*sighs* overheating???

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
ok, now that its 105 plus degrees in calif, i have developed a new problem....can you guess what, :3d_frown:, i went to a show this past weekend, drove about 150 or so miles one way...when....the guage started to get hot, ran for a while at around 3/4.....

now....i kept driving, only because it would cool itself back down to ablut half. now i have the flex-a-light fans on it with the thermastatic controller set at lowest temp, fluidyne radiator, stock ct-26, the car runs perfect, now...ive had the car checked for b.h.g. even though i have the mls on it, and everything came back negative, now, i have been told to take the electric fans off cause they suck...but i say, in town...cooling is fine, no probs, only on the freeway, here's the senario.....

heading north on interstate 5, about 80 or so, temp is ok, im keeping an eye on it, then it starts to get to 5/8 up, then 3/4 and kinda stays around that area, after slowing to bout 70 it cools off a bit, but....few miles later climbs back to 3/4 and teases to go higher...now the weird part.....

i thought, turn the heater on, see what it does....well shoot...it cooled all the way down to 1/4, and stayed there, BUT...on the way home, 2 days later....it did not cool it down, it was 3/4 to about 2 lines under the red allllll the way home, and when i hit an accidesnt i thought..CRAP, it gonna way over heat.....NOPE.....cooled right down...well, bout to half way,

ok, now that you have a small idea of the hell this thing is doing, i did notice that my heater hoses are routed all wrong, and i know this cause i looked at 4 others. any ideas on what i can check????:1zhelp:

Supra90gr

Feb 12, 2009
Connecticut
your thermostat is probably bugging out or you have air pockets in the system. and well, post some pictures of the hoses that are hooked up wrong.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
Supra90gr;1354350 said:
your thermostat is probably bugging out or you have air pockets in the system. and well, post some pictures of the hoses that are hooked up wrong.

i will work on getting pics tonight or the next, as far as it being a problem with a part, i have changed everything, wp, therm, belts, radiator, ect, and i have put in 4 "new" thermostats, this last one is from toyota, so the chances of it being that....very slim 4 in a row being bad.

air pocket....i have not ruled thatout, i have "bled" the system, even jacked the car up so far the muff was on the ground, ran it with cap off fer 4 hours, no exageration.....dunno what to do.......:aigo:

StiCk3

Apr 25, 2009
->IN<-
It doesn't sound like an airflow problem as when the coolant temp gets too high the fans kick in to compensate. That's the coolant going up and down on your gauge

Check that the pressure cap is holding pressure properly. I had this problem on another car very similar to this. It kept overheating and dumping coolant on the floor (this was GM's overflow method). Turned out that the cap wasn't holding pressure thus lowering the boiling point and causing it to overheat. If it isn't the cap, find a coolant pressure tester and see if it looses pressure somewhere else.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^hes running e fans... check your wiring and temp sensor. and pressure check the rad cap.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
hvyman;1354782 said:
^hes running e fans... check your wiring and temp sensor. and pressure check the rad cap.

yea, fans come on and cool the motor perfect, cap is good, new and tested, remember that is get hots on freeway, i.e. at 80mph it will get bout 2 lil lines under red H...then, if i get off freeway...it will cool it down np, so idk, im baffled, i found a water flow diagram that shows the flow through the motor...and with the way my hoses were hooked up on the head to the heater contol valve, the wp was fighting itself, at high rpm, so well see.....any other ideas?

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
well, i decided to figure this out, so i took everything apart, checked for pin holes in air lines, bla bla, all was good, the culpret.....cracked turbo, was also causing my ratling noises. i had one crack by the water inlet on the compressor housing, and two on the wastegate outlet on the exhaust side. new 60 trim boss jr being installed, yyeeeaaaaaa :evil2:

boostaddict

Jul 23, 2008
connecticut
when you got the fluidyne did it come with a new cap? if so try putting the stock one back on. id have to say its either that, you got a stubburn air pocket, or a bad thermostat.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
boostaddict;1374371 said:
when you got the fluidyne did it come with a new cap? if so try putting the stock one back on. id have to say its either that, you got a stubburn air pocket, or a bad thermostat.

it pays to read all posts before hitting the reply button :p

qu3tzlgum8y

Jan 5, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, California
soo.. did changing the turbo fix the problem? I'm having the same problem right now.. only on the freeway going uphill it gets up to about 3/4.. otherwise around town and level ground its fine.. I'm thinking BHG for me :cry:

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
qu3tzlgum8y;1375929 said:
soo.. did changing the turbo fix the problem? I'm having the same problem right now.. only on the freeway going uphill it gets up to about 3/4.. otherwise around town and level ground its fine.. I'm thinking BHG for me :cry:

mine did the exact same thing, mine ended up being the turbo. i would venture to say that if you have the stock composite hg, it may be that, but i have a mls cometic with arp studs, even though EVERYONE pointed me twords the bhg and away from the turbo, i just couldnt see the hg thing, sure enough, turbo was cracked in 3 places.

did some resurch on the ct-26, and i found that from the factory, they are prone to cracking. i replaced mine with one from suprasport. got the 60t boss jr. jack puts up with my endless babbling on the phone, so hes cool im my book, lol:icon_bigg

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
SupraSportJack;1374354 said:
How did the install go on the Jr?....see I was right on the phone! Email me some install pics, turbo should have arrived today!

install went smoother than i thought. that install kit is awsome, glad i got it. turbo looks great, gotta get used to the new powerband, lol, definatly a whole nother beast than that pos ct-26.i am trying to fab up something so i can put my heat sheild back on and my dip stick. unless you already have brackets i can put on there made up already, lol. i will mail you some pics jack when i can figure out my new phone! few more parts and this will be a "l i p p" car, :evil2: