Small surround sound setup question

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
I've got two yamaha NS-A570 tower speakers (min 10 max 140 watts) and two small speakers from a small stereo system that i want to hook up to make somewhat of a surround sound theme. its obviously no fancy project so can i just wire each speaker into the tv or do i need a reciever to power them. some have told me i need a reciever and some have told me that the speakers arent big enough to need one. so can i just take off the back of the tv and plug the speaker wires into the tv speaker leads??

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
You absolutely NEED an amplifier. Most commonly found in a reciever.

Get a low end 5.1 channel reciever and plug them in to that. The TV outputs are signal only, w/o power. Most any home theatre speaker is meant to be powered by an external source, like a reciever. :)

If you don't have a center channel, then surround sound will not work. You could use stereo in the front and back, but without the center it will not be surround sound.

Good luck!

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
circuit city, best buy, hell even walmart. you can find a decent one from anywhere around 60 to say 200 bucks. for that pricy range your not getting the best but you won't go wrong if you just want a budget setup.

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Alright, well I've got most if this project taken care of except one small problem. When I change the channel on my tv, the audio from the vcr will not follow as I change channels. I can manually change the channel on the vcr to match the tv, but obviously I dont want to have to do that. My set up is cable from wall>vcr in>vcr out>tv. audio is from vcr out>receiver in. video is vcr out>tv in. What could be wrong yet? It has to be something with the vcr. Let me know if you've got any ideas! Thanks

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
sounds like you need the vcr on to change channels.. since you have the cable going into the vcr the vcr then controls the output. shit you know how long its been since I had a vcr.. its like collecting dusk waiting for me to get bored one night and shoot it.