side molding

nosuprayoua

Jan 4, 2010
hawaii
does anyone know where/what the pegs look like that hold the side molding on? or if they have em anywhere? i tried the 3m tape and i dunno whether it was something i did or didnt do but it didnt exactly stick well. anybody got a good way on gettin these bad boys on?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
There are plastic clips that are slid onto the clip retainers behind the molding, unless those retainers were ripped off the molding, then you would probably need to replace the molding, or push in new ones and then melt the holding tabs onto the retainer so it doesnt fall off.

nosuprayoua

Jan 4, 2010
hawaii
lordy, why havent i thought of that. any ol' plastic 'peg' from an auto store should do? of course, with the right size?
i have the white retainers youre talking about but the pegs themselves are awol.

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
i have no clue as to if auto stores carry them, are you 89+ or pre-89? I have a thread on the for sale section usually i stop by the junkyard once a week. I can get you the white retainers for the door moldings if you want :)

nosuprayoua

Jan 4, 2010
hawaii
89+. the thing is, the white square retainers are still on my molding, its just the retiners themselves, the 'prongs, pegs, clips' whatever theyre called arent there.

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
When I pulled mine off my 90 some of it was held on with what looks like black glue from a hot glue gun, it held fine I had no idea

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
modmonster2008;1664914 said:
They should be the same as pre-89 retaining clips, ill try to get a hold of a few at the junkyard and then snap some pics, we should be able to see if they are similar.

They're totally different for the most part and cannot be bought through Toyota separate from the moldings (-so I was told from multiple sources including Toyota).

Knowing that, I decided to machine the old pre89 ones to the shape of the 89+ with a grinding wheel. What that entailed was basically making them rectangular (89+) instead of square (pre89), and making the base thin and flat instead of thick with protrusions on the bottom. Another recommended step is to order more rubber grommets that help to secure the tabs once they are pushed onto the car.

I also reapplied 3M molding tape to all the locations I could see that it came attached to in OE form.

nosuprayoua

Jan 4, 2010
hawaii
so i found a good solution.
this is what i was left with.
on my car
p1665172_1.jpg

on the back of the molding itself
sm_photo_missing.jpg

i went to napa and got some clips from napa and cut them to slide into the retainers. left is uncut, right is cut.
p1665172_2.jpg

slid them in place. this one isnt in all the way though.
p1665172_3.jpg