Significant power loss once at OP-temp

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Now, I've had this issue a long time. I'd have to say through the duration of my ownership of this engine (since its first chassis to the third). I'm just tired of it and out of ideas.

Issue: Significant power loss once at op temp.

Changes in conditions: I have significant power through temps just above the 'C' mark on the T-stat gauge to about just above the 1/3 mark. Once at op temp however, I notice a large amount of power loss. It goes from whipping me back in my seat to just kind of getting through the gears as if I was on a stock CT26 at 12psi (vs. my 57trim at 16psi). I'd be very curious the difference on the dyno for actual numbers but do not currently have the available funds.

Possible causes(?): heat soaked pipes (for some reason they are SS IC pipes, not sure what ETS was thinking on that one for a $1000 IC kit) and intake may be taking in much hotter air once the engine bay heats up. Now I can see some loss in this, but not to the degree I feel. One other consideration that could drastically affect power, knock sensors. Is it possible a knock sensor could be outputting numbers within a valid range to the ECU but false readings causing poor timing, poor power? It makes sense since at op temp is when all the readings start to kick in, just not 100% sure if its a possible scenario with the knock sensors.

Any insight is welcome.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Warm compression would be better than cold compression. They tell us to run the airplane engines before compression testing them. It makes it fun to handle a spark plug at operating temperatures.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Zumtizzle;1794943 said:
How's warm compression?

IndigoMKII;1794952 said:
Warm compression would be better than cold compression. They tell us to run the airplane engines before compression testing them. It makes it fun to handle a spark plug at operating temperatures.

lol at Indigo.

Unsure, something Ill have to check. One thing I did notice if after longer term driving (ie over an hour) my TPS actually begins to malfunction in the sense about 10% normal throttle becomes 0% according to SAFC. One more thing to look into. Im curious what kind of temp levels it takes for a TPS to go out of range/'calibration' like that.