smoke coming out the tail

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
I had just rebuilt the engine and it's been giving me trouble lately. Had smoke on decel so I got the turbo rebuilt and while at it also install the SAFCII and VPC to by pass the AFM. Got the turbo back, put it together and fire it up and it was black smoke since we didn't do the setting right. Turn it off, removed all the electronic but the VPC, fired it up and a constant low amount of smoke pour out of the tail and doesn't seem to want to stop. Before the electronic and new turbo were installed it didn't have this constant streaming of smoke, it only smoke when decel. The smoke is white but it doesn't smell sweet like coolant.

Anyone know what cause a constant low stream of smoke to come out?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Plugged oil return line, small / clogged / poor quality filter, Wrong or lack of pre lube / priming of turbo (internals already damaged).

How long have you let the car run since the turbo being rebuilt?

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
The turbo has just been put in when I got the gasket from toyota. The one thing we did to the turbo oil inlet is that we decided to add a fuel filter, the clear one where u can see that oil in in the filter to see that there is oil in the return which is then feed into the turbo oil inlet. This was done to get the turbo clean oil and reduce contimination also to reduce pressure going into turbo. We primed the turbo with oil for 60 secs with injector off and fuel pump off.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
White smoke is almost always water vapor. I can't think of anything that acutally burns white. And that doesn't mean BHG only. It could be condesation from any number of things, like the weather.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
When my brake master cylinder went out, HUGE amounts of white smoke were pouring out of the exhaust...I couldn't see twenty feet away! I thought it was a BHG for sure... but the smoke smelled very caustic, not sweet...

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Wait, so you're telling me you have a filter on the RETURN of the turbo?

Does the turbo have any shaft play?

BTW - Oil comming out the rear seal of the turbo burns white. Oil from the ring or front seal in the turbo burns blue.

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
Turbo has no shaft play since it was just rebuilt like 5 days ago. And I have a filter on the inlet not, can't really put a filter on the oil return on the turbo. Basically what I did was cut the metal oil inlet to the turbo and connect them to a hose and have a fuel filter connected to the hose.

About the master break thing, how would you check to see if that is what cause it? And the smoke come out the rear on my car isn't thick, it's pretty thin. I have remove the hose connected from the booster to the top of the intake body and it was still smoking.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
BTW - Oil comming out the rear seal of the turbo burns white. Oil from the ring or front seal in the turbo burns blue.[/QUOTE]

Why the change of color? Thanks!

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
I went out this morning, remove the filter between the oil inlet of the turbo and have the line straight again. The smoke is still there but very little now instead of a clearly good amount coming out like yesterday. However when I rev the engine, smoke come out..... I even open up the spark plug to see if it's wet, it's dry, very dry.

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
When I look inside the turbo b4 I put in on the car, this is when I just got it back, the bearing is lubed with I think is white lithium grease, does that do anything to the turbo initial burn?