Sigh..Rod Knock

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
Alright i think i have rod knock.. well im pretty sure i do.. it is a tick tick tick and gets louder as the rpms go up... its not a loud tick at the moment but it has gotten worse...

HG was replaced like 5kmiles ago coolant was changed and oil was changed after ... but i guess my rod got contaminated? Oil pressure has been strong and everything has been running good expect a few problems over ths summer vacum leaks and a few things here and there...

so my question is if i contiune to drive it with the knock can i blow up my car? to fix it i will need like 2k for parts right even if i do it myself? Can i reuse my mhg and arp studs? i have to get to the bottom end of the motor to fix it all together right?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
You *can* reuse your MHG, but it's not necessarily recommended. Spray both surfaces of it with some brake quiet if you plan to reuse it.

It doesn't take much to spin a bearing. All it needs it to touch once, and it's done.

You will do more damage if you keep driving it. Park it. It's for the better.

Make sure it's rodknock. pull one injector clip at a time and see if the knock goes away. When it does, that's the cylinder with a bad bearing.

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
hmm so maybe i dont have it? i pulled an injector at a time and it never went away... i would have thought that say when i pulled the the 6th injector the noise what have stopped or something like that but it stayed the same all the way....

thoughts now?

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Is it a fast tapping or a slow tapping? Does it sound like its coming from the head?

It could just be valve tap/worn out shims.

My knocking was bad enough that when I pulled the injectors it didnt go away, But my bearing was completely hammered and very loud.

PorterzSupra

Oct 25, 2005
Hebron CT
"All it needs is to touch once, and it's done" To touch what Supra90turbo??

I guess most of the time its a rod bearing, is it also common for a crank bearing to go or are they less likely?

The only 2 theorys I have herd to rod knock is low on oil or water in the oil, why do they refer to it as "spun a bearing"

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
bigal0043 said:
its a fast tick noise... like ticktickticktick... what would valve tap need to be fixed? how much would worn out shims entail to fixing?
Shuims arent too expensive, just a PITA! a major one. when its at that point,i wouldnt reuse your head, id just get a NA head instead IIRC.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Could it be that he just has the import tick. my nissan has done it since new, my friends hondas have it, and friends toyotas have it. it sounds like a constant tick and never goes away, no matter what?

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Shims arent that bad. If you have a manual it tells you everything you will need to do.

Id say buy a nice micrometer to measure the shims with. It might not even be worn shims, could just be a bad cam lobe.

You said it was coming from the #6 area right? So at least youve narrowed it down to the back half the valves. Using a stethoscope might help you out a little.

C

cnewingham

na head and turbo head are the same. difference is in the intake cam on some years.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
I strongly urge everyone to invest in a mechanics stethoscope.
Porter: I don't know if you really understand how bearings work, but they are designed so the surfaces don't ever touch each other. When they do, they knick, and start to make noise.
Every bearing surface is designed so that the moving parts float on a cushion of oil.