Smoked 89+ tailights

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
Was think about tinting or smoking the tailights and i wanted to see if anybody has done this and if they have if they have pics of it.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
gp... look up VHT niteshades. I used it on my last car and got them quite black. Looked good cuz it was a black car. If you use this stuff do like 3 really light coats from about 2 feet away if you want it light...Make sure you clean the surfaces before you paint them really well with alcohol as it leaves no residue and cleans very well.. do it with no wind and make sure you are doing fine coats or you'll see alot of dots. If you do get a dull finish use some polishing compound. should clear it up. Hope this helps.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/VHT_NITE_SHADES_LENS_SP999_p_1990.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VHT-NITESHADES-Tintspray-4-blackouts-NITE-SHADES-corner_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38661QQitemZ7975592839QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Last edited:

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
xarewhyayen said:
gp... look up VHT niteshades. I used it on my last car and got them quite black. Looked good cuz it was a black car. If you use this stuff do like 3 really light coats from about 2 feet away if you want it light...Make sure you clean the surfaces before you paint them really well with alcohol as it leaves no residue and cleans very well.. do it with no wind and make sure you are doing fine coats or you'll see alot of dots. If you do get a dull finish use some polishing compound. should clear it up. Hope this helps.

i have done this for my friends S13 already, and i liked the way it came out so i am considering doing to mine but i was just an idea of what the end results will be. thanks. for his car i did to coats and some clear coat and i was like a foot away i came out pretty dark and looks hot, i did a cut out for the reverse lights to give it some contrast.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
haha actually i did the reverse light contrast thing too... i didnt have much success with clear coat, but i think it was becuz of the clear coat that i had used... lemme see if i can dig up some pictures of the lights i did on my mx3

1st and 3rd are with the niteshades... 2nd is right after i bought the car

Attachments

• Picture 245.jpg
    Picture 245.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 61
  • img000002.jpg
    img000002.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 56
  • MazAtSuprameet.JPG
    MazAtSuprameet.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
on that link i saw that somebody used wetsanding to smooth out the paint and it looked sick, where can u get those wetsanding papers?

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i gonna blakc out mine but i don't knwo how i goign to do ti yet there liek about 4 wasy of doing far as i knwo fo

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
enjoy..
sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
The taillights on the 1JZ are tinted a little. My friend Swebb had them on his car.I liked them. I'll see if I can find a pic

N

NDBoost

gp-7mgte said:
do u use the sandpaper before or after you spray the lights, and how hard do u use the sandpaper?
you use the sand paper after you apply the clear coat to help get rid of orange peel/ripples. Just sand, not too hard..

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
NDBoost said:
you use the sand paper after you apply the clear coat to help get rid of orange peel/ripples. Just sand, not too hard..

ahh kool man thanks for answering most of my questions i will probably do next weekend because its gonna rain this weekend