slight accident.. need advice

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
i was getting my mom from the hospital in my 300ZX. im at a stop at a 3 way intersection. i go to make a left and a guy who didnt have his blinker on coming from my right goes to make a left (onto the street im turning off of) nevertheless i hit him in the side at about 5 mph. my car has no damage, literally none, a paint spider crack thats not even noticeable. his has some paint scratches along the side and a large dent in his driverside back door. it was a red neon. i said no cops, i gave him my name number and he took a picture of JUST my license plate. he said hel call me tomorrow with an estimate of the repairs and i agreed id pay him for it. with the information i gave him, can i just not answer his calls and pretend it never happened. say i was no where near there? the only thing is if hes smart enough to go to the hospital they could say i was there getting my mom. couldnt i just say my car was parked in the area and he took a pic of my plate and its bs or something? i need help! i doubt il have the money to fix this. any ideas of estimates? (reason im asking is because i think the damage to his car was done previously. i BARELY tapped him. i didnt even think i did till i saw his car) i wanna just not answer his phone call. what could happen?

heres a pic of his car
http://i68.photobucket.com/alb...a.jpg

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
repairing that costs more than that car is worth. you should have not automatically taken the blame. now you are screwed, unless you can prove that it was infact his fault.

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
kabanimk3supra;1002136 said:
repairing that costs more than that car is worth. you should have not automatically taken the blame. now you are screwed, unless you can prove that it was infact his fault.

what if i just dont answer his calls. what can he do. cant i say that i was parked in the area and that hes making it all up? that he got my name and number from looking at my license plate and typing it into a computer? if it goes to court a lawyer could probably prove how by a license plate a name and cell phone number can be retrieved no?

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
kabanimk3supra;1002136 said:
unless you can prove that it was infact his fault.

That's going to be hard considering he was hit on the drivers side. The person on the right, always has the right of way. Sounds like your caught between a rock and a hard spot. I'm not going to give advice on how to break the law, but I will say if the guy didn't file a report, he's a dumbass. Good luck with it.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
aidanair;1002149 said:
what if i just dont answer his calls. what can he do. cant i say that i was parked in the area and that hes making it all up? that he got my name and number from looking at my license plate and typing it into a computer? if it goes to court a lawyer could probably prove how by a license plate a name and cell phone number can be retrieved no?

That sounds like a terrible idea, I think you should consult a lawyer, just in case.

I don't want to give out advice about something I know a little about.

good luck

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
aidanair;1002149 said:
that he got my name and number from looking at my license plate and typing it into a computer? if it goes to court a lawyer could probably prove how by a license plate a name and cell phone number can be retrieved no?

Not likely.

I will say this. Several years ago I was in the other guy's shoes. It took a while, but I did get my money out of the bitch that hit me.

kabanimk3supra

kabanimk3supra
Apr 11, 2007
oklahoma
Dunckel;1002155 said:
That's going to be hard considering he was hit on the drivers side. The person on the right, always has the right of way. Sounds like your caught between a rock and a hard spot. I'm not going to give advice on how to break the law, but I will say if the guy didn't file a report, he's a dumbass. Good luck with it.

oops, I missed that. thanks for clearing it up.

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
someone else told me just from my license plate im screwed. i dont get that. i can pull any random plate in the area if i say. hit a pole. then go it was him! like how far can he actually get with just my name number and license plate?

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
aidanair;1002172 said:
someone else told me just from my license plate im screwed. i dont get that. i can pull any random plate in the area if i say. hit a pole. then go it was him! like how far can he actually get with just my name number and license plate?

HE, can't do anything with it. But that's enough info to have the police start an investigation.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
This doesn't look good for you. Traffic investigators are very good at what they do. If an investigation starts, your screwed.

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
Dunckel;1002176 said:
This doesn't look good for you. Traffic investigators are very good at what they do. If an investigation starts, your screwed.

im on probation till december thats why i didnt call the cops in the first place.. theyd have ticketed me for careless probably.

anyways.. i appreciate all the advice. i think im going to wait for his call then try and work something out. maybe meet him halfway. he was mexican with a thick accent... he might not be legal :3d_frown: but thats a long shot. anyway, ill keep posted. if any more advice on this matter turns up keep posting. thanks!

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
aidanair;1002179 said:
im on probation till december thats why i didnt call the cops in the first place.. theyd have ticketed me for careless probably.

anyways.. i appreciate all the advice. i think im going to wait for his call then try and work something out. maybe meet him halfway. he was mexican with a thick accent... he might not be legal :3d_frown: but thats a long shot. anyway, ill keep posted. if any more advice on this matter turns up keep posting. thanks!

Lol, this post made me laugh. First, I understand why you didn't want the cops called...It was your fault. And the probation thing probably didn't help your mindset. The worst that would've happened though was you probably would have received a traffic infraction for failure to yield the right of way. No big deal, it's not a crime.

Second, the illegal comment. It was funny, but it wouldn't have mattered in this situation. The cops would have taken his information, but they can't ask if he is a U.S. citizen unless they arrest him. Thanks to the Vienna Convention. Even then the Mexican Consulate doesn't care...Sorry, I got off topic a little there.

I'm not trying to poke fun of you or your comments or anything like that. It's just funny because I can picture you stressing out about how to avoid the entire situation.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Just be a man and pay for the mistake you made. You hit the car and its your fault for hitting it. It doesnt matter if you feel the damage isnt that bad or that you think it was there Before.

The guy was an idiot for not having a police report or insurance info taken from you though.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
I really don't see him having a picture of your plate holding any weight at all. In this day and age it's not particularly difficult to get ahold of someone's Name, Phone number and information as to what car they drive.

I'd be interested to see if the authority's would follow this up as it would open the door to a ton of insurance scams...

Anyway, How you deal with this depends on what kind of person you are but if It were me, I'd have conveniently bought a cell phone and dropped my car off at a body shop for a "touch up" :naughty:*.

*I'm aware that I'll probably be flamed for this comment, but those people who are going to complain probably need to wake up and realize that It's not a very nice world out there....

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
DonS1mpson;1002235 said:
I really don't see him having a picture of your plate holding any weight at all. In this day and age it's not particularly difficult to get ahold of someone's Name, Phone number and information as to what car they drive.

It's not that hard?? Here's my plate number 623-LTS Washington registration. Find out who I am.