Silencer with 1jz setup... how does it sound?

ocerrahyan

Feb 13, 2009
maryland
Hey guys, still debating on whether i should get the 75mm HKS from DM or go with Raptor's catback. Both have great customer service and i commend both for that. Bottom line though - since i already have a 3 inch exhaust that loud as garbage (sounds nice though) it is just tooooo loud for any type of communication to take place within the car. I have a 1992 Supra with a 1jz. Its has a 3inch DP with a 3inch high flow cat and APEXi N1 catback. I was wondering if i should just get the 115mm silencer for the N1 canister..... Most silencers i hear on the street sound like pure garbage but that might be due to them being smaller displacement engines (ie Honda and such) but on a boxer they sound decent and not "whiffy" or "raspy"

Since mine is a 1jz and is obviously a fairly small displacement motor, id like to know if any of you who have 1jz can chime in about the silencers you are using or have heard of. Mine is obviously not going to have the nice boar-ish growl of the 7m or 2jz due to lack of displacement, but if you have a 1jz can you please share? Ive searched on youtube but to no-avail, ive found nothing except one sc300 and that was just not a quality vid.

My bumpers are off on the car getting resprayed, so in the time being, id like to know if a $75 silencer from Apexi is worth it or will it just sound like garbage...

attached is a pic of the car before the bumpers were removed (no relevance to the post but thought i would share)

I do all the work myself as i do for all my cars and have had this car since 1997. I paint my own cars as well as i am doing with the bumpers through a 1.3 Iwata Supernova.

Attachments

• IMG_20120131_173904.jpg
    IMG_20120131_173904.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20120131_183531 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20120131_183531 - Copy.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20120315_125454 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20120315_125454 - Copy.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20120315_125512 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20120315_125512 - Copy.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 22

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Beautiful car man... reminds me, mine needs a bath. :p

As for the silencer, I have a 3" Blitz Nur-spec with a silencer. I only use it for road trips to control the natural drone/rasp of the 1j. Around town though, I tend to leave it out, given that I've nearly been ran off the road a couple times by people in trucks/suvs that can't be bothered to look before changing lanes, so I tend to make my presence known.

Does it sound bad with the silencer? No, sound is about the same, just about 10db lower overall. Has a bit of a wheeze at higher rpm, but not too bad. Power wise, it maybe costs me 5-10hp at the top end, but feels about the same everywhere else. :)

By the way, what is this: "I paint my own cars as well as i am doing with the bumpers through a 1.3 Iwata Supernova"

ocerrahyan

Feb 13, 2009
maryland
te72;1827630 said:
Beautiful car man... reminds me, mine needs a bath. :p

As for the silencer, I have a 3" Blitz Nur-spec with a silencer. I only use it for road trips to control the natural drone/rasp of the 1j. Around town though, I tend to leave it out, given that I've nearly been ran off the road a couple times by people in trucks/suvs that can't be bothered to look before changing lanes, so I tend to make my presence known.

Does it sound bad with the silencer? No, sound is about the same, just about 10db lower overall. Has a bit of a wheeze at higher rpm, but not too bad. Power wise, it maybe costs me 5-10hp at the top end, but feels about the same everywhere else. :)

By the way, what is this: "I paint my own cars as well as i am doing with the bumpers through a 1.3 Iwata Supernova"

Thanks bro - i might just go buy the tip and try. We will see. Yea one of my early jobs when i was younger was a paint boy..i worked in a body shop just started by taping and masking things. I later apprenticed as a painter and now that i know, ive painted about 5 cars (3 of them my own) Its a great hobby but it requires patience and prep (90% of the work is prep)
The Iwata Supernova is a very good paint gun with a 1.3 tip. I recommend it to all amatuers...usually with good practice its glass smooth out of the gun and theres no need to wetsand and buff the clear. Only drawback is really waiting to reserve the paint booth at Maaco (for a small fee some will let you) since you want to have good...no GREAT.. ventilation and a downdraft system.
I used to be a diesel mechanic too and a regular auto mechanic so i have done all my engine builds and mods etc.. I do some work for local Supra and DSM guys here around Maryland DC and VA.
Im 30 and still love working on cars and its just pure fun on the side and maybe some extra cash.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Cool man, you'll have to let us know how the Apexi sounds silenced. :)

As for body work, I tend to leave that stuff to a couple friends and my brother. I've always been more of the driver. ;)