*sigh*

LexingtonBlue

May 30, 2005
Tacoma
My '88 Turbo has been 'dead' for about 4-6 months, and this week I've decided to try and make it start and run straight (CPS prob. timming, etc...), and I just got it to start without hesitations like before. I am proud of myself on this part.

Last month I bought an '89 Turbo with Headgasket replaced last year....car was completely stock...until I swapped all performance parts from '88 turbo onto it...then I started to notice tapping (clicking?) sound inside the 6th engine. Switched back to stock 440's and the sound kind of went away...for a lil bit...then it returned back again...so I my guess about faulty Venom 550's was wrong (at least for that part). So, I put the Venoms back on.....then on Sunday, the tapping/clicking started to sound like DUB DUB DUB/CLUNK CLUNK. I stopped and asked my wife to step on the gas while I walk really far away...and it was LOUD! :3d_frown: My next option would be putting those stock 440's back on to confirm Rod-to-the-Knock, if I put the stock 440's back on and the clunk clunk goes away...then it's probably faulty Venoms? (Plus I know there's a valve stem seal leak/breakage in there).

Back to the '88 Turbo:
Started her up....revved her up and set my ears to specifically detect ANY knocking/tapping/clicking noise....and.....NO NOISE....WHOO-HOO! She roared like WHOA!...being 240K old and leaking oil....I still give her props for that.

NOW:
Surprisingly, wife's being supportive about this and suggested that I'd sell BOTH of them....and get the MK4 after a while. I used to love the MK4...but after spending quality time with MK3's, I'd rather buy another MK3.

I would like to ask for suggestions/opinions:

1) Swap the no-harm-noise 240K motor to the '89 (and do MHG/studs/main studs/etc...), and sell the '88 (with '89's engine) as is?
2) Sell both cars and get MK4 in a few months? (Cannot buy another MK3, as she said)
3) (You fill this in)

I'm going through a hard time with my supra's, and I appreciate your time for reading, and advice. Thanks

p.s. The '88 is ~240K, and the '89 is 176K