Shytheed Gets Serious

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Okay, so I started a build thread that I never saw through, but this time it's for real.

First of all, I decided to go with a complete longblock to start things off. I just couldn't go in for a full build from scratch by myself after seeing so many failures from other people, and I just didn't feel ready, so I went looking for somebody who could get it done with confidence and a good price. When I got looking for builders it came down to a few possibilities, but in the end I went with Legend of Aces for a few reasons:

1. Pat claims 10 7M builds without known failure to date....
2. Legend of Aces is also an aviation company, and having grown up with friends who have come from multiple generation aviators, I know the attention to specs/detail/discipline it takes to put airplanes in the sky.
3. The price was right, and anything more than I would've spent on my own was insurance well spent.

So my goals are simple; A reliable 350 - 400 rwhp 7MGTE. Who could want for more? :) I've picked up a few BPU's along the way, but needed a few more to go with my LoA's "Package 2" to get there....

RC 550cc Injectors, Aeromotive AFPR kit from DM, NGK plugs/wires...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

6 puck sprung clutch set from Kentucky Clutch (ridiculously priced!), Walbro fuel pump and 12v rewire, and new fuel filter...
p1107428_1.jpg

...and a genuine Spearco IC with near perfect fins and no more than 6k miles...
p1107428_2.jpg

So I started by 'out with the old'
p1107428_3.jpg

and 'in with the new'
p1107428_4.jpg

And then I got busy cleaning up the engine bay, but need to get some touch up paint...
p1107428_5.jpg

Last edited:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Highlights on the longblock include,
  • Clevite 77 bearings
  • ARP Mains, Rods & Head Studs
  • ~14 RA on Block & Head
  • Titan MHG
  • Stock Rods/Pistons
  • Toyota Rings
  • 6M Crank
  • Clean as hell!

When I got looking at my new longblock, it was obvious my old stuff looked like shat, so I cleaned up my intake mani, and hit it and my 3000 pipe with new paint. Here they are sitting on the engine...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

As for my turbo setup, my low mile CT26-57 took a shit, so I'm going with a used full T4 setup and should have it in next week with pics to come. It's not everything I hoped for, but it's a seriously cost effective way to get the car back on the road until I can save up the cash for a turbo that I really want.

Last edited:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
So now that I've got all of my showing off done, it's time to ask a few (possibly stupid) questions...

1. How can I clean out my heater core while everything's out? Everything is going to be clean, but I know the water in my heater core is really bad... What's the best way to get it cleaned out?

2. I've got a stud with a permanent hex nut about half way through it with a standard nut in my "lower intake mani" baggie, and I can't figure out where it's supposed to go...

3. More stupid, "oops I forgot where that went" questions to come! :)

More pics coming after my turbo setup comes in!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
That looks an awful lot like a XTD clutch. Not trying to criticize, I just want to warn you so you don't have to pull it back out as soon as your break in is done. The XTD did me proud under 300, but it's hated around 400.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Lol, nothing's changed Aaron. ;) The only reason I'm upgrading my turbo is that my 1st upgraded CT26 didn't last, and I'm getting this whloe setup for quite a bit less than a new 57 trim CT26 would cost. It's all about the dollar. :)

No offense taken on the clutch. I went this route because of a few local recommendations. I know of one case where it didn't hold, but it was far in excess of 400hp. Half the reason I'm limiting myself to no more than 400 is because of the clutch... hopefully it holds.

No turbo delivery today. :cry: Maybe tomorrow!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Way to go Kurt........The black and red on your 3000 pipe is a great touch as well. I know that has to make about six or seven rwhp difference and it looks good to boot.

I've really been wanting a build thread to keep up with since certain members on here never finish their builds, but I wouldn't ever call out any names...........they know who they are............:evil2:

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Shytheed Dumas;1107779 said:
Lol, nothing's changed Aaron. ;) The only reason I'm upgrading my turbo is that my 1st upgraded CT26 didn't last, and I'm getting this whloe setup for quite a bit less than a new 57 trim CT26 would cost. It's all about the dollar. :)

No offense taken on the clutch. I went this route because of a few local recommendations. I know of one case where it didn't hold, but it was far in excess of 400hp. Half the reason I'm limiting myself to no more than 400 is because of the clutch... hopefully it holds.

No turbo delivery today. :cry: Maybe tomorrow!

I know when it comes to managing a budget you reign supreme.Any info on this bargain turbo setup?

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
Awesome work you've got done there Kurt. That sure is one clean looking 7M. :D

I keep thinking about when I went through all that, lol my engine bay looked exactly the same, even down to the ARP sticker.
I hope it's all you are expecting it to be and if you need any help, just let me know.

BTW, I never even mounted that exhaust, instead I dropped some money on a Tanabe :D

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
No worries, Jay! This build up will be done... I'm too far into it to bail. Stay tuned! :bigthumb:

Aaron, I was going to show off my bargain turbo set up all at once, but I'll give a teaser now. Any idea what you can get for $425 + shipping? :naughty: Hey, how about an update on your car? Gonna have the keys anytime soon? I think when these two are done, we'll have to have an informal meet up somewhere in town.

Thanks Drew! We'll have to see how close our cars look when it's all done. Good move going with the Tanabe. :) That was my first choice, but a $250 HKS Drager was too good to pass on. Regarding help, that's something I don't turn away. I'm taking every Friday off of that I can until the job's done, if anybody's interested in stopping in. Free pizza for anybody willing to turn a wrench! ;) The weekends are so busy that a Friday 7 - 5 works is all that I have for Supra time, and I squeeze in whatever little time I can during the week. It doesn't work well for many people, but it's my time.

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Shytheed Dumas;1107913 said:
Aaron, I was going to show off my bargain turbo set up all at once, but I'll give a teaser now. Any idea what you can get for $425 + shipping? :naughty: Hey, how about an update on your car? Gonna have the keys anytime soon? I think when these two are done, we'll have to have an informal meet up somewhere in town.

$425 you say. I bet you grabbed a holset, but ill wait until your unveiling :evil2:

My car is chilling, just waiting for me to get this bill knocked out. Ive got it down to about half way. Ive got some more money to take them this week. Its coming along though i cant wait :) Yes definetly we can have an informal meet up. Happy Hour at Joe's Pt. 2!!!!

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
What did you paint your intake with?

I'm about ready to clean mine and was thinking about painting it as well.

Lookin good Kurt!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Pictures of turbo set up or I will be forced to shut this thread down...............OH wait, I'm a nobody. Nevermind..................Can we please have some pictures of said turbo?