiser)?

Short of that... I'm baffled. I'd kind of like to be there to see it though, because I'm curious. Keep digging...

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Well the web site went down after posting a very long post. So the long story short, after installing the bov there is very little smoke from the car, what is there now is blue so I guess there is still some oil getting by somewhere, gonna do a leakdown test soon. But I really dont get how the bov could cause so much white smoke, I mean pure white lol. Anyways the day before yesterday I went to run the car for a little bit and it ran for 3 mins then started running like crap at which time code 31 came on. Tested code as per Mitchell and all seems ok so I am assuming the afm has taken a crap as the code definition in Mitchell is "a short between two terminals in the afm". So I am gonna be looking for a afm, if you have one let me know I am gonna check the fs section too.

I think the blue smoke/ oil burning has to be coming from the rings so I figure in a few months after my wife has her fill of the power level the car is at, its gonna get some je pistons, eagle rods, lex afm, 550s, a walbro and a afpr.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
^ nope pulled turbo off and checked, there was no oil in any of it. Gotta remember its a jdm motor with probably low mileage, but has most likely been sitting in a warehouse for a long time, but the turbo is fresh. I checked the spec on cyl walls and ring gap before installing motor and all was ok, the motor may just have to seat as it has all new seals in it but the rings are oe and still had the hash marks from honing in the cyl walls to i figure they should be good may have just not gone through enough heat and cooling cycles to get all the seals and clearances set.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Well after the bov somehow got rid of the white smoke I do have a little blue smoke, well its a good bit on normal standards but a very small amount compared to what I had of the white smoke ( I still for the life of me cant figure out why the bov could or would create so much smoke). Anyways found I had an oil leak as oil was burning off the motor and would not stop.

Now when we did the install I left a clamp off the oil cooler and one of the lines came off just as I was shutting off the motor, not enough to cause damage but enough to spray oil everywhere. So when there was oil on my exhaust mostly on the cat(empty housing) around the welds from taking the internals out. So I got under the car and checked everything and found that the oil is coming from an exhaust leak at the elbow to down pipe, thats right wow another wtf.

So I am gonna have to pull the turbo off again and I am sure to find that the exhaust housing seal is gonna be shot, its a lot of oil coming out so I can only imagine how much is in the exhaust (good thing the cats are hollow lol). So yay after buying the turbo from someone on here, (btw when I got it the shaft was locked up, shitty buy I guess) I am going to have to rebuild that damn thing. There is minimal shaft play side to side and none front to back but O well looks like rebuild is in store. My wife is getting irritated in having to keep putting money in this car and its her car so yea thats how good its going. So now I am down to blown turbo and bad afm, hopefully knock on wood.

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
Any luck fixing this? My car has similar symptoms:

After about 20 seconds of idle blue smoke comes out the exhaust and white smoke out from the exhaust manifold area. It just gets worse the longer I run my car. I have a bad afm but no codes and my turbo was just rebuilt.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
Well it was a bad progress but first off I had bad valve stem seals, I replaced them with cometic ones and it got a lot worse, but the cometic ones didnt seem to fit very well. So put some felpro ones on there and no more smoke, but after driving 100 miles very hard, I blew the seal in the turbo and the smoke came back in full force. I went through 1.5 qt of oil in 50 miles from a friends house home, I checked oil there and it was full, but it was smoking when I got there, started smoking durring a hard pull after I got off the interstate a 0-100mph pull.

So all in all bad valve stem seals and bad turbo were the main issues.