signs of turbos on their way out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
supramike7m;1302561 said:
hey guys just figure id ask ive been getting blue smoke while idiling and only seems to smoke once i really get on it. what do you guys think?

There on there way out. mines are doing the same. start saving up!

i thought it was normal for the car to smoke black when you really get on it, because the fuel ratio is fricken high as hell. Lots of the fuel is not getting burned. Am i not thinking correct? Mine has been smoking a bit whenever i get on it and i am running 15lbs of boost. On stock boost, i havent noticed it much. It has been doing this for over 2 years now.

Last edited:

Nalleywhacker

Formerly gnarkill87
Oct 2, 2006
chattanooga,TN
viperkillertt;1302618 said:
i thought it was normal for the car to smoke when you really get on it, because the fuel ratio is fricken high as hell. Lots of the fuel is not getting burned. Am i not thinking correct? Mine has been smoking a bit whenever i get on it and i am running 15lbs of boost. On stock boost, i havent noticed it much. It has been doing this for over 2 years now.

Its never normal for a car to smoke, and he's having problems with smoke at idle after running it hard. and if you've been running 15psi on stock twins for two years, its only a matter of time for you too.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Yes smoke at idle after a pull is a sign that the turbos may be out. Then again I drove my car for 2 summers like that and the stock twins still pull hard. It is just embarrassing when you sit at lights hahah.

Nalleywhacker;1302815 said:
Its never normal for a car to smoke, and he's having problems with smoke at idle after running it hard. and if you've been running 15psi on stock twins for two years, its only a matter of time for you too.
I only turn it up to 15lbs every once in a while. I usually keep it around 5lbs when i am driving just by using my foot and watching the boost gauge. They feel very smooth.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
To know for sure, remove all the IC piping and intake stuff to check for shaft play on both turbos. But it is probably safe to say that they are junk, Toyota turbo's seals arent the best:3d_frown: especially old, abused turbos!

-Sam

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
Blue smoke means that oil is being burnt. Could mean turbo oil seals but it could be valve seals as well. On such an old car, my guess is the turbo oil seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.