Smog inspection, Help!

jerry12345

Jerry
Jan 24, 2007
Elk Grove CA
I should have mailed you guys a very long 2X4 so you could get my attention across the head. Timing was actually at 15btdc. The cams were on the mark. Reset the positioner and it pulled right in.

Started through the trouleshooting chart after doing the timing The O-2 sensor test seems okay. The voltage is pulsing at around 15-17 times per 10 seconds.

The O2 feedback test was as follows: At just above idle the reading was a very solid .023. At 2500 rpm it was pulsing rapidly between 1 & 3V

For the diagnostic mode I got a rock steady 5V

During the Learned mode test got lots of different results:
idle=2.2vdc
1200rpm=4.98
1500rpm=3.5
2500rpm=1.06
I did notice that the idle voltage is very arbitrary. Sometimes it is around the 2.2 level and the next time you let it down it might be very close to 5 volts. Is that normal?
Tomorrow I guess it is time for a compression test.Although the plugs are burning nicely except for the soot No sign of oil.
Hope you have time to figure all this out and let me know where I am pointed.
Thiis is the first time I have had to be this intimate with a car since I puut together a bug-eye Sprite many years ago. The electronics amounted to 2 35 amp fuses and a generator. Those were the good old days.
Thanks for your help.
Jerry

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
So it looks like your O2 sensor is working fine, which is no great surprise given it was replaced recently.

It is normal for Vf to jump around under transient conditions, but it is pretty much constant (at least on my car) for steady state at a given rpm. You might see it vary one step under different cruise conditions. Yours seems odd. Adding alot of fuel at 1200rpm, and then pulling fuel at 2500 rpm does not seem right to me. I assume this behavior is repeatable.

My idle always goes to 2.2 steady state. It will jump around when you release the throttle, but once the rpm settles it goes to 2.2.

I think as JJ says, it may be time for a pro to take a look.

jerry12345

Jerry
Jan 24, 2007
Elk Grove CA
Thanks to one and all. Especially the guys that kept pointing me at leaks. Had a hole in the intercooler and the EGR was loose. I am now smogged. Now it is time for some sanding and painting,
Thanks again.
Jerry

SkyHawk Ecks

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Stockton, CA
Hey, you're in Elk Grove? I'm in Stockton, about 20-30 minutes away (20 if I'm driving the Supra of course) I drive a black 91 turbo. We should meet up some time.

Have you seen a red 90 turbo-targa around that area?

LamaRossa

One and Only LamaRossa
Apr 6, 2005
ct
HEY

TRY THIS

MINE WAS FAILING MISERABLY

1/8 OF TANK

PUT IN 12 BOTTLE OF DRY GAS YELLOW OR RED ONES DOESNT MATTER

DRIVE IT A BIT TO GET THE CAT HOT AND THE DRY GAS INTO THE FUEL SYSTEM

DRIVE TO THE PLACE RIGHT BEFORE GOING IN

TURN YOUR TIMING TO 4 DEG