Signs Of Clutch Master/Slave Dieing

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Over the last week or so my clutch pedal has felt like it doesnt take as much to push it in. Sometimes the car is hard to go into 1st and reverse, but not always. But it shifts fine all other gears.

What are some signs of the master or slave dieing?

Neither are leaking from what i can see and there is some pressure you can feel it in the pedal but it doesnt feel like it use too.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 6, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
The master cylinder failure mode is hydraulic fluid leaking past the piston seals. If you have oil residue on you interior foot well carpet, then that's an indication of it leaking. Otherwise it's still good. The slave fails similarly by leaking or the piston accordion boot have been compromised. If neither of these are evident, then the gear box is now showing it's age.
You can also check if the rubber line have been compromised / damaged.

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
Same with me. It's now gotten to the point where the pedal just sticks to the floor. Fatty leak with my nice carpet stained (p_.) . . .
Ordered a master and slave off of DM.

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
nothings leaking that i can see or feel. ill be 100% sure tomorrow when i can jack the car up and take a closer look.

so its sounding like its just me. the car was shifting actually the best it ever has tonight. so it prolly is just me.

and the car shifts fine blackdevil it just feels like the pedal takes less pressure to push now.

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
I felt the same way too. Shifted fine, no leaks that I could see. But the pedal was getting spongier and spongier by the weeks. Engaging almost near to the floor.

Hope all goes well for you.

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
ERA;1267503 said:
I felt the same way too. Shifted fine, no leaks that I could see. But the pedal was getting spongier and spongier by the weeks. Engaging almost near to the floor.

Hope all goes well for you.

yea me too seems to always find something when a track day is nearing :3d_frown:

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
i checked today and it had full throw but it looked like the slave might be leaking from the boot.

i guess ill just buy the parts and wait.

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have just recently started to have a weird symptom. As the pedal tarvels back up, it will hang for a sec, then "pop" back up. I bled it once before 'cause it felt like it was not engaging until near the floor (becomes harder to push shifter into 1st gear).

No leaks at the time before and it's been raining here, so it may be difficult to spot one now. Master does not seem to be leaking. I do have a spare slave cylinder, but it is also used.

Autozone's got one with a limited lifetime warranty for about $30. I was thinking of doing the rebuild (~$10) on the spare and popping it on, just for good measure. Anyone else done a rebuild on theirs? Tips?

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
ah i see. ive got a friend who works there so maybe i can get a discount :)

thanks for the info i didnt know they had lifetime warrantys, one more question tho are they good quality? the lifetime warranty is cool but if im gonna have to replace it every 3 months then its gonna be a pain in the ass.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Well.... Luckily, I think it's easy enough to replace if it comes to that.

I hear alot of other's opinions on Autozone's or other parts stores' rebuilt items, but have actually had good success in this regard. I've bought a/c compressors, brake & clutch master cylinders, starters, and vatious other items and have only once had an issue. It was with a brake master cylinder which was making the rear wheels drag.

Took a bit to convince the clerk that the new master cylinder was the issue, but they replaced it and all was good.

Anyways, I am getting the rebuild kit from another parts store (O'Reilly's) for about $11, so I am going to try that. Have never rebuilt a slave cylinder but would like to, so going to try it with my spare one. I may install the spare (hopefully it's still very good), and just rebuild the one that's on there now.

SupaMan

Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Yea thats a good idea. from what i hear the slave is the easy one to replace the master is the pain in the ass because the bolts thread in from the inside of the car.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Well... I decided to bleed the system again and buy some time.

Looks like I can finally see something wet along the firewall... = Master Cylinder.

Gonna take a couple of days to get one from Autozone (longer from others) for about $46.

If you think yours is on he way out and you are relying on your Sup as a daily driver, check availability. You do not want to be stuck with a 3+ day wait. If I get to the store and put cash on it tonight, I should have it in another day and a half. Other places can't for about about 4 days...

Workaround

I had the master go out once on another Supra a few years back. I happened to have a 6 foot CAT5 cable with me. The pedal dropped to the floor and it was what I used to pull the pedal up to shift. It was VERY difficult when making turns, but allowed me to make it to the autoparts to pick up what I needed and get back somewhere where I could replace it. You can probably use a string, or even a CAT3 network cable though :icon_bigg

Last edited:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Latest status:
Replaced the MC and the clutch pedal would stay on the floor (tho it "popped" up while bleeding).

I removed the MC and adjusted the rod/pedal height and still a pop. Did the rebuild on the slave (extremely easy to do BTW), then bled again. Pedal comes back up w/a pop. I think the reman master cylinder is bad. No leaks tho.

Anyways, waiting on a master cyl rebuild kit. Hopefully things go well and my trip to TX2K9 isn't compromised by this stupid deal...

FYI... That hidden nut on the MC is easy to get to if you use one of those ratchets where the handle turns and ratchets too. It also worked great for the top bolt on th slave.