Slave Cylinder?

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
So i was driving in my supra today and my clutch got super soft and milky. so i check my fluid. full. bad news. im thinking slave cylinder? also its been leaking a bit for some time now onto my driveway and im positive its brake fluid (from the clutch) so more evidence to the previous... thoughts?

james_9876

Rehabilitation time...
Aug 1, 2007
Spartanburg, SC
If you got a R154 tranny, then jack up the car, secure it and pull of the driver side inspection plate and check for fluid in the bottom of the bell housing. The seals may have gone bad, Slave cylinders from advance is only $45.

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
james_9876 said:
If you got a R154 tranny, then jack up the car, secure it and pull of the driver side inspection plate and check for fluid in the bottom of the bell housing. The seals may have gone bad, Slave cylinders from advance is only $45.

ya but i dont think i could manage to do it myself and mechanics labor charge upwards of 500.. plus they always say its good to replace master cylinder if ur replacing slave

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
No- replacing slave is VERY easy. It's like two bolts that hold the thing on, and the one hard line. I think you'd need a 10mm and 12mm socket, and a 10mm wrench. It takes literally 5 minutes to replace, and once your done, you just bleed it, which is easier than bleeding brakes since the line is much shorter/ more direct.

If you can replace your sparkplugs, you can easily accomplish this task.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
the clutch master cyl is a real PITA to replace but the slave is pretty easy.. just follow the tsrm. i got a new slave cyl from toyota for maybe 38$

Last edited:

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Buy new ones from Toyota. Everyone I know who has purchased aftermarket parts for this has had to replace them again in about a year.

Personally, I think the master cylinder is easy too - pull off the switch panel on the left of the steering wheel, slide your socket in on a couple of 12 inch extensions, and pop off the nuts. Disconnect it from the pedal, pull off the hardline under the hood, and slide it out. Done.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The OP makes two identical threads with the exception that one has a spelling error. Which do I choose to respond to? The correct spelling. What does EVERY other person do? Respond to Slace Cylinder.

:D

Whatever.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
GrimJack said:
Buy new ones from Toyota. Everyone I know who has purchased aftermarket parts for this has had to replace them again in about a year.

Personally, I think the master cylinder is easy too - pull off the switch panel on the left of the steering wheel, slide your socket in on a couple of 12 inch extensions, and pop off the nuts. Disconnect it from the pedal, pull off the hardline under the hood, and slide it out. Done.

you make it sound so easy :( i was hanging my ass upside down in there trying to get that far bolt on Lol. i didnt have the extra 12in extension :(

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
tlo86 said:
you make it sound so easy :( i was hanging my ass upside down in there trying to get that far bolt on Lol. i didnt have the extra 12in extension :(
Neither did I. So I drove to the local auto parts place, and bought 4 12 inch, 3 4 inch, and a couple of the really short ones.

Can't have too many extensions hanging about.

PS: I got the ones with the mini-wobble setting, too. :)

aidanair

Cops Love Me
Aug 27, 2007
Marlboro
yea i got it fixed.. it was the master cylinder. but now im leaking oil. i swear its one thing after another with this car. plus i cracked a hose. so its parked for a few days.

iamshawn

codename: HENRO
Nov 2, 2005
Houston
I just bought a rebuilt Slave cylinder from oreilley today $(24.05 + 15 core charge) to go with the full length clutch line that i just recieved today from drifmotion.. took like 10 mins to get the old one off and put the new one in. Most of the 10 mins was trying to get the fitting at the end of the line off the old slave cylinder since it was rusted in and then stripped by the 10mm wrench i was using it break it off. Since i was replacing the line and the slave cylinder i cut the stock hardline then put a 10mm deep socket onto the electric impact gun. Throw it back in the box for $15 core.

(^___^)-b