smoke still?

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
so in previous thread, i had smoke,being oil coming out the exhaust.
so, i went ahead and changed the valve stem seals,and also did a head gasket job.

it still smokes on hard accelleration,but not as much as it use to.
today was the first time i got to drive it again after doing the head gasket.
do you think the smoke could be the"left over/old stuff" still tring to cycle out?

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
nrdriver;1844933 said:
you need rings sir
rings are possible but, i did compression test and all were within specs and also when i did head job, there were no signs of scoring on walls.

91whitepack;1844936 said:
is it a turbo? It might be fuel from running rich on boost. but i may just me an idiot
yes it is a turbo, i did change my maf to lexus and running 560fuel injectors.
i think maybe i need fpr and bigger fuel pump as well then?

91whitepack

May 23, 2012
slidell, louisiana
yes i would go with a bigger pump, fpr, and a safc or something like it to do i little tuning of the air/fuel. Im sure others will chime in too. Its just my theory

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
is the smoke bluish color?

seems to me, if it's burnt oil, it can only be coming from bad turbo seals, leaking valve stem seals, or bad rings. might want to try a leak down test, as this would allow you to eliminate valve stem seals and rings as culprits.

you can also check your lower IC pipe (turbo compressor outlet to intercooler). if it has a shitload of oil in it, that might indicate bad turbo seals.

also, if you did your head gasket job properly, there shouldnt be a whole lot of crap left in the cylinders/head to burn off, so it should go pretty fast. by the time the car is properly warmed up and been driven at normal operating temps for a few minutes, you shouldnt be getting any smoke from the "leftovers" of your rebuild process.

Last edited:

fonz87

89 Turbo!!!!
Nov 17, 2007
Streamwood, IL
mcammarn;1845125 said:
thanks for the help, ill be checking leak down test monday hopefully.
mileage on motor 128k

I have the same issue, I thought it was the turbo so I replaced it with the rebuilt one, MHG and all. Blueish smoke still.....Compression was 155 across the board. My best guess, is the rings..... Just need to drive it for one more summer before 2jz goes in!!! :)