Smoke out of Manifold and White/Blue Smoke out of Exhaust

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Hey guys,
On one of my other threads I was saying that I now have smoke coming out of the manifold and mostly white smoke with a blue tint coming out of the exhaust when I start the car up. I know the majority of the time its a bhg but I have an hks mhg that was installed not too ago and torqued down also. any thoughts or opinions are appreciated, thanks.

cmoser18

Jun 2, 2012
Utah
Is it continuous or just on start up? Did you have the head and/or block milled before the mhg was installed?

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Yes, the head and block were machined when the mhg was intstalled. And yes the smoke is continuous When revving, there is much more smoke.

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Oh I know, I recently had it tuned though and it was around 13-14 but all of a sudden this smoking started to occur and now it's smoking like I said. I've had some cooling problems lately and i think I have a heater core leak.
Could that be part of the problem?

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
Turbo Habanero;1853137 said:
My idle is 15.5 - 16.5 unless cold start then its 13.5

my idle at cold start is 14.7ish
my idle after cold start is 15.2
this is where my VF signal from ECU is happy at a 2.0 volts which at that voltage the ecu isnt working as hard to obtain its desired voltage

im using maft pro in speed density

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
MKIIISupraGuy;1853134 said:
I thought 13-14 at idle was normal ?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

my vf at that afr would go 0.00volts...means the afr is rich and the ecu is now pulling fuel to correct this

everycar is different...some cars vf will go to 2.2 or 2.5 volts where its happy...others like mine are at 2.00V

i see you have the lexus/550's...did you tune it first to obtain a happy VF???

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
if the smoke is blue-ish, it is burnt oil. that is usually a result of one of the following: 1) bad valve stem seals 2) bad rings 3) BHG 4) bad turbo oil seals

i think the most common is probably valve seals, followed by turbo seals. bhg usually results in coolant getting into the combustion chamber, but it can happen with oil as well. easy ways to investigate this: for BHG do compression test. for valve stem seals, and rings, do a leak down test (NOT a compression test). for turbo oil seals: look in the charge pipe between the compressor outlet and the intercooler. if there is a lot of oil in there, it is usually indicative of failing turbo oil seals.

white smoke = burning coolant/water = BHG, or cracked head, or cracked block.

black smoke = very rich a/f mixture.