smokes grey, than goes away.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
Hey fellas. So 7mgte here. Just rebuilt. He pistons (ceramic top and coated sides.) So I just rebuilt it and started it up. Purred fine. Broke in the rings how my machinist told me. Rev car between 1500 and 2500 for 30 minutes. Took it out for a drive and car ran awesome. Drove to a friend's house and talked with him for a while. About 15-20 minutes later, car started to smoke. Revved the motor a little bit and it went away. Thinking it was oil getting past the journal on the turbo. Continued driving around, showing off the motor, eventually it would smoke again, I'd just rev it a bit and went away. Got home to inspect it a little better. Doesn't smell sweet. Doesn't feel moist. Feels dry and just smells like normal exhaust. Am not losing coolant so I'm pretty confident that it's just grey.

Side note, when everything was getting built, my turbo did sit with oil in it, in a bag that was soaked in oil. So maybe just burning off the residue. Car has maybe 3 hours of runtime. But other than that, no hesitation or anything. Car runs great. But I am worried about this smoke. Any help?

Ps, I did change my valve stem seals myself. Loaded them in a 10mm and felt them slide past the two grooves.

supra_man87

EL GUAPO
Nov 15, 2007
So. Col.
It originally had 183k and I just rebuilt it entirely. And I revved the car from 1500 to 2500, varying rpms, for 30 minutes. As per how my machinist told me.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
supra_man87;2013494 said:
It originally had 183k and I just rebuilt it entirely. And I revved the car from 1500 to 2500, varying rpms, for 30 minutes. As per how my machinist told me.

You revved the engine unloaded?