Smog test numbers

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
Ok, these are my numbers.. I have the two stock cats on the car, new ngk wires, 3 month old copper plugs, k&n stock air filter, new Denso oxygen sensor, and a recent oil change. Also made sure that timing is set correctly.. Before replacing the oxygen sensor i had a code 12 and 21. I proceeded to change the oxygen sensor and disconnect the negative battery terminal. I drove the car about 30 miles and took it to the smog station and the numbers did not change.. i'm not sure if i had to drive the car more miles so that the ecu picked up on the new oxygen sensor? 001.jpg

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
Alright, so i sent my injectors and CSI to RC Engineering for some servicing. All were GOOD except two that were DRIPPING. Installed them, and took it to smog.. Still failing but numbers decreased. HC is at 120ppm at 15mph and 100ppm at 25mph. CO is 2% at 15mph and 1.5% at 25mph.. NOx significantly dropped to 10ppm. The max for HC is 106ppm at 15mph and 58ppm at 25mph. Max for CO is .49% at 15mph and .40% at 25mph.. Seems like i'm almost there but not quite sure if a brand new cat converter will get me there

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
The tech was nice enough to let me see what was going on while the car was on the machine.. As the speed/load increased, the emissions decreased. My car seems to be far behind with emissions on the 15mph part of the test... I could easily buy a cat converter for it, but i'm sure the richness will kill it eventually.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Do you have a stock downpipe? It has a precat that will help reduce those numbers. Also, I would suggest running on the freeway for 30 minutes prior to the test. That will purge the evap cannister and help you a little. Since you're close, it might just be enough to pass. Doesn't help that the state reduced the HC numbers on us a few years ago.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
For how much longer does your Supra have to pass emissions? I don't know what the California laws are, but I know they are strict. If it isn't for much longer you could buy the cat and hope it lasts long enough until you are in the clear and don't have to worry about emissions.

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
Yeah, stock downpipe is in place. I bought the stock cats from another mk3 owner in my area, don't know the condition they were in so i am going to take my chances and get a new cat.. Thanks for the suggestion, i'll be sure to run it long enough on the freeway.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
CA does not exempt any cars made after 1976, so we are stuck with emission testing forever. That said, CA is actually not that strict on the testing, depending on which county you live in you may not need a biennial smog check, and the check is a much simpler two speed dyno test compared to other states that use a drive cycle test.

Post up your latest numbers.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
3p141592654;1986197 said:
CA does not exempt any cars made after 1976, so we are stuck with emission testing forever. That said, CA is actually not that strict on the testing, depending on which county you live in you may not need a biennial smog check, and the check is a much simpler two speed dyno test compared to other states that use a drive cycle test.

Post up your latest numbers.

Didn't know that. I always just hear about how strict California emissions are but never really looked into it. Its definitely a lot stricter than here in Alabama where we have no inspection at all... Its not uncommon here to see/hear people in their beat up trucks/cars running with no exhaust system at all.

Hopefully you can get it to pass soon 87Burg.

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
I only have HC 120ppm-100ppm, CO 2.0%-1.5%, and NOx 762-701ppm.. Passing for HC is 106ppm - 58ppm, CO is .49% - .40%, and NOX i have no issues with at 10ppm

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
CO indicates a lack of fuel control. It's also why the NOx is down. As 3P said you need to supply the other numbers, especially O2, although I expect it'll be too low to accurately read. That said understand something: the efficiency of a new catalyst may well score a pass but will not resolve the underlying problem and the odds are excellent in two years you'll be right back to where you are now...