Should I?

supra2jz

Aug 3, 2009
los angeles
I have been looking into buying a supra mk3 and i found one the guy is willing to give it to me for $400. Its a 1987 non-turbo and it has a blown head gasket. Interior is okay, exterior has a few dents and needs a paint job.

Do you think its a good deal?

Im planning to swap out the engine later on to a 7m-gte or 2jz-gte.

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
supra2jz;1392539 said:
I have been looking into buying a supra mk3 and i found one the guy is willing to give it to me for $400. Its a 1987 non-turbo and it has a blown head gasket. Interior is okay, exterior has a few dents and needs a paint job.

buy buy buy if not let me have the num ill take on another project i love the f#^$ cars so much and go 2jz imo it would be bad ass

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
for 400 you cant really go wrong so long as you have a couple g's to get her going again. jz swaps usually run 4-8k depending on what you exactly you do.

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
supra2jz;1392539 said:

Depends on if you want the car to drive right now, or want to wait till later. Hav the extra cash to shell out?

Know that buying a really nice MKIII will be cheaper then buying a $400 car that you have no idea what else could be wrong, given the fact you can't start it. You can very easily find yourself saying "Shit, all the money i've put in thi I could have bought a damn nice GTE!"

A lot of us have learned that the hard way, myself included.

Example: My second Supra (The 86.5 Burgundy I'm parting out). Was $700 dollars, non-turbo automatic w/ a BHG.

I got down to pulling the head off and the block was cracked internally. Bought another engine from a buddy for 600, put that in, and the transmission went out. Put a new transmission in, and the engine locked up.

I'ms till to this very moment smacking myself. Counting all the random little shit i've done i've spent over 4k on the car, and Now i'm parting the bitch out to make room for a 4 Cylinder from an MR2, lol.

If you hve room and the wallet for a shell, I say do it. If not, wait it out and find the right 7M-GTE car you want and save the money, and have a grin on your face because of it :icon_bigg

Zer0

karlmk3

Jul 18, 2009
thornton
i totaly agree with him on that my project is my baby but i so badly just wish i could drive it. but at the same time when you rebuild it mke it better faster. the car becomes you your blood sweat and more blood and alot of money lol but still i can say i built it from the groun up full resto baby :love:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
just find a good 7m engine and rebuild it. have the head checked out thoroughly. its shouldnt cost much more than maybe 1500 to do a complete rebuild stock with quality parts and a mhg + machining.

supra2jz

Aug 3, 2009
los angeles
supra2jz;1392539 said:

Here is a few pics

Attachments

• SDC11110.jpg
    SDC11110.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 24
  • SDC11111.jpg
    SDC11111.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 18
  • SDC11112.jpg
    SDC11112.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 16
  • SDC11113.jpg
    SDC11113.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 19

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
does it have 35 sidewall tires? honestly its a piece. you'd be better of finding one for like a 1k or 2k in better condition.

san supra

May 21, 2009
san antonio
my car cost me 4k cuz it ran great when i got it but now its fucked so your ahead of the game no matter what you do.
if you got money in da bank shorty what u thank!:biglaugh:

7mgtorC

Formerly SupraMann
Mar 5, 2008
California
Not for you Derik. You need something running, well taken care of. Call Acosta. He has a mint condition 89 that i was going to buy. Old man really took care of that car and will probably let it go for about $1300. A great deal and in excellent project as i know you like the 89s style a lot more. Thats exactly what you need.

supra2jz

Aug 3, 2009
los angeles
7mgtorC;1392633 said:
Not for you Derik. You need something running, well taken care of. Call Acosta. He has a mint condition 89 that i was going to buy. Old man really took care of that car and will probably let it go for about $1300. A great deal and in excellent project as i know you like the 89s style a lot more. Thats exactly what you need.

hey isn't acosta's car automatic transmission?